Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgrading VB.NET projects that wked fine with MS Office XP to work w/ MS Office 2007

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Upgrading VB.NET projects that wked fine with MS Office XP to work w/ MS Office 2007

For security reasons, I upgraded MS Office XP to MS Office 2007. A family of VB.NET projects that worked fine with MS Office XP immediately have unhandled COM exceptions with MS Office 2007. Each is just enough different from the rest that a single cookie-cutter fix does not work for the entire lot.

As I recall, I need to right-click on the solution and go to the Configuration Manager. Once I reach the Configuration Manager, I need to change 'any CPU' to 'X86'. That usually takes care of the problem for that particular VB.NET project. I think there is something wrong with my recollection, as I am encountering difficulty in reaching the Configuration Manager in every one of the seven programs currently in the 'family'. Please tell me how to reach the Configuration Manager - then we can hopefully proceed from there.
    Last edited by dick_in_dallas; Feb 14th, 2016 at 07:13 AM.

Re: Upgrading VB.NET projects that wked fine with MS Office XP to work w/ MS Office 2

I don't have VS.Net installed but these posts detail how to get to that x86 build option (even if you're using a VS Express edition):
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...rum=vblanguage
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...o-2010-express

As for the COM errors - what lines of code do these fall on, what are the errors exactly and how are you referencing the Office application? (i.e. createobject or project references)

Please rate this post if it was useful for you!
    Please try to search before creating a new post,
    Please format code using [ code ][ /code ], and
    Post sample code, error details & problem details

Addicted Member

Re: Upgrading VB.NET projects that wked fine with MS Office XP to work w/ MS Office 2

Alex_Read
    I suppose we are not set up identically, because I was not able to follow your script exactly. However, using it as a guide, I was eventually able to get to the Configuration Manager, and was able to specify 'x86' as the platform. The Visual Basic project now seems to be working to completion; i. e., no unhandled COM exceptions.

This is the eighth project in the family of VB.NET projects. Each is enough different from the others that there is no single answer to your question as to what lines of code these fall on. Once I reached the Configuration Manager and specified 'x86' as the platform, the entire project runs to completion. This particular project updates the MS Access database using the database update datafile. I can now proceed to build more database update datafiles. Notice I said '...seems to be working to completion'. I need to work with it a bit more to be sure, but the odds are favorable. Many thanks for your help.

If I develop more questions related to this topic, they will appear below. If there are none, I will close this thread.