Thread: How to make my app's user sends sms from his own cell phone ?☺

Lively Member

How to make my app's user sends sms from his own cell phone ?☺

Hi all
    I am working on an app that user may need to send sms to others through the app.
    So I include it a textbox1 as an input to enable user to add his number which will send the sms over it.
    So what is the code to do that?

Thanks advance

Re: How to make my app's user sends sms from his own cell phone ?☺

Just to be clear: You are expecting a windows program running on a computer to accept a phone number, connect to that phone, and get it to send an sms to other people?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Just to be clear: You are expecting a windows program running on a computer to accept a phone number, connect to that phone, and get it to send an sms to other people?
    That is what I did mean

I'd be AMAZED if that was possible, at least like that. What a massive security hole THAT would be if you could simply put in a phone number and hijack a phone. I would guess that you'd need software on the phone that would accept the connection.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I would guess that you'd need software on the phone that would accept the connection.
    Yea, I would agree. Unless you can find find a major security hole, the only way this can happen is if you have an app on the phone that you connect to. then you could send a command to the app that would trigger message to be sent. Is there not methods to send SMS directly from the .net app? I seem to remember being able to send an email that would trigger an SMS.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Lively Member

Any help please����

You don't want to know.

You ask for the impossible. There are many intentional barriers to prevent a program from doing what you've asked for.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    You ask for the impossible. There are many intentional barriers to prevent a program from doing what you've asked for.
    But my friend did it before and fortunately refused to tell me how��

You don't want to know.

Well, let me clarify my position.

On iOS, Android, and Windows Phone an application can't automatically send a text. It can prepare an SMS message, and display UI that will send the message. But this is much like a UAC dialog on Windows: there is no SendKeys voodoo that will push the button for the user. SMS costs money, and the OS prevents automatically sending SMS by providing no API to do it. So it's not really worth discussing how a computer might connect to that phone then order it to send an SMS, because the part where it sends an SMS can't be implemented.

Now, let's say the iOS or Android device is jailbroken or rooted. That presents the possibility that the OS has been tampered with or modified in such a way that an SMS can be sent without presenting UI. This requires a user to modify their phone's OS, a move that generally voids warranties and many device manufacturers actively thwart. That's what it'd take to be possible.

Or you could perhaps use AppleScript to abuse Continuity features on Mac OS. I bet you can automate Messages to send an iMessage. And if all of the dominos are set up in just the right way, that can fail but ask the Continuity-connected phone to send the message as SMS. But all of this requires pairing the phone with the computer and tweaking some settings to enable it. Oh, and it only works for iPhones that you have physical access to, not any arbitrary phone.

It's more likely something's going on with your friend like the time my father produced a quarter from my ear and wouldn't tell me how it happened. He's set something up to make it /look/ like he's hijacking a phone, displayed it to you, then yanked it away when you tried to look close. Probably.

Either way, I don't know what he did. And I think it's likely he's not telling you the truth.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Addicted Member omundodogabriel's Avatar

I don't know about iOS, but I do think that is possible to create an app capable of sending SMS on Android without root or anything like that:

http://developer.android.com/intl/en...msManager.html

It is possible to send sms without the user installing anything, if you exploit the system to do so. Android is pretty know for its vulnerabilities, so you could write a payload that would download the "sms sender" that would wait for the command given by your server to send the message. Needless to say, this would be pretty hard to do, and you shouldn't be doing something like this anyway. So whats your goal?
    Last edited by omundodogabriel; Feb 11th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by omundodogabriel View Post
    I don't know about iOS, but I do think that is possible to create an app capable of sending SMS on Android without root or anything like that:

http://developer.android.com/intl/en...msManager.html

It is possible to send sms without the user installing anything, if you exploit the system to do so. Android is pretty know for its vulnerabilities, so you could write a payload that would download the "sms sender" that would wait for the command given by your server to send the message. Needless to say, this would be pretty hard to do, and you shouldn't be doing something like this anyway. So whats your goal?
    It is to send sms by my windows app via phone number so no need to use cell phone
    that what I mean

Addicted Member omundodogabriel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omanxp45 View Post
    It is to send sms by my windows app via phone number so no need to use cell phone
    that what I mean
    What you want is impossible, at least without an app on the phone connected to the computer listening for the requests. You can't just type a number on a box and have a message sent by that phone number. If your friend said he did that, he must be playing around with you.

Lively Member

No I saw all his app include this feature

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Just to be clear, you can send an sms from windows and there are plenty of online services available that will do it for you. I used to write software for direct marketing companies and we'd do it all the time.

What you can't do is connect to a mobile phone and tell the phone to send an sms.

I don't know what your friend showed you but my hunch is they simply sent an sms from windows. They did not do it via a phone.

It wouldn't surprise me if you could write an app for a phone that would use an online service to send an sms but it wouldn't be the phone itself sending it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You can also send text messages using email. The email address is created using the phone number and the SMS gateway. This site has a list of SMS gateways for different carriers.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

You don't want to know.

I can also set up a service to send an SMS if I send an email to a particular address, flip my light switch, clap three times, etc.

We don't know what your friend did. We don't think he did what you're describing. You'll have to extract the information from him. I suggest the use of a shovel, or something else that has a nice, solid business end.

*edit*

I've been informed it might not be "ethical" to hit a man with a shovel until he gives you information. This is new to me. Maybe you should, instead, find out what he likes best, and take it from him, offering an exchange for his knowledge.

*edit again*

I CAN'T GET ANYTHING DONE WITH ALL THESE LAWYERS BUGGING ME. Apparently they think I might be condoning "theft". I told them it was "actually ransom". Apparently this is also not "ethical". So maybe you should find out what he likes, and offer him a lot of it.

Then someday make him pay for it dearly.

I told them it was "actually ransom".
    See, now that's where you went wrong... it's not ransom either... it's "an enhanced bargaining technique" ... remember it's all in the nuance...

If that doesn't work you could try scrounging up some rather seedy hidden detail about your alleged friend and use it to expose him if he doesn't share the secret with you.

*EDIT*

Geezes Sitten - can you control your lawyers? They just informed me that that too is unethical. Called "extortion". I insisted that it was an enhanced bargaining technique and they said something about it not counting when in dress... induress? Pfftt! what ever. Lawyers... part of the second part of the party of the first part, section subsection and Quando omni flunkus, moritati and other mumbo jumbo.

*Edit part deux*
    Ok, so it seems they (the lawyers) think it would be best to post something relevant and positive... even if only in passing so here goes...
    Name:  TSMockingMe.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  14.7 KB
    Yes... yes we are... but don't take it personally.

As previously stated, we don't know what your friend did... we can only assume that it was some kind of a joke. You also haven't given us enough to go on. HOW do you KNOW it was actually sent by the phone? Was the app on the phone, or on a computer? I know some services you can put a "sending" number so that when they send it, it looks like it came from the number... so maybe that's how it was done. I don't know. Or it was a clever trick of some kind.

The proof is in the pudding, and so far, we've only heard about the pudding, we haven't actually seen it.

-tg

*Addendum* - it seems that mentioning pudding brought out the lawyers again and now I have to add a disclaimer that this in no way implied in any way shape or form the use of J-ello Pudding or indicates any standing or opinion on the guilt or innocence of the defendant party of the third part, referred hereto as one "Mr. Bill Cosby" ...

*Edit trois*
    You could use a sledgehammer and threaten to break a finger every 15 minutes that he doesn't give you the code.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Guys... guys... all the above are perfectly legal as long as you ship your friend to some tinpot third world country first. It helps keep the lawyers happy if you dress him in an orange boiler suit.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Guys... guys... all the above are perfectly legal as long as you ship your friend to some tinpot third world country first. It helps keep the lawyers happy if you dress him in an orange boiler suit.
    I'm being advised that detainment in friendly locations colocated in unfriendly countries, particularly island nations, are also perfectly legal.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

If you are only interested in being able to send and receive SMS from a sim card, you can do so with a GSM modem. I bought one a couple of years back and managed to get it working with VB.net in a test application. You basically send a series of AT commands to the modem via a com port which in turn controls it's operation. If you are interested in doing it that way the modem I bought was a GSM-Q2403 although as I understand it is for use in the UK and may not support all sim card networks.