Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting read on Greeks invented the alphabet

King of sapila

Interesting read on Greeks invented the alphabet

Although most people think the Phoenicians gave the alphabet to Greeks it's the other way around.
    If you are not bored have a read: http://phoenicia.org/alphabetcontrov.html
    And thank you for speaking my language till present times :P
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: Interesting read on Greeks invented the alphabet

It's all Greek, to me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Göbekli Tepe has numerous megalithic structures that may have been temples or other public buildings, monuments, etc. The site has been dated to from 7370 BCE with some parts back at to least as far as 9130 BCE.

Monument inscriptions that are clearly a form of writing are all over the place. Example:

Name:  GobekliTepe.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  31.5 KB

These predate anything credited to either Greeks or Phoenicians by at least 5000 years and ancient Egyptians by at least 3500 years.

King of sapila

Yes but we where talking about the alphabet else we may go back to cave drawings.

Should have copyrighted it and collected royalties.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

King of sapila

Well back then they were interested on spreading knowledge , so what you gonna do /

Knowledge smoledge! Gimme money!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

King of sapila

We gave you the coins, what more do you want? "http://www.ancient.eu/coinage/"
    We are giving enough to the Germans these days.
    We also gave them the swastika sign, you're welcome Adolph.
    P.S. Emoticon from emotion + icon , icon from Greek word "είκών', m sure Emotion from Latin was borrowed from some Greek word but I'm too bored to look.
    Irrelevant but I'm grateful that we did not gave you MS - MVC , would be ashamed for our past then , although we gave the first analog computa the, "Antikythera mechanism" . Thank you for using our computer.Beep beep bleep blaap bloop.
    Microsoft from Greek work "μικρός" + soft. MVC from initials "Microsoft Vampire C#nts"
    Greeks among Vampire creators "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_folklore_by_region" .
    I have nothing on C#nts, someone go on and claim that
    Aaaaannnd I'll stop, needed the epileptic blabbering......
    OK, one more
    "The word "epilepsy" comes from the Greek word epi meaning "upon, at, close upon", and the Greek word Leptos meaning "seizure" .
    But "Hippocrates" is here to cure you and to make you take you oath.....
    OK, enough , bye bye ..... From Greek words "barbie and Ken"...Oh, oops...
    Code:
    Dim Code as string = "from Greek word "κώδικας"
    ''''and unused variable "code", because I can afford it.
    'There is a mistake in the code there, so I can look idiotic and you don't feel inferior...
    'but you guys probably have invented something too so you rock!!!!
    OK apologies.....
    (From Greek words "απολογία" etc etc) sorry , my bad, sorry.
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 8th, 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    We gave you the coins, what more do you want? "http://www.ancient.eu/coinage/"
    That was just a token contribution.

Code:
    We are giving enough to the Germans these days.
    Money AND immigrants.

Code:
    We also gave them the swastika sign, you're welcome Adolph.  :sick:
    I'm not so sure about this one. The symbol has ancient roots in Hindu beliefs, as well (though not evil roots).
    Code:
    P.S. Emoticon from emotion + icon , icon from Greek word "είκών', m sure Emotion from Latin was borrowed from some Greek word but I'm too bored to look.
    We curse you for that.

Code:
    Irrelevant but I'm grateful that we did not gave you MS - MVC , would be ashamed for our past then :( , although we gave the first analog computa the, "Antikythera mechanism" .
    And with that, you wiped out all the kytherans! If you don't believe me, how many kytherans do you know? Either their kyth or their kin.

PowerPoster

Yes but we where talking about the alphabet else we may go back to cave drawings.
    What makes you think that isn't and alphabet, maybe even the very one that after thousands of years of simplification became the Greek alphabet?

Some cave drawings might even be the same thing, though I don't recall seeing many of them with enough detail to look like words made of letters.

They've pushed the date of the oldest Homo Sapiens, as intelligent and dextrous as you or me, back as far as at least 330,000 years now. Seems pretty darned unlikely and perhaps arrogant to assume that those humans sat picking their noses for all that time and never developed lots of things, written language included. Just because we don't find 100,000 year old paper books proves nothing because paper and even stone doesn't survive all of that time very easily without wear and decay.

Think about the far more fragile media we use today. Even people who maintain journals today typically use computers and hard drives, flash drives, CDs, hosted blogs and vlogs, etc. So fragile that in two or three generations nothing will be left of your life even if you are one of those obsessive diarists.

King of sapila

Code:
    Money AND immigrants.
    They are just passing through.If you mean Greek immigrants, well, they are over educated so we kicked them out of Greece so we can get their jobs :P
    Code:
    I'm not so sure about this one. The symbol has ancient roots in Hindu beliefs, as well (though not evil roots).
    OH, good, I'll go with that. Hindus gave the swastika, no problem, they can have it. Although Hitler was a huge fan (groupie) of Ancient Greeks and their tactical warfare's(so they(Nazi's) just killed us(Greeks) but with respect, now they are killing us financially.). Probably wanted to be like Alexander the great. Although Hitler has been thought in history as a murderer and Alex as a great warrior and civilization unite-r , go figure. Also - Alexander comes from ALEX "Άλεξ" and "άνδρας". ALEX mean shield(well not exactly, something like bullet proof - thunder proof , you get the point) and Andras mean man. So it's the one that has it's people under his shield. FUROM that proclaimed as Macedonias does not know sh#t about the Greek language and they cannot translate the macedonian names but OK, they proclaim they are Macedonians. It's like eating a sandwich and proclaim that it's actually a beef jerky.
    Code:
    And with that, you wiped out all the kytherans! If you don't believe me, how many kytherans do you know? Either their kyth or their kin.
    Trick question (you didn't know that when you wrote it but I give you credit). I know of 3+ finite. kytherans, antikytherans, Therans(aka Thera - Santorini) and of course Thera "Θύρα" also means door - gate. Gate is used in almost all sporting events -cinemas -theaters etc. So the answer is I know everyone that has seen or passed through a gate(+ the islands dudes).
    (BTW, kythera, nice one, will write it down for @funky dexter, if he wants to visit a Great Island (haven't been there myself and I want to go but I know from people that went and said that it's awesome) .

@ dilettante
    I was talking about the modern alphabet, I was talking based on the evidence and writings we have but , yeah, if sapiens theoretically invented something (that we haven't seen) then feel free to excavate it and point it out.
    So OK, theoretically, let's talk about Greeks. Hello nice to meet you but I'm really an Ellinas(Έλλην). Comes from "EL and LIN" El is the God(sun) and "LIN" the one that sees God. Long story short ELLIN combined with HUMAN "'Άνρθωπος" comes down to people that seen the sun and lived on the Andromeda galaxy long before any human life existed on earth.So Homo Sapiens compared, are just that, Homo$.
    Another interesting fact is that the movie "Alien" has it's origin from "Hellin" so long story short, stop questioning me or I'll bite your head off! LOL.
    All in good faith of course but interesting and motivating I hope
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:48 PM.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Although most people think the Phoenicians gave the alphabet to Greeks it's the other way around.
    Hey hang on a minute, Clearly the English invented the Alphabet all that stuff you guys just posted is just scribbles.

During the time of the Empire when we had to much time on our hands (this was the same time we invented all the sports, and in fact pretty much all recreational activities)

We realised that we needed proper words not just scribbles to document and itemise all the stuff we had been stealing off India and the rest of the countries we had taken over.

I can prove it as well, abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz - all in English see !!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

King of sapila

Following your lead (P.S. I'm not 100% sure for that but I think actually Greeks invented early football), I saw some similarities to your English alphabet and the Greek one.
    Of course English gave the alphabet but out of shame the Greeks did not dare to adopt the exact same one and they did some sort of simulation.
    It's poorly written and we just made it last week but here is a try to match the almighty English one(or French,of Spanish,Or German,or Italian(it is actually), or American):
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZUrZHF_WBeI/hqdefault.jpg
    Now that is just a beta project but opinions are welcome.

Now that is just a beta project but opinions are welcome.
    No No no, that will never do, the Z must clearly go at the very end of the alphabet or you will just confuse everybody!

...also i noticed you have included a couple of modern pop acts (Psi & Sigma) into that alphabet just to try and make it cool, and if your gonna have Kappa in there surely you must have Donna in there as well ??
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Greeks. Worse than the bloody Romans. Well, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

The Greeks invented love making.

But it took the Romans to invent doing it with women.

ZING!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    No No no, that will never do, the Z must clearly go at the very end of the alphabet or you will just confuse everybody!

...also i noticed you have included a couple of modern pop acts (Psi & Sigma) into that alphabet just to try and make it cool, and if your gonna have Kappa in there surely you must have Donna in there as well ??
    As I've said. It's only a beta. Just though I should use Omega as the last letter as it has "mega" in there. Z is just Zoro's initial ans we are not Mexicans.

Good call on the Greek and Romans. Useless people.Bleh!

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    The Greeks invented love making.

But it took the Romans to invent doing it with women.

ZING!
    Funky has immunity so I won't be talking about British in "Malia" . And read about kythera island cuz it's a must.

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    Greeks. Worse than the bloody Romans. Well, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    The aquaduct?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The aquaduct?
    And the sanitation!
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

And the roads.

King of sapila

"The earliest and simplest aqueducts were constructed of lengths of inverted clay tiles and sometimes pipes which channelled water over a short distance and followed the contours of the land. The earliest examples of these date from the Minoan civilization on Crete in the early 2nd millennium BCE and from contemporary Mesopotamia." (Greek)

"Urban paths of beaten earth would get churned up by heavy, wheeled traffic. So it is in the first cities that we would expect the first paved thoroughfares. In Mesopotamia Ur and Uruk had stone-paved streets. So did the Indus Valley cities of Harappa and Mohenjo-daro. It is is more surprising to find cobbled streets in the much earlier Halaf Culture (6100 to 5400 BC) village at Tell Arpachiyah in Northern Mesopotamia, and at the Neolithic village of Choirokoitia in Cyprus" (Greek)

"The ancient Greek civilization of Crete, known as the Minoan civilization, was the first civilization to use underground clay pipes for sanitation and water supply." (Greek)

I guess Pizza is a great achievement for Romans.....
    Oh,
    "In Sardinia, French and Italian archaeologists have found bread baked over 7,000 years ago. According to Professor Philippe Marinval, the local islanders leavened this bread.[4]
    The Ancient Greeks had a flat bread called plakous (πλακοῦς, gen. πλακοῦντος - plakountos)[5] which was flavored with toppings like herbs, onion, and garlic." (Semi Greek).

Sinecure devotee

Ancient Greece was pretty phenomenal. Unfortunately, one the typical stereotypes of the Greek citizen today is the apparent full embodiment, perhaps even the epitome of the expression "resting on one's laurels". Keeping the cliche alive quite well, sapator.

King of sapila

Hell the first anecdotes and humor as a sense were invented in Greece.
    I guess am not doing a good job here. M not Aristophanes you know.
    What cliche? We may not be, as you say, phenomenal as our ancestors but have you been to Greece(I've been to NY)? Do you know any Greek people? Do you perhaps picture us with a coffee and a magazine killing our time in a bar?
    What exactly do you think modern Greeks do that troubles you(except voting traitor governments like idiots, will give you that) ?

I heard the ancient Greeks invented football by kicking around severed human heads. Or maybe it was the French?
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

I'm fairly sure football was actually invented by the Chinese although they never really got the off side rule worked out.

Centuries later Americans got confused by the words "Foot" and "Ball" and invented HandEgg. The rest of the world thought it was silly so refused to play it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm fairly sure football was actually invented by the Chinese although they never really got the off side rule worked out.
    No No no, i have already told you that the British invented ALL sports during the empire. You should know that FD having had a proper British education!!

For a Sport to be a Sport it has to have rules (creating rules is something that we are very good at) otherwise its just anarchy!!

King of sapila

Greece invented sports and rules.
    And they created Olympic games and sport stadiums to honor the Gods of metal...Err the Gods.
    Although I must go with Funky here. Football with a HandEgg, LOL.

They were not kicking any human heads. That is what barbarians did.

Socrates: M lucky dudes, for 3 things:
    That I was born a human and not an animal,
    Man and not woman,
    Greek(ELLIN) and not barbarian.
    Oh, those Greeks. Misogynists and racists.
    I propose a protest with a common cry "I too am a barbarian".
    So did I passed that as humorous or I'm going to get slammed again?

SLAM!

OK, it was quite humorous.

If I was being reeeeealy pedantic I'd point out that the Olympic Games were invented by a Frenchman. The Pan-Hellenic games are all Greek. That would be monumental pedantry though so I won't mention it.

No No no, i have already told you that the British invented ALL sports during the empire. You should know that FD having had a proper British education!!
    Oh, well, yes, of course. I mean, some of those barbarian types had games and hobbies and pass-times but you are, of course, absolutely correct that they weren't sports until we arrived. I though the way we introduced tea to the Indian Sub-Continent was particularly generous too.

I'm sure the Greeks invented the internet as well. There's only 3 steps from Greece to The Internet in the Kevin Bacon game...

This feels like a "You didn't Build That!" thread...

I would say that if anybody invented rules it would have to be the Chinese.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I would say that if anybody invented rules it would have to be the Chinese.
    Because they were instructed to.
    I don't live here any more.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    Because they were instructed to.
    Instructed by Aliens (that comes from Ellinas, remember Greek is Ellinas, also why the first letter of Aliens is pronounced E instead of A ), so my Alien kind instructed the Chinese after created them.
    Bzzzz Bzzz I am an Alien I have an antenna in my head and I will zap you good! Bzzz Bzzzz....

ΕΙΜΑΙ ΕΛΛΗΝΑΣ, ΕΧΩ ΜΙΑ ΚΕΡΑΙΑ ΣΤΟ ΚΕΦΑΛΙ ΜΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΘΑ ΣΕ ΚΑΥΣΩ. ohhh zap is not Greek.

King of sapila

Although...
    We have the ZAP-peion building Ζάππειον.

PowerPoster

What, no jokes about sheep yet?

also why the first letter of Aliens is pronounced E instead of A
    For you maybe, but over here, the first letter of Aliens is pronounced A instead of E.

And the first letter of sheep is pronounced 5, but it's silent.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Feb 14th, 2016 at 02:00 PM.

I have a pronounced limp.

I'm not sure that's relevant.

I have a mispronounced limp. It's a big bag of Helium.

If you are not bored have a read: http://phoenicia.org/alphabetcontrov.html
    And thank you for speaking my language till present times :P
    Thats not what Spaceship Earth says in EPCOT >.>

King of sapila

Had to google on that.
    Pointy thing.
    Will Zap it momentarily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast