Thread: Code return CRC32B instead of CRC32

Hyperactive Member

Code return CRC32B instead of CRC32

Hi,

I am trying to convert a string into CRC32.
    I used the code found online below and it returns CRC32B (as cross checked in one of the free online CRC32 generator e.g. http://www.md5calc.com/) instead of CRC32.

Code:
    Imports System.Text

Public Class CRC32
        Private Shared CrcTable As UInt32() = Nothing

Shared Sub New()
            Dim c As UInt32
            Dim One As UInt32 = 1
            Dim Filter As UInt32 = 3988292384
            Dim i As Integer
            Dim j As Integer

CrcTable = New UInt32(255) {}
            For i = 0 To 255
                c = Convert.ToUInt32(i)
                For j = 0 To 7
                    If (c And One) <> 0 Then
                        c = Filter Xor (c >> 1)
                    Else
                        c = c >> 1
                    End If
                Next
                CrcTable(i) = c
            Next
        End Sub

Public Shared Function Calculate(ByVal s As String) As String
            Dim InitVal As UInt32 = 4294967295
            Dim CRC As UInt32 = InitVal
            Dim i As Integer

Dim buffer As Byte() = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(s)
            For i = 0 To buffer.Length - 1
                CRC = CrcTable((CRC Xor buffer(i)) And 255) Xor (CRC >> 8)
            Next

Return Convert.ToUInt32(CRC Xor InitVal).ToString("X8")
        End Function
    End Class
    I'm not sure what went wrong and I couldn't find any more example. As most example online shows File conversion instead of String conversion.

I also found another site that mentioned CRC32b is equal to CRC32 with the 4 bytes reversed.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...crc32b-in-java

I tried to various ways to convert into VB.NET code but to no avail.
    Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks.

Re: Code return CRC32B instead of CRC32

Years ago (VS 2005 era) I had a need to compute the CRC32 of files on a hard drive and this is what I used at the time, you'd have to take out the reading of file bytes and simply pass in a string but the computation should still be the same.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Years ago (VS 2005 era) I had a need to compute the CRC32 of files on a hard drive and this is what I used at the time, you'd have to take out the reading of file bytes and simply pass in a string but the computation should still be the same.
    Thanks for the code.
    I found a few sample online that is also for File Conversion but I 'm not really sure how to convert from FileStream to String.

I tried convert your code in this GetCrc32 function but there is no result (Application Not Responding).
    I have commented the original code.

Not sure what went wrong.
    Hope you can enlighten me.

Thanks.

Code:
        ' <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Friend Function GetCrc32(ByRef stream As System.IO.FileStream) As Integer
        <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Friend Function GetCrc32(ByRef stream As String) As Integer

Dim crc32Result As Integer = &HFFFFFFFF

Dim buffer(BUFFER_SIZE) As Byte
            Dim readSize As Integer = BUFFER_SIZE
            ' Dim count As Integer = stream.Read(buffer, 0, readSize)
            Dim count As Integer = stream.Length
            Dim i As Integer
            Dim iLookup As Integer

Do While (count > 0)
                For i = 0 To count - 1
                    iLookup = (crc32Result And &HFF) Xor buffer(i)
                    crc32Result = ((crc32Result And &HFFFFFF00) \ &H100) And &HFFFFFF   ' nasty shr 8 with vb :/
                    crc32Result = crc32Result Xor crc32Table(iLookup)
                Next i
                ' count = stream.Read(buffer, 0, readSize)
                count = stream.Length
            Loop
            Return Not (crc32Result)
        End Function

I have some code that uses tables for calculating CRC's if you are interested.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by abcat View Post
    Thanks for the code.
    I found a few sample online that is also for File Conversion but I 'm not really sure how to convert from FileStream to String.

I tried convert your code in this GetCrc32 function but there is no result (Application Not Responding).
    I have commented the original code.

Not sure what went wrong.
    Hope you can enlighten me.

Thanks.

Code:
        ' <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Friend Function GetCrc32(ByRef stream As System.IO.FileStream) As Integer
        <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Friend Function GetCrc32(ByRef stream As String) As Integer

Dim crc32Result As Integer = &HFFFFFFFF

Dim buffer(BUFFER_SIZE) As Byte
            Dim readSize As Integer = BUFFER_SIZE
            ' Dim count As Integer = stream.Read(buffer, 0, readSize)
            Dim count As Integer = stream.Length
            Dim i As Integer
            Dim iLookup As Integer

Do While (count > 0)
                For i = 0 To count - 1
                    iLookup = (crc32Result And &HFF) Xor buffer(i)
                    crc32Result = ((crc32Result And &HFFFFFF00) \ &H100) And &HFFFFFF   ' nasty shr 8 with vb :/
                    crc32Result = crc32Result Xor crc32Table(iLookup)
                Next i
                ' count = stream.Read(buffer, 0, readSize)
                count = stream.Length
            Loop
            Return Not (crc32Result)
        End Function
    Short and simple, to calculate the CRC of anything you need to do it at the byte level, so the function to calculate the bytes is:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function GetCrc32(bytes As Byte()) As Integer
    2.     Dim table(255) As Integer
    3.     Dim poly As Integer = &HEDB88320I
    4.     Dim temp As Integer = 0
    5.     For i As Integer = 0 To table.Length - 1
    6.         temp = i
    7.         For j As Integer = 8 To 1 Step -1
    8.             If (temp And 1) = 1 Then
    9.                 temp = (temp >> 1) Xor poly
    10.             Else
    11.                 temp >>= 1
    12.             End If
    13.         Next
    14.         table(i) = temp
    15.     Next i
    16.     Dim crc As Integer = &HFFFFFFFFI
    17.     For i As Integer = 0 To bytes.Length - 1
    18.         Dim index As Byte = CByte(((crc) And &HFF) Xor bytes(i))
    19.         crc = (crc >> 8) Xor table(index)
    20.     Next
    21.     Return Not crc
    22. End Function
    And to call it, just pass in the bytes of the text you want calculated:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Imports System.Text
    3. TextBox2.Text = GetCrc32(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(TextBox1.Text)).ToString()
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Short and simple, to calculate the CRC of anything you need to do it at the byte level, so the function to calculate the bytes is:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function GetCrc32(bytes As Byte()) As Integer
    2.     Dim table(255) As Integer
    3.     Dim poly As Integer = &HEDB88320I
    4.     Dim temp As Integer = 0
    5.     For i As Integer = 0 To table.Length - 1
    6.         temp = i
    7.         For j As Integer = 8 To 1 Step -1
    8.             If (temp And 1) = 1 Then
    9.                 temp = (temp >> 1) Xor poly
    10.             Else
    11.                 temp >>= 1
    12.             End If
    13.         Next
    14.         table(i) = temp
    15.     Next i
    16.     Dim crc As Integer = &HFFFFFFFFI
    17.     For i As Integer = 0 To bytes.Length - 1
    18.         Dim index As Byte = CByte(((crc) And &HFF) Xor bytes(i))
    19.         crc = (crc >> 8) Xor table(index)
    20.     Next
    21.     Return Not crc
    22. End Function
    And to call it, just pass in the bytes of the text you want calculated:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Imports System.Text
    3. TextBox2.Text = GetCrc32(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(TextBox1.Text)).ToString()
    I tried your code and convert string "abc" to CRC32 and it returns "-347100478"
    The expected output should be "73bb8c64" according to http://www.md5calc.com/

Please advise.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    I have some code that uses tables for calculating CRC's if you are interested.
    Hi dbasnett,

I found various code online which is convert from File to CRC32. I'm not sure whether your code can calculate text string and convert it into CRC32?

Thanks.

you don't convert it into CRC32... you calculate the CRC32 value based on the input. The input is just an array of bytes... doesn't matter if it's "binary" data (which, technically, everything is)... or string... I think string objects have a .ToBinaryArray method that will return an array of bytes representing the string...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *