dcsimg

Thread: Contest 10 - Tracking Mean, Median, and Mode

Contest 10 - Tracking Mean, Median, and Mode

Any questions or problems related to the Mean Median and Mode contest please ask here!

Re: Contest 10 - Tracking Mean, Median, and Mode

Congratulations to .paul. for winning Contest 10 - Tracking Mean, Median, and Mode! I will be private messaging you with details on your win.

I've moved all of the entries back into the entries forum and I have details on how I marked your project. Thanks to all who participated and please discuss the details of the contest here along with suggestions for future contest.

Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar

Congrats, .paul.!

I seriously need to hit the books again.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the participation especially considering only one person submitted for contest #9

I would love for y'all to suggest material for the new contest because the overall message I got for #10 was that it was a weak topic.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised with the participation especially considering only one person submitted for contest #9

I would love for y'all to suggest material for the new contest because the overall message I got for #10 was that it was a weak topic.
    For me it helps being held over the holidays, I don't have much free time otherwise. I thought the topic was pretty weak but not as much as #9 which was a bit too simple. I say raise the topic bar and lengthen the entry period.
    W o t . S i g

How about something to decipher? An algorithm for moving an object through a maze of dday9's choice? Collision based physics? Visual presentation of a duel screen secondary monitor size and location from primary? Multilevel free-form deformation, which is morphing an image into another by drawn control points?

Too extreme?
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 5th, 2016 at 08:09 AM.

Yes!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.5.1)

How about us creating a programming language?

Bacially our program has to be able to parse and run commands entered into a Richtextbox. Judging would be based on what our language can do, it's editor's design, and instructional documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post

Bacially our program has to be able to parse and run commands entered into a Richtextbox. Judging would be based on what our language can do, it's editor's design, and instructional documentation.
    The last time I looked it's not April Fools day
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post

I have been working extensively on creating my own programming language and even have submissions on an expression evaluator in the tutorial section. I was thinking about doing an expression evaluator contest and see the different styles people used such as converting the infix notation to reverse polish notation(such as I did), or creating an abstract syntax tree and walking through the various nodes, or some other form of evaluating the expression.

I note that this is contest 10 - but I can't find info/entries for the previous contests. Are these still available somewhere for reference?

They are in this forum (and sub-forums), but like with our other forums you'll need to set the date range to see old posts.

Under the thread list in "Thread Display Options", set "Show threads from the..." to Beginning

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay...ost&order=desc

Another idea could be motion detection.

Basically we're given a number of frames from a video in jpeg format, sized at 720x405. Something simple like Birds flying by, a person walking, sail boat, ect...

We have to detect the difference between each frame, visually tracking the motion.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 5th, 2016 at 01:56 PM.

The reason why I stay away from GUI stuff is because I allow for so many different languages. For console applications I can use an online compiler such as dotnetfiddle or ideone to grade all of the entries.

Solve the Knapsack Problem. I've seen solutions using Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing, but the link suggests others.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Tell if a sentence is either declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, or imperative.

I think a text parser that could identify the type of sentence entered would be a great challenge, but might require a month or two to code.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I was thinking about doing an expression evaluator contest and see the different styles people used such as converting the infix notation to reverse polish notation(such as I did), or creating an abstract syntax tree and walking through the various nodes, or some other form of evaluating the expression.
    dday9, that's way over my head. LOL!

Whatever is chosen, may I suggest that the program doesn't require more than about 200 lines of code.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Solve the Knapsack Problem. I've seen solutions using Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing, but the link suggests others.
    For the "unbounded case", there's already implementations in 51 languages on rosettacode.org.
    https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Knapsack_problem/Unbounded

Here's my take on the problem (implemented in VB6):
    https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Knapsac...d#Visual_Basic

Olaf