Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS - The Force Awakens (NO SPOILERS)

STAR WARS - The Force Awakens (NO SPOILERS)

This movie was freaking awesome!!! It is at least a thousand times better than the prequels, and might be considered better than the originals. The acting. for example. is not bland and monotone like the prequels. In fact the acting was extremely good. They actually show emotion and make it believable. The story was written very well, and kinda blends New Hope, Empire, and Jedi all into one movie with the environments, without doing a direct copy and paste, but rather targets the nostalgic audience to embrace you into these new worlds. On top of that, the plot twists in this movie, as well as some jaw dropping moments, will leave your jaw dropped. Unfortunately I can't reveal it to you unless you see the movie yourself. The effects...OMG the effects. The entire movie isn't dominated by CGI like the lame prequels did. Yeah CGI is used, but only when it's needed. Instead majority of the effects are practical effects. The characters are actually in a real desert. The characters are actually in a real forest. The buildings are real. The aliens are real with the exception of the one in the Cantina that had the glasses, forgot the name, which was obviously CGI and wasn't really needed. And as a result, it makes the worlds more believable and draws the audience in. The action in this movie was spot on, and thank god it wasn't like the prequels where there was waaaaay too much action, with unrealistic jumps, and flips, that took away from the story. Rey and Finn were the perfect cast, and they practically are worth seeing the movie with them alone. Poe for some reason wasn't shown much for a lead fighter pilot, and I kinda wish they shown more of Poe. And yes, the original cast for Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia, and Luke Skywalker are back. And OMG, the villain Kylo Ren was bad ass!. Probably more evil than Darth Vader, and has a much better evil voice. And love the fact that he can throw one hell of a temper tantrum when he gets pissed. All I gotta say is, go see the movie. It is that good!!! And well worthy of the high ticket price.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: STAR WARS - The Force Awakens (NO SPOILERS)

Sadly I've not found anyone to go and see it with yet. Most of my mates went and saw it in London when I wasn't free. Gah! I've got some friends visiting over Crimbo, though, so hopefully I can badger them into it. If not, I'm not above going alone but it's always better with a group of buddies.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Taking the teenager tomorrow. They filmed some of the scenes near where I live. We've been watching IV V & VI in preparation.
    W o t . S i g

You live on Alderon?!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    You live on Alderon?!
    No Dantooine. We live on Dantooine. Not to be mistaken with its neighbor Tatooine.

The aliens are real ....
    Spoken like a die-hard fan
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

I loved this movie as well, and without giving away any spoilers I must say that I was rather surprised to learn that Luke had joined the dark side and that Han Solo was trying to kill Leia just because she killed Chewbacca, I mean that was obviously by accident. I wan't really prepared either to learn that Yoda had a son! Who would have guessed? However I was disappointed that they made him blue instead of green, I guess that's because they wanted to be politically correct. And almost everything I just said is a lie... maybe.

Now that would be an interesting twist.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

The Millennium Falcon might have made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs but I just ran 1 mile in under 300 meters!

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

So Yoda had a smurf for a son?

The result of an illicit dalliance with Smurfette, no doubt. Hmmm, Dark horse Yoda is.

Nice review. Thanks. I haven't seen the movie,yet.

Saw it this Sunday. Loved it. The score left a lot to be desired. While there were good placements of the original score, the new parts were simply non existent and unmemorable. However, as said, the effects were very believable. It really did look like TIE Fighters flying around, and definitely had a 'presence'. I liked the TIE fighters so much, I bought a Lego set!

I got tickets for $5 a seat, so I'm not sure what other people pay for a movie seat (they also didn't check anyone's ticket, either. Bizarre).
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

PowerPoster

This thread reminded me of the "BUSHES OF LOVE" video.

Saw the movie yesterday.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 4th, 2016 at 03:30 AM.

Brilliant movie! Went to go see it a while back while I was on leave and I can honestly say that it was much better than episodes I to III. I did feel as though some of the few action scenes were a bit dragged out, but all in all a great experience. Went to watch in IMAX, cost was around $5 (USD) or about 3.50 (GBP)

Side note: I know he was 35 in the first Star Wars (IV) but I find it incredible how OLD Harrison Ford is now!!! I've seen him in a few other recent movies as well, but never had that "contrast". (I watched all the old movies again afterwards as well)

Quote Originally Posted by BillGeek View Post
    Went to watch in IMAX, cost was around $5 (USD) or about 3.50 (GBP)
    It costs £11.25 at my local cinema (not IMAX). I think maybe we're being ripped off in the UK.

Very, very good film, though.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleDuncan View Post
    ... I think maybe we're being ripped off in the UK.

aaaand the penny drops.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I finally saw it yesterday and was a bit non-plussed, to be honest. It was a great trip down memory lane (pausing for a brief cup of joe in nostalgia café) but:-
    1. The exposition was way too blunt. Whole slabs of plot were served up like an all you can eat BBQ in a cheap bikers cafe
    2. I didn't think the new crop of actors and characters were up to much at all. The guy who played Finn was very good but Rey was just boring, Poe was a stereo-typical all-American with a chin the size of Desparate Dan (they should have got Bruce Campbell to play him, he'd have done a better job) and the Kylo Ren, far from being "bad ass", was a winy teenager only rivalled by Hayden Christensen's portrayal of Vader in episode II. Seriously, if the Sith ever do look like taking over the galaxy you could just send them to bed without any dinner - that'd sort them right out.
    3. I made the mistake of watching it in 3D and did not enjoy the experience of having my eye poked out by a Star Destroyer. If a director can't do something more interesting with 3D than make me want to back into my own seat then they shouldn't bother - that trick's gotten old.
    4. The plot was shallow and rambling. I don't feel like I was told a story. Instead I just got to observe a sequence of largely disconnected events with no plot arc. (Mind you, the originals tended to suffer from this too)
    5. Spoiler, Highlight to reveal: The big reveal is around the parentage of one of the main characters and erm, haven't we seen that somewhere before. And don't tell me it was cool because they turned it on it's head. As plot hooks go this was a lazy lift from the originals.

On the other hand it definitely had some good stuff:-
    1. The nostalgic elements were brilliant.
    2. The old actors far outshone any of the new ones. Mark Hamill has definitely improved with age and, with nought but a look, is already more credible as a Jedi Knight than he ever was in the originals. Han and Leia were brilliantly played and it really felt like they'd lived a life since the originals. Chewy - well it's hard to mess up a walking carpet.
    3. I actually really liked BB8. I didn't want to but I thought they got him just right. At times it was a bit like watching WallE but the droids in Star Wars, for me at least, were always meant to be "kids" comic relief for the main characters and I thought they managed to pitch him spot on. A brilliant bit of anthropomorphisation.
    4. Brilliantly paced actions scenes. Fast and furious enough to give you a thrill ride but slow enough to let you understand what was happening on screen.
    5. Fantastic special effects which were generally used to pep up the action rather than replace the need for dialogue and plot which is what most Hollywood movies seem to do.
    6. Loved all the new aliens. They showed real imagination.

Overall I thought this was much better than episodes 1 to 3 but those in love with 4 to 6 might grate their teeth at times. I imagine a lot of the original actors will be getting phased out over the next two episodes as it's handed over to the new crop and that, for me, does not bode well. Kids will love it, which is really the point, after all. For aging fanboys it's definitely worth going to see but probably best not have your hopes too high when you walk in.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jan 14th, 2016 at 12:48 PM.

You don't want to know.

I see reactions all over the scale, and I don't think the points FunkyDexter brings are invalid. Here's kind of how I feel.

It's a good movie, and unless you're a die-hard film critic you're going to want to see it more than once. It's put together well enough to warrant paying for it several times, moreso if you have a theater that serves beer and other things that make you even happier.

It's a bad film, in the sense that there's no reason for aspiring filmmakers to study it outside of the notion that "blockbusters make big bucks". ANH and ESB have lessons about filmmaking to teach, and we get scant few directors making films of that quality out of the major studios today. TFA doesn't really provide that kind of payoff, and while it'll still be fun 10 years from now, it won't be studied for very long.

The best description of how to reconcile that I've seen is, "It's a Saturday morning cartoon." I think that captures it well. The pacing is very fast, there's not much time for resting between action scenes, and there's really no sense of the distance of space. It takes the Falcon and crew several scenes to get from Tattooine to Alderaan in ANH, because space is big and the film uses this downtime to provide character development for Tarkin, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Luke. In one of TFA's set pieces, two ENTIRE OPPOSING ARMIES descend on a planet within what on-screen appears to be half an hour after they're tipped off. Were they just sort of waiting in the neighborhood, somehow unaware that an entire fleet of their mortal foes were next door? TFA doesn't bother to answer.

But you know what? Saturday morning cartoons are fun, even if they don't have lasting literary impact. It does take skill to create a roller coaster, and Abrams does much better in the action-oriented Star Wars realm than the diplomatically-oriented Star Trek realm. Captain Picard is a man who will talk his way out of trouble. Han Solo is a man who talks as a last resort: he's much better at shooting than diplomacy. (Spoilers!)

Through that lens, TFA does a good job, far better than any of Episodes I-III. There are downtimes between the action scenes, but they ask more questions than they answer. Where ANH and ESB had lots of interconnected plot reasons for people being where they are (Leia was seeking Obi-Wan, who was on Tattooine to oversee Luke, they left for Alderaan to meet up with Leia's people, and the Empire was there to intimidate Leia, etc.), TFA just sort of shrugs and says "lucky break". Who's that man with this macguffin? Why's this particular character on the mission? Why is it the same planet as this other character? Why did that spaceship happen to be there, and why did this other spaceship happen to be in the neighborhood? The answer to all of these questions is mostly "because the next scene can't happen if it isn't true".

Another description I saw: TFA is a Disney theme park ride. You board, you start smiling, you don't stop smiling after you get off, then it dumps you into the gift shop and hopes for the best. Its job is to make you happy to spend your money, and it does that well. My guess is many of the questions TFA raises will be answered in this comic series, that TV serial, this other novel, etc. But ultimately, what it seems to be setting up for is Episode 8: Before The Force Awakens. It's going to be a prequel. It has to be. We have too many questions about how the devil this story makes any sense at all. We'll have to wait patiently to get it.

ANH was developed to stand on its own, no one realized it was going to be a phenomenon with huge impact on several generations. As such, it wrapped itself up fairly well and could exist without the rest of Star Wars. TFA knows it's part of a 50-year-plan, and it's very specific about leaving hooks for you to get more. It's going to be a much better movie in about 5 years, so long as you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars on spin-off storytelling merchandise.

Spaceballs would be proud. "Moichendising!" Star Wars practially created it, and Disney's quite good at it.

And I have to admit it's so fun, I don't mind.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me: It's a great space romp. Kids will love it. Don't ask too many questions or expect a classic.

The Millennium Falcon Chase near the beginning was frickin' awesome, by the way. Probably the best sequence in any star wars film so far.

You don't want to know.

Except it's also a scene that raises so many questions from people who absolutely hate Rey. There's at least a few other parts where they try to establish a character can do something before they save the day with that ability, but this one was kind of a surprise.

Though I say, for comparison, that when Luke told the Rebel Alliance that the Death Star was easy to topple because he'd shot at some womp rats from a decrepit land-bound ship, there should've been a lot more laughter. Maybe the dramatic pause after should've had some eye rolls.

It'd be like the VB equivalent of saying, "Pfft. Writing forum software's a piece of cake. I used to write CRUD apps with Excel Automation on a 386 in the cube farm. Just slap some ASP on top of an Access database and we'll steal all of Stack Overflow's users."

Really the only thing I'm mad about is: "I don't know who Poe is or why the film wants me to be in love with him, because he didn't really do anything except provide a bumpy space limo ride to one character, then shoot a lot of things that couldn't shoot back at the end of the film."
    Last edited by Sitten Spynne; Jan 16th, 2016 at 02:44 PM.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Somebody dies at the end.

Edited by Moderator, the title of the thread clearly states No Spoilers.
    Last edited by Joacim Andersson; Jan 17th, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
    I don't live here any more.

You don't want to know.

Now that's just spiteful.

Except it's also a scene that raises so many questions from people who absolutely hate Rey.
    True, true. Thinking about it that one scene provides a microcosm of everything that's wrong and right with the new film. In terms of plot it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... but I was grinning from ear to ear to whole way through it.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I just watched this Yesterday, and i agree with many of the recent comments.

Its better than the Prequals, but not as good as the Originals.

I did mostly enjoy it, but i didn't love it.

The action scene were good, but my biggest problem was that i didn't like the new Characters much. Non of them were very cool like Han Solo, Jabba the Hut, Boba Fet or Lando Calrissian were especially in the originals.

Fin spent the whole film trying to run away, and then suddenly for no reason that is explained changes his mind.

Poe could have been a good character but it just felt like they cut most of his story, which is a pity as Oscar Issac is a good actor and was in one of my favourite recent sci fi films - Ex Machina

Rey was just annoying, she was to english and posh and her whole character arc seemed like it was on fast forward.

Kylo Ren I did't mind the fact that underneath the helmet he seemed like a childish adolescent, but for all his so called power he just wasn't very menacing or scary.

Also his use of the Force was just off key, sometime seeming much stronger then we have seen in any of the other films, and then suddenly not.

Also did anyone else feel that they just stole a lot of the original Star Wars plot themes and just remixed them slightly??
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post

Also did anyone else feel that they just stole a lot of the original Star Wars plot themes and just remixed them slightly??
    I think that was the point, and very deliberate.

People liked the original Space Opera, so do it again with better effects. Bring back the old characters to make the oldies at home. Add some new 'main' characters to bring in the young-uns. Maintain the tongue-in-cheek and slapstick droids. Merchandise the crap out of it.

King of sapila

Here is probably the only country that Star Wars is not at no1 box office
    Haven't seen it as for some medical reasons I cannot watch fast changing images in the dark yet and definitely no Cinema screens of any kind,
    I have it on, errr, anyhow, I can watch it on TV but for some reason I get like "bleah" whenever I get the Idea.
    I don't know, I mean I have done some fast forward and It doesn't excite me that much.
    And it's not like I got bored of the movies cuz I Saw Furious 8 at once without hesitation.Good s#it there as usual.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Here is probably the only country that Star Wars is not at no1 box office
    I have it on, errr, anyhow, I can watch it on TV ...
    Probably why it's not number 1 at the box office and why the Greek economy is in the tank...

[obligatory 'winky' here]

King of sapila

Yes and No.
    It's not no1 because there is a Greek movie here that is breaking the box office (the movie sucks but who said people have taste).
    As for the other part, it has nothing NOTHING to do with the Greek Economy, take my word for it on this one.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I saw it. Nice movie but the worst of the lot. It panders so mindlessly and blatantly to feminism, its actually quite sickening. That spoiled what would have otherwise been a good story.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

It panders so mindlessly and blatantly to feminism
    Really Niya why because it has a female lead?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I hate going to a movie with high expectations and walking out disappointed.

To make matters worse, even though I saw it at an IMAX theater, it was at one of the busiest malls in the State/Country... Parking was horrible and the theater was at the far end of the mall.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

You don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I saw it. Nice movie but the worst of the lot. It panders so mindlessly and blatantly to feminism, its actually quite sickening. That spoiled what would have otherwise been a good story.
    Yeah, I miss when films put nubile young women in their place. (That place is a bikini as a slave to a figure that represents an obese, elderly, unattractive man. Funny how that fantasy works out.

Oh, except she strangled him to death with her chains, because while the Skywalker men might be a bit flaky, you do not mess around with the Skywalker women.)

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    ...It panders so mindlessly and blatantly to feminism, its actually quite sickening....
    I'm really trying to figure out where this even remotely comes from...

Oh, come on. It has a woman in it who's good at driving! Talk about having to suspend your disbelief

Really Niya why because it has a female lead?
    Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    I'm really trying to figure out where this even remotely comes from...
    I'm somewhat familiar with the Star Wars franchise so it might be more obvious to me than a casual viewer. I can't really go into details without spoiling it, nonetheless its not so much so that it had a female lead but more so how competent she became in so little time with no guidance whatsoever. What was even more striking was how they made the male lead alongside her somewhat of a bumbling idiot who barely does anything. This stark contrast is classic feminism. Feminism is at its core a supremacist ideology. Its core dogma expresses a belief the superiority of womankind.

Princess Leia from the originals is the proper way to do it.

Now these things alone are not what made me recognize it. The truth is its a formula I've been seeing a lot lately in movies and TV shows. It has become far too obvious now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

it had a female lead but more so how competent she became in so little time with no guidance whatsoever. What was even more striking was how they made the male lead alongside her somewhat of a bumbling idiot who barely does anything. This stark contrast is classic feminism. Feminism is at its core a supremacist ideology. Its core dogma expresses a belief the superiority of womankind.
    Ah of course how did i miss it, now you explain it its as clear as day...... not !!!!

Its a film, the female lead was most likely a marketing decision.

And while you may not like feminism which is your prerogative its hardly a supremacist ideology, it was born out of Women not having the vote or any rights. Its kind of like saying that the American Civil Rights movement was a supremacist ideology.

In almost every Tom Cruise film i watch lately he somehow saves the world and i have to suspend my disbelief that Tom Cruise is the savior of humanity, but in no way does that make me think that they pander so mindlessly and blatantly to Scientology or even Tom Cruse-ism.

There just Films!!!

And while you may not like feminism which is your prerogative its hardly a supremacist ideology, it was born out of Women not having the vote or any rights.
    Feminism is one of those things that sounds good on paper but in reality got hijacked by crackpots with warped ideas. Nazism had the same humble beginnings.

In almost every Tom Cruise film i watch lately he somehow saves the world and i have to suspend my disbelief that Tom Cruise is the savior of humanity, but in no way does that make me think that they pander so mindlessly and blatantly to Scientology or even Tom Cruse-ism.

There just Films!!!
    There's a certain amount of disbelief I'm willing to suspend. This feminist garbage pretending to a Star Wars film is far too ridiculous, even for feminist propaganda. Give me Top Cruise saving the world any day!

Its a film, the female lead was most likely a marketing decision.
    I don't know what point you were trying to make with this statement but Star Wars having prominent female characters is hardly something new. Princess Leia is the most famous.

There are also numerous others like Master Luminara, Asoka Tano, and Asajj Ventress. All of them women and all formidable warriors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast