Thread: VB6 - Generate ECC Key DLL

Threaded View

Frenzied Member

VB6 - Generate ECC Key DLL

Attached is a DLL program that generates an ECC (Elliptical Curve Cryptography) Key, and a sample program to utilize it. Each side in the exchange creates a Public/Private key, and sends the Public Key to the other side. Each side then uses its own Private Key, and the Public Key received from the other end to create a common Shared Secret that can be used as a Session Key.

A standard DLL is used because it can combine 12 different API calls into one common routine that can be used by a VB program. For this purpose, I used the Standard DLL AddIn from Dansoft Australia http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/developers/vb.htm

Like some of the BCrypt calls, the DLL will return different information, depending on what information was supplied. If both the Public Key and Private Key are empty, it will return the internal Public\Private Keys and a single byte "0" The Public Key is sent to the other end, and the Private Key is used in the second call. On the second pass, the user supplies the Private Key that it earlier created, and the Public Key that it received from the other end. It should return the 32 byte Shared Secret. If an error occurred, a single byte will be returned with the number of the call that failed.

I transferred the entire byte arrays because they are relatively small, but in theory you should be able to just use a pointer to the first element of the array. Of course, if you do that, you will also have to supply the length of the array.

What I really wanted was the raw shared secret, but Microsoft seems to want to hash it first. I have not found a way to get the raw secret by itself, and I am still looking. If anyone can offer a suggestion, I am certainly willing to listen.

J.A. Coutts
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by couttsj; Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:27 PM.