Thread: [RESOLVED] Question about drag in Windows 8

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Question about drag in Windows 8

I realize that in Windows 8 when I use admin rights in my aplication I can't drag from wordpad to my usercontrol, but I can drag text from a form in my application to another form. When I use no admin rights then all works fine.
    I can drag text from my application to wordpad in either rights (admon or not).
    In windows 7 I have no problem.

Re: Question about drag in Windows 8

Depends on user rights of the applications. On Vista for example, I cannot drag any files from Explorer to my VB app if I run VB with elevated privileges. Generally speaking, you can't drag from a lower privilege to a higher privilege.

Sounds like this is what you are experiencing. If you were to run VB at normal user-rights (not admin, not elevated) then ran WordPad 'as administrator', you wouldn't be able to drag from your VB app to WordPad.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Frenzied Member

Thank You LaVolpe I understand now, we have to use a drag operation is same level application

Not completely. Either same or from higher to lower, not lower to higher.

Oh, and a crappy workaround for my Explorer to VB with elevated privileges? I open WordPad with elevated privileges, choose File|Open menu, then drag from that to my VB app.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

It's not limited to VB either; this behavior applies to any drag and drop like that on Windows 8 (and apparently, Vista). But not on 7. Long live 7! Only good Windows since XP.
    And unfortunately even the advanced API drag/drop can't get around it.

It's not limited to VB either
    Yep, didn't mean to imply VB-only issue. With WordPad, one opened normally and another 'as administrator', dragging text from low to high is prevented.

PowerPoster

Yeah I just wanted to make a note of it anyway, since so many drag and drop limitations are VB-only and can be worked around via API/COM.

PowerPoster

We ran round and round this mulberry bush a while back:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-administrator