Thread: The design surface is !Loading

The design surface is !Loading

Hey all,
    I've decided to move some of my vb.net stuff to web app and am simply noodling around in ASP for the time.
    In VS2013, I've created a VS web form application which created a number of files and default pages for a site. OK good, that's a great start.

I need a database so I right clicked the project and added one (Add New Item > Data > SQL Server Database). A prompt opened up telling me it should be placed in the App_Data folder; ok fine I clicked ok and now I have a database file in my project.

The database shows up in the server explorer as Dtabase1.mdf, and when I click on it, I can connect to it. When I try to add a table though, the IDE simple hangs with a message ("Loading... The design surface is loading.") It never loads (most of the time). In 2 days, I've had 2 attempts when I was actually able to modify or create a table. With both of those instances, VS ended up crashing and restarting. After that I can't add or modify any tables.
    Name:  Design Surface is Loading.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  15.8 KB
    Does anyone have any insight to this problem?

I have read this but beyond that I haven't found much on google that relates.
    thanks
    Kevin
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

King of sapila

Re: The design surface is !Loading

Although I have vs2013 I never used that add database feature because till VS2008(at least that's when I stopped caring) this database is ACCESS!!!!!HELP!HELP!A DATABASE JUNK IS LOADING!HELP!
    You see where I am getting to?
    Just add a db to sql express or regular paid sql if you have it and reference the querystring through web.config.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Although I have vs2013 I never used that add database feature because till VS2008(at least that's when I stopped caring) this database is ACCESS!!!!!HELP!HELP!A DATABASE JUNK IS LOADING!HELP!
    Um... that you don't like Access? OK, that's fine. But what's it got to do with the price of tea in China?

Just add a db to sql express or regular paid sql if you have it and reference the querystring through web.config.
    Or... get SSMS, and just use that to manage the database rather than VS. I've always thought VS made a poor substitute for a dedicated database management program.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Ok I'll give you that... Access is not the best choice. For what I'm doing now, it still should be ok. I have been working with this and the Loading problem seems to be either from within VS of with the connection to the DB file. It is work now, but it may crash out at any time.

One of the advantages I see to using an mdb file is portability. I should be able to configure the DB file, write the asp and upload the whole thing to my ISP and go live. I certainly could switch to a MSSQL or MySQL database, but I am not sure how I would then go from local designing and debugging to my ISP. I suppose I could export the local database as an sql file and run it on the server. Is that how it is normally done? And how do you deal with the changing connection string between developing with a local DB then switching to the remote DB?
    I refer you to my first post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    noodling around in ASP for the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Or... get SSMS, and just use that to manage the database rather than VS.
    I normally do all of my database management using HeidiSQL, but only with mySQL databases. If I can't get MSSQL working with it, I'll take a look at SSMS.
    kevin

A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Ok I'll give you that... Access is not the best choice. For what I'm doing now, it still should be ok. I have been working with this and the Loading problem seems to be either from within VS of with the connection to the DB file. It is work now, but it may crash out at any time.

One of the advantages I see to using an mdb file is portability. I should be able to configure the DB file, write the asp and upload the whole thing to my ISP and go live. I certainly could switch to a MSSQL or MySQL database, but I am not sure how I would then go from local designing and debugging to my ISP. I suppose I could export the local database as an sql file and run it on the server. Is that how it is normally done? And how do you deal with the changing connection string between developing with a local DB then switching to the remote DB?
    I refer you to my first post...

I normally do all of my database management using HeidiSQL, but only with mySQL databases. If I can't get MSSQL working with it, I'll take a look at SSMS.
    kevin
    Ummmm.... you ARE using MSSQL ... not Access... if you have an MDF file, that's SQL Server... if it's an MDB then that would be Access... soooo...... which is it?

as for the connection string... that's in the web.config file... you have a local version and a remote version... just be sure to not overwrite your remote with your local copy. Or vice versa.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

No you are right MDB is access. I have an MDF.

Ok, yea, there is the connection string. I was wondering where it was. As much as this is like making desktop forms, it's just different enough to make me scratch my head.
    Thanks
    kevin