Thread: Regarding Time Synchronisation.

Regarding Time Synchronisation.

Hi,

I like to keep my computer's time correct. I have scheduled a task to synchronise my PC's time every time I boot it up.

In my house there are three 'Radio Controlled' clocks, which display exactly the same time to within a second or two, we also have two android 'phones, both of these agree with the three radio clocks, again within a few seconds.

Why is my PC always about one minute and five seconds fast ?

Not in it's self terrible, but nevertheless a 'Niggle'.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

PowerPoster

Re: Regarding Time Synchronisation.

Windows PCs include a service that checks an Internet time server once every day to 7 days or so depending on how it is set. This is used to reset the clock as needed. Most post-DOS OSs that can run on PC hardware do something very similar.

If this isn't good enough it usually means there is something wrong with your hardware. You might not have real-time-clock hardware at all, or perhaps your BIOS & clock battery is nearly dead. If your system uses a supercapacitor for RTC power instead of a replaceable battery then it might not be getting a charge reliably. Or maybe your system clock's crystal was never quite right in the first place. Or maybe you have fiddled with motherboard voltages as part of overclocking a cheap CPU, which can throw off RTCs.

Most systems shouldn't drift more than a second (or at most two) per day unless they are subject to frequent wide temperature swings.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    You might not have real-time-clock hardware at all, or perhaps your BIOS & clock battery is nearly dead.
    Or maybe you have fiddled with motherboard voltages as part of overclocking a cheap CPU, which can throw off RTCs.
    Most systems shouldn't drift more than a second (or at most two) per day unless they are subject to frequent wide temperature swings.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure I do have a RTC.
    Even if the BIOS & clock battery were nearly dead, and it's only about two years old, surely the clock ought to be correct immediately after a sync. and surely even then, the time wouldn't be almost exactly 1 minute and 5 seconds fast for the rest of the day... That would drift off wouldn't it?

I've not overclocked my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz. CPU. (Not cheap).

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Maybe the pc clock is correct and every thing else is wrong