Thread: VB.Net Windows Monitoring Applications

VB.Net Windows Monitoring Applications

Hello my name's Phil. I've been a long time lurker here and I recently signed up. I really appreciate all of the good posts that I've learned from over the years. I've been involved in monitoring Windows systems for almost a decade and over the years I've used just about everything out there. I decided this year to start writing my own monitoring agent. It's still a little bit rough but it works quite well. I hope it's ok to share github projects here. I apologize if not.

The agent is written as a Windows service. It uses WMI to collect data locally. It then encrypts the data and sends it over TCP to a server listener (or to itself). The agent itself also has a listener that can listen for configuration changes. The agent also stores up to 7 days of data locally incase the network goes down. The server component that I've released is very much a pre-beta. I just released it so the agent has something to talk to.

If you have any questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Monitoring Agent 2.0.1
    This is a VB.Net Windows Service WMI Monitoring Agent

This is a basic Windows monitoring agent that collects system, processor, memory, disk, and service data, logs it to a database and has the capability to send the data to a central server. It is built as a Windows service and runs every minute by default. Since this is a Windows service it is somewhat difficult to test so I have also created a second repository for a Console Application version of the Agent. Please use that if you are looking to learn the inner workings of this agent.

Changes for Version 2.0.1 (2015/11/26): 1. TCP connections now error correctly 2. Data that is not sent due to TCP errors will be sent when the connection is reestablished

Changes for Version 2.0.0 (2015/11/24): 1. TCP connections now use asynchronous communication. 2. TCP logging has been enabled by default. 3. Most of the Public subroutines were converted from shared to instances. 4. Installation path has changed.

Application Installer:

This Agent uses the Visual Studio installer. It will install the Agent by default to C:\Program Files\wcpSoft\M2. This can be changed during setup. The agent is also by default set to Automatic startup and runs under the local system account.

Configuration and Data files:

AgentDatabase.xml is the Agent database. It is created when the agent is started.

AgentConfiguration.xml is the Agent configuration. It is also created when the agent is started.

To configure services add a new line with the following values.

object class="windows" parameter="service" value="ServiceName"

Network Information:

This application sends data over TCP port 10000 by default and receives traffic on port 10000. This values can be changed in the AgentConfiguration.xml file. The Agent is also configured to accept new encrypted xml configuration files over port 10000.

Security/Encryption:

This aplication uses a weak version of AES packet encryption over TCP. Please change the Key and IV if you plan on using this code for production.

https://github.com/philipcwhite

Re: VB.Net Windows Monitoring Applications

I updated my project's server component. Now both the data collector and data engine run as services. There is still a good deal of code cleanup left to do here but I'm making a lot of progress. I'm looking forward to building a web interface for this but I have a few more administrative components like the event/threshold engine that needs to be taken care of first. Thanks for checking out my project.