Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Board is being spammed.

Re: The Board is being spammed.

The attached picture shows a "Reported Post" that is created when you guys use the Report function.

These show up in hidden forum. And the two moderators in the pic get emailed. There is no need for one person to report the same spammer more than one time. We're able to zap all posts as a group function.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner_H View Post
    Just wanted to add my own THANK YOU to everyone working on fixing this. A lot of us have dealt with similar issues on our own websites, so if you need an extra "pair of hands", don't hesitate to ask!
    Agreed, if this forum could use someone able to remove this spam as it comes in I can lend a hand. I'm a mod on another programming forum that uses this same version of vBulletin so I'm familiar with removing the spam en-mass.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Agreed, if this forum could use someone able to remove this spam as it comes in I can lend a hand. I'm a mod on another programming forum that uses this same version of vBulletin so I'm familiar with removing the spam en-mass.
    The question of adding additional moderators has be raised for both helping with spam and helping with the general membership. I leave it to the existing mod team to let me (or the admin team) know when they want us to add more people. If they say, "let's do it, please add ____", then we generally will do it.

Edit:
    I know they've been bantering a few names to add.

Appreciate that you are interested. As a general note (to others reading this), we won't consider someone for a moderator that hasn't been on the site for at least a year and had a noted number of posts.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Agreed - page display issues are not related to the spamming issue. They are an issue all on their own.
    They have to either be related to the spam threads, or database issues related to staff actions on the spam threads (although there's an issue with that; but it would take a very very long post to explain and isn't definitive). Because the forum is flooded again and the display issue is back again. In all the years I've been here, this display issue has occurred only these past couple weeks and only on a spam flood post. The odds of this being a coincidence... yeah nope.
    The spam flood tonight has been up for hours... could the posts have been deleted a while ago and update issues are causing the current display problem? If that's not the case and they have really been up for hours... really need more people capable of doing something. I understand the concerns about abuse but I don't think people who've contributed for years are going to risk being suspended or banned just to wrongly move a thread they don't like to an invisible forum for a couple hours until actual staff restore it. There's zero room for interpretation about whether or not a thread is the kind of spam targeted by this.

It's not the spamming that causes that issue... it's the spam itself... so there's only so much that can be done. I noticed the up tick in the spam last night too... middle of the night here in the US and western Europe... morning in the eastern Asia areas... made sense... spammers are awake, the mods are asleep... not much can be done about that.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

It's happened again today. As far as I can tell multiple posts, each with the same subject, by the same user and in a short time are posted, but only in the vb.net forum. And even wierder, they're all in some Japanese/Chinese/Korean/etc. looking script. Not really expecting anything, I ran today's seemingly meaningless subject through Google Translate; it's detected as being Korean and although what comes out is still mostly a bit of a mess, this is what appears:

Code:
    Toto website ↑↑ $ ↑↑ KAKA 83.COM kkatok : oxiz ↑↑ $ ↑↑ private Toto
    Toto, gambling? How surprising... Japanese and Chinese, only turn up more meaningless characters.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Yeah, we got hit pretty hard last night and there was a ton of it when I logged on this morning. It a little while to get rid of it but I think it's cleaned up now and it looks like they've stopped submitting for the time being.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Yeah, have found some of my long forgotten/resolved threads have be resurrected just for the purpose of spamming them.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

If see something like that, please report it. It's easy enough to scan for new threads being added for the sole purpose of spam, but a resurection for the purpose of spam can be overlooked more easily.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Sure seems like the massive amounts of spam have stopped. The same thing happened at WebDev...

YEA!!

(i hope i didn't jinx anything by bringing this up)
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Let's also hope they didn't simply move to one of our other forums.....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It does seem to have disappeared for now. I wasn't sure if the increased mod activity was just clearing it up before I logged on or whether it had stopped but I'm cautiously starting to believe it's the latter. Let's just hope they didn't just take a Xmas break.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12