Table 1 - tblProducts
    PID PARTNO DESCRIPTION BRAND OPSTOCK DATECREATED
    1 00001 Test1 Brand1 1000 1/1/2015
    2 00002 Test2 Brand2 500 1/1/2015

Table 2 - tblSales
    SID PID PARTNO DESCRIPTION BRAND QTY SALESDATE
    1 1 00001 Test1 Brand1 100 2/1/2015
    1 1 00001 Test1 Brand1 250 3/1/2015

My only question is how do i attain the balance as on a particular date of both the items and show them on a datagrid using sql statement.

if i choose the date 1/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 1000 and Test2 should be 500
    if i choose the date 2/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 900 and Test2 should be 500
    if i choose the date 3/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 650 and Test2 should be 500 and so on..

I am having a problem with this because there is no sales for Product 2 in the sales table the sql query that i try to write gives me some null error.

Any help should be appreciated.

Re: Stock Balance

when you do your query and try to return a value and you are getting a 'null error', include in your display of the value using an IsNull statement, like:

Code:
    If NOT isNull(rs!QTY) then '
        display the value.....
    end if

PowerPoster

Can't say what problem you are having without seeing the code you are using

Lively Member

ok this is the actual project code that i am doing and this is how it goes..

I am sorry for not using line breaks in the long sentences as i am unable to do so.

This code displays the results in a MSFLEXGRID.

What i would like to know is...is there any better way to do this and what are the flaws in this code?

Code:
    'Select everything from the products Table
    SqlProducts = "select opstock from products where datecreated <='" & Calendar2.Month & "/" & Calendar2.Day & "/" & Calendar2.Year & "'" ' where productid='" & txtPID.Text & "'"
    Set ProductsRS = cn.Execute(SqlProducts)

'always revert the rows of the flexgrid back to 1
    MSFlexGrid1.Rows = 1

'increment the rows in the flexgrid to the number of rows available in the productsrs
    MSFlexGrid1.Rows = MSFlexGrid1.Rows + ProductsRS.RecordCount

For i = 1 To ProductsRS.RecordCount
        'Do the total of all the items sold starting from when they were created until the date chosen in the calendar
        SqlCS = "select sum(qty) from tblcs where cashsaledate <='" & Calendar2.Month & "/" & Calendar2.Day & "/" & Calendar2.Year & "' and productid='" & i & "'"
        Set CSRS = cn.Execute(SqlCS)

If Not IsNull(CSRS(0).Value) Then
            SqlProducts = "select Partno,description,brand,opstock from products where productid ='" & i & "'"
            'Productid
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 1) = i
            'PartNo
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 2) = ProductsRS(0).Value
            'Description
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 3) = ProductsRS(1).Value
            'Brand
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 4) = ProductsRS(2).Value
            'Stock Balance when some sales have been made
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 5) = Val(ProductsRS(3).Value - CSRS(0).Value)
            Else
            SqlProducts = "select Partno,description,brand,opstock from products where productid ='" & i & "'"
            'productid
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 1) = i
            'PartNo
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 2) = ProductsRS(0).Value
            'Description
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 3) = ProductsRS(1).Value
            'Brand
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 4) = ProductsRS(2).Value
            'Takes the oppening stock balance when the item was created
            MSFlexGrid1.TextMatrix(i, 5) = ProductsRS(3).Value
            End If
    Next

I've go to head off to a location today without access to VB6....if not solved by this evening, I'll suggest a better way.

But, at first glance, you do not need to do a separate query for getting the number of rows for your grid. You can simply use

Code:
    msflexgrid1.rows = msflexgrid1.rows + 1
    as you go through your recordset populating the grid.

Secondly, unless you have a header row, you'd want to start off with msflexgrid1.rows = 0, not 1.

Also, if any of your values being returned in your last query are null, you probably need the NOT IsNull() statement where you assign those values to your grid cells.

Again, as Arnold Schwarzenegger says: "I'll be back," If someone has solved this for you by then, great, otherwise I'll give you an example.

PowerPoster

The code really doesn't make much sense to me.

My biggest question is why are you trying to adjust the stock value in such a manner. Typically a program should adjust the stock value as items are sold so that the data in the table reflects the actual qty that is in stock at any given time.

Fanatic Member

My question would be - why are you breaking fundamental rules of database design and duplicating data all over the place?

Code:
    Table 1 - tblProducts
    +-----+--------+-------------+--------+---------+-------------+ 
    | PID | PARTNO | DESCRIPTION | BRAND  | OPSTOCK | DATECREATED | 
    |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 |    1000 | 1/1/2015    | 
    |   2 |      2 | Test2       | Brand2 |     500 | 1/1/2015    | 

Table 2 - tblSales
    +-----+-----+--------+-------------+--------+-----+-----------+ 
    | SID | PID | PARTNO | DESCRIPTION | BRAND  | QTY | SALESDATE | 
    |   1 |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 | 100 | 2/1/2015  | 
    |   1 |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 | 250 | 3/1/2015  | 
    Your Sales table needs to know what was sold, when and how much of it. The "when" and "how much" are correctly held in the SALESDATE and QTY fields. The "What" only needs to identify a Product, i.e. you need to hold the [Primary] Key of the relevant products record.

I'm puzzled as to the [Primary] Key on your Sales table.
    If SID represents an individual Sale, then how can Sale #1 occur on two different dates?
    If SID represents, say, a Salesperson, then it makes more sense, but only in combination with the Date of that sale.

Code:
    Table 2 - tblSales
    +-----+-----+-----+-----------+ 
    | SID | PID | QTY | SALESDATE | 
    |   1 |   1 | 100 | 2/1/2015  | 
    |   1 |   1 | 250 | 3/1/2015  | 
    This isn't being picky or pedantic; these really are fundamental database concepts that you need to get right, or you're going to hit problem after problem as your database grows.

Regards, Phill W.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phill.W View Post
    My question would be - why are you breaking fundamental rules of database design and duplicating data all over the place?

Code:
    Table 1 - tblProducts
    | PID | PARTNO | DESCRIPTION | BRAND  | OPSTOCK | DATECREATED | 
    |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 |    1000 | 1/1/2015    | 
    |   2 |      2 | Test2       | Brand2 |     500 | 1/1/2015    | 

Table 2 - tblSales
    | SID | PID | PARTNO | DESCRIPTION | BRAND  | QTY | SALESDATE | 
    |   1 |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 | 100 | 2/1/2015  | 
    |   1 |   1 |      1 | Test1       | Brand1 | 250 | 3/1/2015  | 
    Your Sales table needs to know what was sold, when and how much of it. The "when" and "how much" are correctly held in the SALESDATE and QTY fields. The "What" only needs to identify a Product, i.e. you need to hold the [Primary] Key of the relevant products record.

I'm puzzled as to the [Primary] Key on your Sales table.
    If SID represents an individual Sale, then how can Sale #1 occur on two different dates?
    If SID represents, say, a Salesperson, then it makes more sense, but only in combination with the Date of that sale.

Code:
    Table 2 - tblSales
    | SID | PID | QTY | SALESDATE | 
    |   1 |   1 | 100 | 2/1/2015  | 
    |   1 |   1 | 250 | 3/1/2015  | 
    This isn't being picky or pedantic; these really are fundamental database concepts that you need to get right, or you're going to hit problem after problem as your database grows.

Regards, Phill W.
    Hi Phill,
    for that part of the question i am sorry for the typing error, that is obviously a typing error from my side, that was just an example of what i wanted to do in my project. So the second SID should have been 2.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    The code really doesn't make much sense to me.

My biggest question is why are you trying to adjust the stock value in such a manner. Typically a program should adjust the stock value as items are sold so that the data in the table reflects the actual qty that is in stock at any given time.
    lol, that is exactly what i am unable to do MASTER, and so my code is going here and there...but the code that i have posted here above does actually work...i just want to know if there is a better way to do this...

The limitations in this code of mine are quite plenty i guess.

PowerPoster

Well normally what you would do is when the sale takes place you adjust the inventory accordingly.

So if you sell 10 of item3 this morning at the time of the sale you update two tables. In one table you record the sale along with the qty sold and any other info that you might need and at that same time you reduce the amount of product in inventory by that amount. There is nothing complicated about it simply update Inventory Set QtyOnHand=QtyOnHand-SaleQty where ProductID=ProductSold

As for the code posted actually working... Does it really? I mean it displays a total on the screen but it doesn't update anything. Do you have a field in the db that holds the actual qty on hand or is the only way to know by calculating all the sales and subtracting from the opening balance each time?
    Last edited by DataMiser; Nov 10th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Well normally what you would do is when the sale takes place you adjust the inventory accordingly.

So if you sell 10 of item3 this morning at the time of the sale you update two tables. In one table you record the sale along with the qty sold and any other info that you might need and at that same time you reduce the amount of product in inventory by that amount. There is nothing complicated about it simply update Inventory Set QtyOnHand=QtyOnHand-SaleQty where ProductID=ProductSold

As for the code posted actually working... Does it really? I mean it displays a total on the screen but it doesn't update anything. Do you have a field in the db that holds the actual qty on hand or is the only way to know by calculating all the sales and subtracting from the opening balance each time?
    That's debatable... it's fine as long as all you ever need to know is what's currently on hand. In order to find out how much you had on any given date, it becomes tricky because you have to back into it by putting back everything you sold in the meantime. Personally I prefer to treat it more like a ledger... you have pieces coming in (supply) and pieces going out (sales). Then to get the inventory count on any given day, you simply take the sum of all supplies prior to the request date, subtract the sum of sales prior to the date, and that gives you the inventory on any given date. Which is EXACTLY what the OP is looking for:

if i choose the date 1/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 1000 and Test2 should be 500
    if i choose the date 2/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 900 and Test2 should be 500
    if i choose the date 3/1/2015 then the balance on Test1 should be 650 and Test2 should be 500 and so on..
    Unfortunately OpStock is just a field on the product, so we'll have to assume there haven't been any supplies added ...
    Code:
    select P.PARTNO, P.DESCRIPTION, P.BRAND, P.OPSTOCK, P.OPSTOCK - isnull(Q.SoldQty, 0) as RemainingStock
    from tblProducts P
    left join (select PartNo, sum(QTY) as SoldQty from tblSales group by PartNo) Q on P.PartNo = Q.PArtNo
    Something like that/// the sub query needs to be adjusted to filter based on the date... but it's close enough.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    That's debatable... it's fine as long as all you ever need to know is what's currently on hand. In order to find out how much you had on any given date, it becomes tricky because you have to back into it by putting back everything you sold in the meantime. Personally I prefer to treat it more like a ledger... you have pieces coming in (supply) and pieces going out (sales). Then to get the inventory count on any given day, you simply take the sum of all supplies prior to the request date, subtract the sum of sales prior to the date, and that gives you the inventory on any given date. Which is EXACTLY what the OP is looking for:

Unfortunately OpStock is just a field on the product, so we'll have to assume there haven't been any supplies added ...
    Code:
    select P.PARTNO, P.DESCRIPTION, P.BRAND, P.OPSTOCK, P.OPSTOCK - isnull(Q.SoldQty, 0) as RemainingStock
    from tblProducts P
    left join (select PartNo, sum(QTY) as SoldQty from tblSales group by PartNo) Q on P.PartNo = Q.PArtNo
    Something like that/// the sub query needs to be adjusted to filter based on the date... but it's close enough.

-tg
    Awesome brother,
    This is what i was looking for, works perfectly so far..Thank you very much.. but would you mind explaining this part "isnull(Q.SoldQty, 0)"
    Last edited by muzamilsumra; Nov 11th, 2015 at 03:17 AM.

Fanatic Member

... it's fine as long as all you ever need to know is what's currently on hand. In order to find out how much you had on any given date, it becomes tricky because you have to back into it by putting back everything you sold in the meantime.
    Those are two completely discrete (and wildly differing) requirements and you cannot [sensibly] satisfy both from the same [set of] table[s]. The processing overheads would make your application excruciatingly slow. (Try throwing a couple of thousand rows into each of your your tables and see how well(?) your application performs).

For Transactional work (i.e. selling stuff), you need to know how much of everything you have now.

For historical queries (what you had when), you need to maintain a [set of] "history" table[s] (a.k.a. your "Ledger") that record[s] the state of things at any point in time. Making changes to the "real-time" tables should automatically update the "history" tables (through triggers) so that these changes are never lost.

Regards, Phill W.

I don't disagree with most of that... but it is what the OP asked for initially... but to obtain it given the current structure... not going to be pretty that's for sure. HE's got two halves of different methods. Personally I'd go with a complete ledger style design. Once a month, inventory is taken, and you draw a line in the sand and write a transaction record that says "as of the first of the month, this is the inventory balance" ... then that's used as the baseline for all subsequent balance transactions. It's same as how we close out financial books. Not much different from balancing a checkbook each month.

But... presumably the OP can't change his structure, so it is what it is and has to be dealt with as such.

but would you mind explaining this part "isnull(Q.SoldQty, 0)"
    Because the join is a left join - so that we get items that haven't been sold - their SoldQty will be null (because there are no matching sales) so that changes the NULL into a 0 value. IsNull is SQLServer, so you'll need to replace it with what ever IsNull function your database provides. I believe it is NZ for Access, IsNull also works in MySQL, not sure about any others.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I don't disagree with most of that... but it is what the OP asked for initially... but to obtain it given the current structure... not going to be pretty that's for sure. HE's got two halves of different methods. Personally I'd go with a complete ledger style design. Once a month, inventory is taken, and you draw a line in the sand and write a transaction record that says "as of the first of the month, this is the inventory balance" ... then that's used as the baseline for all subsequent balance transactions. It's same as how we close out financial books. Not much different from balancing a checkbook each month.

But... presumably the OP can't change his structure, so it is what it is and has to be dealt with as such.

Because the join is a left join - so that we get items that haven't been sold - their SoldQty will be null (because there are no matching sales) so that changes the NULL into a 0 value. IsNull is SQLServer, so you'll need to replace it with what ever IsNull function your database provides. I believe it is NZ for Access, IsNull also works in MySQL, not sure about any others.

-tg
    Thx again for the clarification, now i understand that tht statement means "if soldqty is NULL then replace it with 0...UNDERSTOOD.

Ill try adding up some thousands of entries and see how the software performs...will get to you guys with the feedback.

Lively Member

Ok, So i imported 10,000 products in my products table, imported some 2500 sales entries in my tblcs table and some 4000 sales entries tblinv table. To my surprise the system is working as smooth as if it has no entries and giving me the correct balances as on certain dates exactly the way i want it to do.. for your information i am using SQL server 2008 for my project. I dont know if i am missing any point over here that you guys are trying to explain to me.

Just for giggles, before you mark this Thread as resolved, how about posting your revised code...it MAY help others in the future, OR, others may still have suggestions on how to improve it even more....

Sammi

Quote Originally Posted by muzamilsumra View Post
    I dont know if i am missing any point over here that you guys are trying to explain to me.
    I don't think so. The discussion Phill and I are having is largely academic and relates to the architecture/design of the tables. I don't think either of us it 100% happy with it, but sometimes you gotta work with what you have.

-tg

Frenzied Member

my 2 cents:
    regarding the 2 systems proposed here,it does not have to be 1 or 2, it can be 1 and 2
    i suppose OPSTOCK means OPENINGSTOCK (is that used for something ?)
    add an INSTOCK field to the products table
    and the 2 systems become 1, and can even be used to control each other

but the design ?
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    come on,
    simply dropping 3 columns of the sales table already is a big step
    but considering the design as it is, it is my opinion that, of the 13 fields in the 2 tables
    at least 5 are totally superfluous

muzamilsumra
    regarding your code,
    the use of a fields ordinal position is a very bad idea
    suppose someone changes it ? (could even be by accident)

could you tell us what indexes/keys there are on the tables ?
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    my 2 cents:
    regarding the 2 systems proposed here,it does not have to be 1 or 2, it can be 1 and 2
    i suppose OPSTOCK means OPENINGSTOCK (is that used for something ?)
    add an INSTOCK field to the products table
    and the 2 systems become 1, and can even be used to control each other

but the design ?

come on,
    simply dropping 3 columns of the sales table already is a big step
    but considering the design as it is, it is my opinion that, of the 13 fields in the 2 tables
    at least 5 are totally superfluous

muzamilsumra
    regarding your code,
    the use of a fields ordinal position is a very bad idea
    suppose someone changes it ? (could even be by accident)

could you tell us what indexes/keys there are on the tables ?
    Ok, The Products Table has a key as "PID" the tblCS table has a key as "CSID" and the tblInv table has a key as "INVID" which i have left them to be generated automatically.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Just for giggles, before you mark this Thread as resolved, how about posting your revised code...it MAY help others in the future, OR, others may still have suggestions on how to improve it even more....

Sammi
    Dear Sam this is the code that i have used

This code shows all the products that are created after the selected date on the calendar and the stock available after deducting whatever is sold before the date selected.

Code:
    SqlProducts = "select p.productid,p.partno,p.opstock,p.opstock - isnull(i.soldqty,0) - isnull(q.soldqty,0) as Stock,p.datecreated" & _
                " from (products p left join (select productid, sum(qty) as soldqty from tblcs where" & _
                " cashsaledate <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "' group by productid)" & _
                " q on p.productid=q.productid)" & _
                " left join (select productid,sum(qty) as soldqty from tblinv where" & _
                " invoicedate <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "' group by productid) i on p.productid=i.productid" & _
                " where p.datecreated <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "'"
    Debug.Print SqlProducts
    Set DataGrid1.DataSource = ProductsRS

Frenzied Member

Ok, The Products Table has a key as "PID" the tblCS table has a key as "CSID" and the tblInv table has a key as "INVID" which i have left them to be generated automatically.
    since i dont see a table tblCS nor a table tblInv , i cannot comment on them
    but since there is no index/key on PARTNO of table products,
    there can be any number of duplicate PARTNO's in table Products ?

Lively Member

since i dont see a table tblCS nor a table tblInv , i cannot comment on them
    but since there is no index/key on PARTNO of table products,
    there can be any number of duplicate PARTNO's in table Products ?
    Well in my first post i just gave a sample of what i wanted, that was not my actual project, my actual project was the long code that i posted
    Code:
    SqlProducts = "select p.productid,p.partno,p.opstock,p.opstock - isnull(i.soldqty,0) - isnull(q.soldqty,0) as Stock,p.datecreated" & _
                " from (products p left join (select productid, sum(qty) as soldqty from tblcs where" & _
                " cashsaledate <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "' group by productid)" & _
                " q on p.productid=q.productid)" & _
                " left join (select productid,sum(qty) as soldqty from tblinv where" & _
                " invoicedate <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "' group by productid) i on p.productid=i.productid" & _
                " where p.datecreated <='" & Calendar1.Month & "/" & Calendar1.Day & "/" & Calendar1.Year & "'"
    Debug.Print SqlProducts
    Set DataGrid1.DataSource = ProductsRS
    This one includes everything, tblcs and tblinv too.

And as for the partno there is no index/key because the index/key is set to the productid. There can be as many duplicated part no's as possible.

Frenzied Member

And as for the partno there is no index/key because the index/key is set to the productid. There can be as many duplicated part no's as possible.
    do i understand that correctly ?
    can several different products have the same partno ?
    iow: can 1 partno have more than 1 productid ?
    if so, then just what is partno ?

and just to see if we are talking about the same thing:
    by productid you mean PID as in post #1, right ?
    by partno you mean PARTNO as in post #1, right ?

Lively Member

do i understand that correctly ?
    can several different products have the same partno ?
    iow: can 1 partno have more than 1 productid ?
    if so, then just what is partno ?
    Well we can have the same kind of product with the same part no in different BRANDS. we just need to make its productid (PID) unique.

and just to see if we are talking about the same thing:
    by productid you mean PID as in post #1, right ?
    Yes you're right.

by partno you mean PARTNO as in post #1, right ?
    Yes you're right.

Frenzied Member

oh, ok, i see
    but, if it is the same product, only from a different brand
    should there then not be a table for the brands ?
    with a 1 to many relationship between table 'Products' and table 'Brands' ?
    or is the same product from different brands really not the very same product ?