and

Code:
    for i = 1 to 4
    x(i) = x(i) + 1
    print x(i)
    next
    the same?

Re: for vs for each

There may be a difference... I can't remember off the top of my head if they would be treated as value variables, in which case, no, the two are not the same, or as reference, in which case they would be treated the same. I want to say the values get copied from x to k, so once it prints k, it's value is lost and the original array values remain intact. On the other hand since the second loop does a direct assignment on the array itself, the values there are affected. Best way to find out would be to experiment some and print out or review the contents of the array, after each loop.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Another thing there is that the second loop would fail as the array in question would be 0-3 rather than 1 to 4

PowerPoster

Well one obvious difference is that in the For Each......Next loop you don't need to know the number of elements while in the For....Next loop you do

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    Well one obvious difference is that in the For Each......Next loop you don't need to know the number of elements while in the For....Next loop you do
    You do not actually need to know the number of elements nor even the starting point as you can use LBound() and UBound() for that when working with arrays.

the bounds need to be known... whether you know them at design or run time is largely academic... sort of it is that for a For loop to work, you need the lower (starting) value and the upper (ending) value of the loop range.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

One restriction with using For/Each with arrays is that the array cannot contain UDTs and the variable being used in the loop must be Variant, not Object nor any other data type
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    ... best response, in my opinion. We should take x(1, 2, 0 ,-1) as a mathematical set that hypothetically could be infinite

PowerPoster

while the OP example only shows an array, the same question could apply to collections and objects containing collections of objects, where sometimes it is required to loop the collection in reverse order, afaik, not possible using for each
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Frenzied Member

In the OP both chunks of code end with -
    Next

And in a recent thread (different author) I saw another example of that.
    Should it not say -
    Next k
    Even if only for commenting purposes, and future debugging

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    Should it not say -
    Next k
    Even if only for commenting purposes, and future debugging
    Personal preferences. Makes readability better if having loops within loops. But for a single loop, I never do it and generally never do unless I have a very complex multi-loop structure, simply because clear indenting negates an ambiguity.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}