Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Insanely incredible things read on the interwebtubenets today.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Insanely incredible things read on the interwebtubenets today.

That pretty much describes a typical weekend for me.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You think it's a punctuated equilibrium you have on the weekends?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner_H View Post
    take it with a massive dose of saly.
    Don't be doing that, it's probably not good for you either.

This is why we routinely see Jesus in a piece of toast,
    Yeah, that one has put me off toast for years now. Every day I'd make a piece of toast, and every day...there'd be Jesus, blessing the loaves and raising the weevils and things. I tried to let the mold grow on my refrigerator, thinking he might show up there for a change and leave my toast alone, but all I got was a drunken Mel Gibson. So, now any toast I make is crawling with resurrected weevils and my refrigerator is making slurred, anti-semitic, remarks. I had to give up on the lot.

By the way, I believe it is Punctuated!! Equilibrium.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner_H View Post
    If it comes from Jeff Rense or his website, take it with a massive dose of salt.
    Good point, though the posted link was merely an attempt to provide a version of the translation with large clear print making for a quick skim-and-go.

As for the content itself all I found notable was the incredible date assigned to the find (or hoax) and the layering of materials including a hard transparent protective top layer.

The layering could easily be from a natural geological process - if actually present at all. The poor photos available (probably no coincidence) don't begin to suggest anything like a map to me beyond some things that look like bumps and cracks that I can't make out.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Yeah, the layering's kinda freaky but I found a few sources saying it could be natural. I did find one article that said there was a layer of laquer on it which couldn't be natural but I couldn't find a second source to corroborate it.

I do find looking at stuff like that fun but I tend not to take it very seriously. I think Tanner was right. We tend to see what we want to see.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

There is something called "rock varnish", which is naturally occuring, though it seems unlikely to be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    There is something called "rock vanish", which is naturally occuring, though it seems unlikely to be the same thing.
    Isn't that also known as erosion?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Isn't that also known as erosion?

-tg
    Kind of exactly the opposite, actually:

Originally scientists thought that the varnish was made from substances drawn out of the rocks it coats.[6] Microscopic and microchemical observations, however, show that a major part of varnish is clay, which could only arrive by wind.[7] Clay, then, acts as a substrate to catch additional substances that chemically react together when the rock reaches high temperatures in the desert sun. Wetting by dew is also important in the process.[3]
    So, it appears to be a form of accretion rather than erosion.

Weird stuff, but lots of petroglyphs are etched into it, so it has some serious long-term stability.

Kind of exactly the opposite, actually:

So, it appears to be a form of accretion rather than erosion.

Weird stuff, but lots of petroglyphs are etched into it, so it has some serious long-term stability.
    my fault for not bringing better attention to this misquote.

There is something called "rock vanish", which is naturally occuring, though it seems unlikely to be the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafikki
    Looooook haaaaarrrder.....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Ouch, missed that typo.

It really was a typo, too, though I might have gone for a pun. As it was, somebody just stole my pirate.

PowerPoster

A friend pointed out another link the other day:

The 5,000-year-old Pyramid City of Caral

It is widely taught in the field of ancient history that Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and India, gave rise to the first civilizations of mankind. However, few are aware that at the same time, and in some cases before some of these societies emerged, another great civilization had sprouted - the Norte Chico civilization of Supe, Peru – the first known civilization of the Americas. Their capital was the Sacred City of Caral – a 5,000-year-old metropolis complete with complex agricultural practices, rich culture, and monumental architecture, including six large pyramidal structures, stone and earthen platform mounds, temples, amphitheatre, sunken circular plazas, and residential areas.
    From what I've read other places this appears to have been a thriving center of trade in the region that was at peace for hundreds of years. What I haven't seen yet are theories of what its eventual downfall was.

And it appears even older cities of its kind have been found in the area since its uncovering.

Well, the last statures found were of a guy who appeared to have a squirrel on his head.

Well, the last statures found were of a guy who appeared to have a squirrel on his head.
    It does take a lot of stature to handle a squirrel on ones head...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

AUUUGGHH. My typos are coming back to haunt me. It would be one thing if I managed to make an error that resulted in "not a word", but my typos are actual words...just the wrong ones.

Imagine if your syntax errors also became code - just not the intended code.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Like spellcheck, if it compiles it must be right. Right?

I've been thinking about bugs a bit. If I have an application that has been running for a few years, then I add a new feature, then that is a bug of a different sort. As we have errors of commission and errors of omission, we also have bugs of commission (where you write code that doesn't do what you intended) and bugs of omission (where you don't write code to perform a function that is actually desired). A new feature, if it is actually desirable, is just a certain form of a bug of omission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123