Thread: What antivirus software do you use? Problems with Avira, Avast 2015, and Panda 2016

Question What antivirus software do you use? Problems with Avira, Avast 2015, and Panda 2016

Currently I have the latest free version of the Avira antivirus installed, but after two days of use, I'm removing it since it's buggy. The Avira antivirus interface doesn't show when I click it's Start/desktop icon, or clicking it's icon from it's system tray control panel. After install and reinstalls, it's interface works once or maybe twice if I'm lucky, but then it doesn't display anymore. Only a pop-up error message stating "Control Center:avcenter.exe - Application Error... The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x717d7676."

Name:  error_ message.png
Views: 1331
Size:  13.4 KB

What I also hate about Avira, which isn't a bug, is the fact I can't download virus definitions separately to install manually compared to other antivirus programs that have this option. Call me crazy, but I don't trust auto-updates of any software. Seeing it's unprofessional interface should have been a warning that this product is half baked, but I did give it a chance.

Anyway, I have an idea of what I plan to replace Avira with, but I wont advertise it.

What antivirus software do you currently use? Are you happy with it?
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Aug 29th, 2015 at 05:06 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: What antivirus software do you use? I have buggy Avira 2015, but uninstalling it.

I'm using BitDefender for many years, it is work great for me.

Re: What antivirus software do you use? I have buggy Avira 2015, but uninstalling it.

I'm still running Win7 & I use MSE
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

I have Avast! on one computer and AVG on a couple of others. AVG (was) nice since it appeared to be low impact. It's a bit pushy, now, with it's notifications that look like 'viruses' pushing to click and upgrade your protection. Ironic. Avast appears to be OK, but since I don't get viruses I don't know how well it works. It does pick up newly compiled executables in VS and performs a scan, occasionally, before it allows you to run it.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled Avast 2015, but I can't get it's interface to show in Windows 7 Home Premium. Everytime I click Avast, a pop-up appears stating "A referral was returned from the server." for AvastUI.exe

Name:  AVAST_referral_problem.png
Views: 1023
Size:  13.6 KB

I used the AVAST removal ultility, and even went to the length of checking my system with it's System Files Checker, but Avast antivirus still doesn't work with a clean install. I only see the above pop-up!

Thumbs down Panda Free Antivirus 2016 cripples my Windows system during use and freezing shutdown

So I tried Panda Free Antivirus 2016 after reading it's raving reviews from PC Magazine. Panda's interface worked without locking me out like what Avira and Avast did, but it crippled my machine, slowing it's use, or permanently freezing it. This would happen between 5 to 10 minutes of using my computer. I would have to press and hold the power switch to restart my computer.

After a few times of the above problem, some Windows 7 emergency restore kicked in automatically stating it will restore my system to a previous point, which might erase any currently install programs. After it done this, which removed the Panda antivirus, my system now operates normally.

Seems like the current batch of free antivirus programs this year are all defective. I know, why am I wasting my time with junk.

Re: Panda Free Antivirus 2016 cripples my Windows system during use and freezing shut

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    So I tried Panda Free Antivirus 2016 after reading it's raving reviews from PC Magazine. Panda's interface worked without locking me out like what Avira and Avast did, but it crippled my machine, slowing it's use, or permanently freezing it. This would happen between 5 to 10 minutes of using my computer. I would have to press and hold the power switch to restart my computer.

After a few times of the above problem, some Windows 7 emergency restore kicked in automatically stating it will restore my system to a previous point, which might erase any currently install programs. After it done this, which removed the Panda antivirus, my system now operates normally.

Seems like the current batch of free antivirus programs this year are all defective. I know, why am I wasting my time with junk.
    When was the last time you did a clean install of Win7?
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Re: What antivirus software do you use? Problems with Avira, Avast 2015, and Panda 20

I am using BitDefender...Try this antivirus. You wont get any problem.

Re: What antivirus software do you use? Problems with Avira, Avast 2015, and Panda 20

I use MSE in combination with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and some common sense... Not to go to naughty sites on the Internet, not to open attachments from unknown senders, not to run exe attachments before scanning it for virus...
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Re: Panda Free Antivirus 2016 cripples my Windows system during use and freezing shut

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    When was the last time you did a clean install of Win7?
    This past weekend, August 30th.

All is good now!