Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [VB6] Direct3D9.

PowerPoster

[VB6] Direct3D9.

Hello everyone.
    In the archive contains a type library "DirectX 9 for Visual Basic 6.0 type library by The trick" (dx9vb.tlb) contains a description of the following interfaces:
    • IDirect3D9;
    • IDirect3DDevice9;
    • IDirect3DSurface9;
    • IDirect3DResource9;
    • IDirect3DSwapChain9;
    • IDirect3DTexture9;
    • IDirect3DBaseTexture9;
    • IDirect3DVolumeTexture9;
    • IDirect3DVolume9;
    • IDirect3DCubeTexture9;
    • IDirect3DVertexBuffer9;
    • IDirect3DIndexBuffer9;
    • IDirect3DStateBlock9;
    • IDirect3DVertexDeclaration9;
    • IDirect3DVertexShader9;
    • IDirect3DPixelShader9;
    • IDirect3DQuery9.

Also in the library declared many types, constants and enumerations. The work of this library tested poorly, so something may not work. Also in the archive includes several modules written in VB6:
    • D3DX_COLOR.bas - for work with colors;
    • D3DX_MATRICES.bas - for work with matrices;
    • D3DX_QUATERNION.bas - for work with quaternions;
    • D3DX_VECTOR2.bas, D3DX_VECTOR3.bas, D3DX_VECTOR4.bas - for work with vectors;
    • D3DX_MISC.bas - other functions.

These modules include analogs of the respective functions D3DX. Also in the archive contains several test examples.

GitHub link

08.24.2015. added drawing text example.

09.17.2015. added 3D form example.

02.27.2016. Fixed bug in D3DXMatrixTranspose function. Changed type of pointers to Any in methods IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexShader, IDirect3DDevice9::CreatePixelShader, IDirect3DDevice9::SetPixelShaderConstantB, IDirect3DDevice9::SetPixelShaderConstantI, IDirect3DDevice9::SetPixelShaderConstantF, IDirect3DDevice9::SetVertexShaderConstantB, IDirect3DDevice9::SetVertexShaderConstantI, IDirect3DDevice9::SetVertexShaderConstantF

05.06.2018. added simple scene example (camera, procedural generation, mouse picking, basic transformations); "laser lines" example, rendering in different thread example. Fixed bug in functions: D3DXMatrixTranspose, D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion, D3DXVec2Length;
    Changed function prototype for D3DXPlaneIntersectLine, error raising has been changed to return value;
    Changed behavior of function D3DXQuaternionToAxisAngle, now it accepts non-normalized quaternions;

Frenzied Member

Re: [VB6] Direct3D9.

Have you something to draw text?
    I would like to see any implementation..so maybe I put dx9 in M2000 Environment...some day...(Can we make controls with dx9??)

PowerPoster

For drawing text you can use standard GDI functions. Usually uses special texture which contain a symbols. When you desire to draw some string you create a quads which represent each symbol with texture coordinates. Of course you can create this table dynamically using DrawText, GetTextExtentPoint32 etc.
    I add example work with text, download again it. In the example i use fixed simplest table using only digit and letter:

If you want create 3D-text look like this:

Then you should use GetGlyphOutline function in order to obtain a shape of each symbols and extrude mesh from it.

This is some really nice work. I think I will be using some of this! Thanks for the efforts!

I have downloaded the file, but I can not find the file "clsTrickSubclass2.cls"
    so, where can I find these files?
    Name:  not found.jpg
Views: 5010
Size:  28.7 KB

Thanks for your help.

Fanatic Member

Thanks for this very interesting post.

Now just quickly browsing through the bas modules, there is an error (typo most probably) in the module : D3DX_VECTOR2.bas

This function is not quite right :

Code:
    Public Function D3DXVec2Length(pV As D3DVECTOR2) As Single

D3DXVec2Length = Sqr(pV.X * pV.X + pV.Y + pV.Y)

End Function

Hyperactive Member

Hi Thread Starter
    I have found two open source as you do
    http://roardx9.codeplex.com/
    http://www.vbgood.com/thread-80529-1-1.html

PowerPoster

I definitely recommend against Roar - as it's adds a wrapper DLL, instead of calling the API directly.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by The trick View Post
    I tried to do the independent source therefore the most part of this project is the standard modules with the sources of some D3DX functions. You don't need of an additional dependencies after compilation. I also didn't use any D3DX additional library.
    The best approach

Frenzied Member

Your typelib has no sound based interfaces. How do I use dx9 to output and input audio?

Frenzied Member

Or how about create a single complete typelib for DX9, that has sound and graphics related interfaces? It appears your typelib is really all about graphics (maybe that's all you care about, but it's not complete). A good typelib for DX9 would do for DX9 what the official MS DX8 and 7 typelibs did, and that is have interfaces for sound AND interfaces for graphics. I assume that DX9 does have sound-based interfaces.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    Or how about create a single complete typelib for DX9, that has sound and graphics related interfaces? It appears your typelib is really all about graphics (maybe that's all you care about, but it's not complete). A good typelib for DX9 would do for DX9 what the official MS DX8 and 7 typelibs did, and that is have interfaces for sound AND interfaces for graphics. I assume that DX9 does have sound-based interfaces.
    The last of DirectSound is DirectSound8 shown there. DirectSound9 doesn't exist.

PowerPoster

The last of DirectSound is DirectSound8 shown there. DirectSound9 doesn't exist.
    DirectSound for DirectX9 uses all the same DirectSound8 Interface definitions, plus some bugfixes. (So yeah DirectSound9 doesn't exist)

The Idiot

im trying to understand how this work and to be able to change my GDI code project to DirectX9 code using "similar" functions that do the same job.
    but to do that, i need to know how this works. the samples have lots of 3D effects while what I need is to load images with alphasetting (png), render those images on a surface and thats it.
    so my question is, what do i need to do to just:

- Load multiple PNG images (using array)
    - Render any or all of the images on a form, where I can choose x,y,width,height.
    - Cls the form (similar to FillRect+Brush) so that I can make a animation/loop
    - Render a image mirrored (in GDI you can simply make source width/height negative)

PowerPoster

baka, it's better to use Direct2D for 2d graphics. Of course you can use Direct3D for 2d graphics too.
    For loading a PNG image you can use any code that gets pixels data. Then you should create a texture, lock it in the memory, copy the pixels data there and unlock texture (look the sources where i use textures).
    For rendering on a form, you need to create a quad that represents the rendering surface. Then you need specify the texture coordinates to the quad's vertex (look text rendering source).
    Cls - it just Clear method of IDirect3DDevice9 interface.
    For mirroring you can use many ways, you can just change view matrix, or transform matrix.

PowerPoster

Update.

The new examples:
    1. Added simple scene example (camera, procedural generation, mouse picking, basic transformations);
    2. Added "laser lines" example;
    3. Added rendering in different thread example.

Fixed bugs in the functions:
    1. D3DXMatrixTranspose;
    2. D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion;
    3. D3DXVec2Length.

Changes:
    1. Changed function prototype for D3DXPlaneIntersectLine, error raising has been changed to return value;
    2. Changed behavior of function D3DXQuaternionToAxisAngle, now it accepts non-normalized quaternions;

Enjoy!

@Trick: The SimpleScene demo is TOTALLY cool. I'll possibly plod along with DX8 for a bit, but you've made the jump to DX9 quite trivial. I can't thank you enough for doing this.

All The Best Wishes To You,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Just for others, Trick has included all three of Rotate, Zoom, & Pan for the camera. The Pan is on the middle-mouse button. Because I've got my middle button programmed for something else, I made the following small change to his code in the SimpleScene demo (the frmMain).

In the picViewport_MouseMove event, I did the following...

Code:

' from

ElseIf Button = vbMiddleButton Then

' to

ElseIf Button = vbLeftButton + vbRightButton Then ' Holding both buttons down.

This allowed me to hold both left-and-right buttons down to get to the pan features.

Trick, again, this is fabulous stuff.

EDIT2: Actually, after further reflection (and testing), I changed the entire event to the following:

Code:

Private Sub picViewport_MouseMove( _
                ByRef Button As Integer, _
                ByRef Shift As Integer, _
                ByRef X As Single, _
                ByRef Y As Single)
        Static fOx  As Single
        Static fOy  As Single

Select Case meCurrentMode
        Case MM_CREATION

' // Creation stages
            Select Case tObjectCreation.eObject
            Case MM_CREATE_SPHERE
                CreatingSphere X, Y
            Case MM_CREATE_CONE
                CreatingCone X, Y
            Case MM_CREATE_BOX
                CreatingBox X, Y
            End Select

Case Else

' // Camera movement
            If Button = vbLeftButton Then

mcScene.Camera.RotateRel vec3(-(Y - fOy) / 100, -(X - fOx) / 100, 0)
                Render

ElseIf Button = vbRightButton Then

mcScene.Camera.Zoom -(fOy - Y) / 10
                Render

ElseIf (Button = vbLeftButton + vbRightButton) Or Button = vbMiddleButton Then

mcScene.Camera.Pan -(X - fOx) / 10, (Y - fOy) / 10
                Render

End If

End Select

fOx = X: fOy = Y

End Sub

From Trick's original code, this swaps vbLeftButton and vbRightButton. And it also "add" the (Button = vbLeftButton + vbRightButton) to the pan rather than just replacing vbMiddleButton.

This is the way Vicon Nexus works, which is somewhat an industry standard in displaying mocap data.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; May 7th, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Hi again, Trick.

Hey, I've got yet another request. However, if you don't already have this, just forget it. You've already done WAY too much for me, and I absolutely love your SimpleScene demo. I've been working with it all day long.

Ok, here's the request. Do you have a class that's similar to the older cd3dFrame.cls class? In the SimpleScene demo, you give us that CScene.cls, and it does handle "children", but it's not really set up to be nested any further than that. In my situation, I'll be cascading "objects" such that each object defines a local-coordinate-system for all its children. That way, I can do rotations and translations relative to the parent (rather than the "scene") (like reverse kinematics).

Again, if you don't have it lying around, please, no worries. I'll develop it on my own.

Also, just another FYI, I noticed that you've got three procedures that deal with Euler angles:
    • modMain.MatrixToEuler
    • D3DX_MATRICES.D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll
    • D3DX_QUATERNION.D3DXQuaternionRotationYawPitchRoll

As I'm sure you know, anytime you convert Euler angles to a quaternion (or a transformation matrix), you've got to deal with the X,Y,Z order (and pick one, or let the user specify the order). I haven't studied your code well enough to know which order you picked, but I'll need to allow the user to specify which order they'd like.

Also, as I'm sure you know, when dealing with Euler angles, we must be careful or we might wind up in a gimbal lock situation.

I'll probably rewrite those procedures, allowing for the specification of a Euler order. I'll post them when I get it done.

Again THANK YOU!

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Hi Elroy,
    If you want transform an object relative a parent object you just need to combine the two transformation matrix (like i did pivot point, just think about it like parent object and you can make arbitrary number of the chains). Just multiply the transformation to the parent transformation matrix.

Also, just another FYI, I noticed that you've got three procedures that deal with Euler angles:
    They work like original DirectX functions.
    The order of transformations is roll first, then pitch, then yaw.

Hi Trick,

Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm slowly coming to grips with this stuff. It's just a lot of new stuff to learn, not really having swam in the "deep end" of DX stuff before. I'll get there though. And yeah, I saw how you handled the pivot point.

I'm actually now working on another small problem. I'd like to place a small "World" coordinate system "indicator" up in the top-left corner of my window. I'll get it worked out, but I'll outline the problem to you anyway. Let me start with a little video from some other software to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Video Here

It's those three Red,Green,Blue lines (I'm creating three meshes for them). In that software, it's in lower-left, but I like upper-left better as it's more out-of-the-way. Basically, it doesn't scale or pan, but it does rotate. The way I'm approaching the problem is to add functionality to the Camera Class. I've already got a new procedure in it named ViewMatrixFixedDist(nDistance As Single) As D3DMATRIX. Using that for my D3DTS_VIEW matrix of this little coordinate system indicator solves the no-scale problem. If I grab the camera's target position, I can solve the no-pan problem. However, I'm still working on moving it up to the corner. All I know to do is to use the camera's rotation to un-rotate the line-meshes, translate to the corner, and then re-rotate the lines-meshes. And the reason I can't just do it once, is because I want to be able to resize the screen (Viewport). I've already got the resizing working nicely.

Also, when dealing only with rotations, I'm more used to thinking in terms of quaternions, rather than transformation matrices. Therefore, I put together this little function:

Code:

Public Sub D3DXVec3ByQuatMultiply(pOut As D3DVECTOR, _
                                      pV As D3DVECTOR, _
                                      pQ As D3DQUATERNION)
        pOut.X = (1! - (pQ.Y * pQ.Y * 2! + pQ.Z * pQ.Z * 2!)) * pV.X + (pQ.X * pQ.Y * 2! - pQ.w * pQ.Z * 2!) * pV.Y + (pQ.X * pQ.Z * 2! + pQ.w * pQ.Y * 2!) * pV.Z
        pOut.Y = (pQ.X * pQ.Y * 2! + pQ.w * pQ.Z * 2!) * pV.X + (1! - (pQ.X * pQ.X * 2! + pQ.Z * pQ.Z * 2!)) * pV.Y + (pQ.Y * pQ.Z * 2! - pQ.w * pQ.X * 2!) * pV.Z
        pOut.Z = (pQ.X * pQ.Z * 2! - pQ.w * pQ.Y * 2!) * pV.X + (pQ.Y * pQ.Z * 2! + pQ.w * pQ.X * 2!) * pV.Y + (1! - (pQ.X * pQ.X * 2! + pQ.Y * pQ.Y * 2!)) * pV.Z
    End Sub

I put it in your D3DX_VECTOR3 module.

Also, I prefer to write these things as functions, so here's my version of it:

Code:

Public Function DxVectorByQuatMultiply(uV As D3DVECTOR, uQ As D3DQUATERNION) As D3DVECTOR
        'DxVectorByQuatMultiply.X = (1! - (uQ.Y * uQ.Y * 2! + uQ.Z * uQ.Z * 2!)) * uV.X +       (uQ.X * uQ.Y * 2! - uQ.s * uQ.Z * 2!)  * uV.Y +       (uQ.X * uQ.Z * 2! + uQ.s * uQ.Y * 2!)  * uV.Z
        'DxVectorByQuatMultiply.Y =       (uQ.X * uQ.Y * 2! + uQ.s * uQ.Z * 2!)  * uV.X + (1! - (uQ.X * uQ.X * 2! + uQ.Z * uQ.Z * 2!)) * uV.Y +       (uQ.Y * uQ.Z * 2! - uQ.s * uQ.X * 2!)  * uV.Z
        'DxVectorByQuatMultiply.Z =       (uQ.X * uQ.Z * 2! - uQ.s * uQ.Y * 2!)  * uV.X +       (uQ.Y * uQ.Z * 2! + uQ.s * uQ.X * 2!)  * uV.Y + (1! - (uQ.X * uQ.X * 2! + uQ.Y * uQ.Y * 2!)) * uV.Z
        '
        DxVectorByQuatMultiply.X = (1! - (uQ.Y * uQ.Y * 2! + uQ.Z * uQ.Z * 2!)) * uV.X + (uQ.X * uQ.Y * 2! - uQ.w * uQ.Z * 2!) * uV.Y + (uQ.X * uQ.Z * 2! + uQ.w * uQ.Y * 2!) * uV.Z
        DxVectorByQuatMultiply.Y = (uQ.X * uQ.Y * 2! + uQ.w * uQ.Z * 2!) * uV.X + (1! - (uQ.X * uQ.X * 2! + uQ.Z * uQ.Z * 2!)) * uV.Y + (uQ.Y * uQ.Z * 2! - uQ.w * uQ.X * 2!) * uV.Z
        DxVectorByQuatMultiply.Z = (uQ.X * uQ.Z * 2! - uQ.w * uQ.Y * 2!) * uV.X + (uQ.Y * uQ.Z * 2! + uQ.w * uQ.X * 2!) * uV.Y + (1! - (uQ.X * uQ.X * 2! + uQ.Y * uQ.Y * 2!)) * uV.Z
    End Function

All The Best,
    Elroy

WOW, this stuff gets complicated. I managed to get my three little Red,Green,Blue sticks translated up into the top-left corner. However, the camera is now looking "over" at them. I need them rendered as if the camera that "sees the sticks" is normal (orthogonal) to the screen (possibly a second camera, but that sounds like over-kill). I'll get it sorted. I'm just publicly moaning at the complexity of this stuff. And I need to get my head around the secrets embedded in the D3DTS_VIEW, D3DTS_PROJECTION, and D3DTS_WORLD settings.

Ahhh, I figured it out. It finally dawned on me that this was like a post-render translation. Therefore, I translated the D3DTS_PROJECTION matrix, and voila, I got what I wanted. Of course, I put it back before rendering everything else.
    Last edited by Elroy; May 14th, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

Dear friends,
    I'm writing a 3D program in VB6 with DirectX9 based on The trick's samples.
    But at certain zooms and perspectives, the mesh that I made looks broken (intermittent) also look jagged at collision of 2 planes

Name:  Broken_jagged_edges.jpg
Views: 3618
Size:  27.8 KB

I need help, what causes this to happen and how to deal with it?

thank you

Thanks The trick.. it solved by adjust the z near and z far :
    D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH tMtx, PI / 4, tRC.Right / tRC.Bottom, 50, 100000
    This is because the size of my mesh object is very large

Hello everyone, especially The trick, I found a new problem, when I use :

m_Direct3DDevice8.SetRenderState D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA
    m_Direct3DDevice8.SetRenderState D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA
    m_Direct3DDevice8.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, True

DirectX doesn't drawn the alpha correctly.

I really need help, what is the solution to this problem?
    All suggestions are highly appreciated.

I attach the picture :

Name:  DirectX9 Alpha bug.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  45.0 KB

Thanks.

Hi @The trick.. thanks for the reply
    Disable the D3DRS_ZENABLE is resolves the alpha problem, but it will cause a new problem,
    where the object that should look in front, it will be blocked with the other behind objects (in several perspectives)
    Microsoft says that we should render it from front to back,
    But it's almost impossible to re-create buffers every time I have to render, those trees are stored in a large enough vertexbuffer with the indices, say.. 300k-500k faces or more, and the position of each tree added randomly

If I am wrong in interpreting the 'right way' to process the data buffer, please correct me and please teach me the how it should be.

Thanks

Lively Member

It's called z-fighting issue. You can for example move the near plane away from camera to avoid that.
    Hi @the Trick, i am begginer, you know or can make a GraphicsLibary Pure VB6 open-source like Aforge?
    the base of library with cornersDetectors, EdgeDEtectors, Thereshould, some scientifc algorithms, and next, add more features?
    the algorithms of geometry in VB6 is more easy found in web, but the base of library not.
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by xman2000 View Post
    Hi @the Trick, i am begginer, you know or can make a GraphicsLibary Pure VB6 open-source like Aforge?
    the base of library with cornersDetectors, EdgeDEtectors, Thereshould, some scientifc algorithms, and next, add more features?
    the algorithms of geometry in VB6 is more easy found in web, but the base of library not.
    cheers!
    This is basically a duplicate of this post.

Xman, I don't understand why you feel the need to hijack other off-topic threads. I think you'd have a much better response if you just started your own thread with an outline of your question over in the normal VB6 Q&A section.

Name:  NewThread.png
Views: 3204
Size:  5.7 KB
    Last edited by Elroy; Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Lively Member

Hi, TheTrick

is awesome this 3D9 libary, you like make this entire in VB6 ? why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast