Thread: Windows 10 Dilemma

Windows 10 Dilemma

OK so after warning her not to my wife tried to install Windows 10 on her laptop, Toshiba Satellite L55-A running Windows 8.1. Now when her laptop boots up the desktop sits there and just flashes. I have tried a couple of fixes but no go yet, removing Norton and Disabling Reporting Services were 2. The other is to update the Graphics card. The only way to do anything is in Safe Mode, if I boot in Safe Mode with Networking and go into Device Manager and choose to upgrade the graphic Driver will it know where and what to look for on the web?
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

Re: Windows 10 Dilemma

Windows 10 does a pretty good job of installing required drivers automatically. That relies on the authors notifying Microsoft of the existence of those drivers though. If your video driver wasn't updated on installation then I doubt it will happen automatically after the fact. It won't hurt to try but I doubt it will happen. I would suggest that you should find out what the video card is and search for the latest driver yourself. If there is a Windows 10-compliant driver available though, I'd be surprised if it hadn't been registered with Microsoft.

Thanks, I think in Device Manager it was just labeled Basic MS Graphics card. She decided to to do a clean re-install and it took. Unfortunately now she needs to add all her software back in that she is using for her school work.
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

I've upgraded my Surface 3 but, after an upgrade to Test, I've done a clean install on my laptop and plan to do a clean install on my desktop too. I think that that is usually the better option to get a system running at peak condition when loading a new OS.

Hyperactive Member

Have you tried installing the 8.1 driver from toshiba's website? I'm pretty sure Win 8, 8.1, and 10 all use the same drivers, even if they dont it'll give windows a basis to start a search for an newer driver.

Im not sure if this page is for your exact model, but you can do a search for your serial number from the page for your drivers
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...ext=1200005653
    If your question is answered then mark your thread RESOLVED and give credit to whoever answered it.

If you fail, try and try again, its the only way to success.

Sinecure devotee

chris1990, why did you post in this oldish thread? The issue was resolved in post #3 (a clean install of Win10), so no need to look for drivers now.
    The thread probably should have been marked Resolved to help avoid moot posts though.