dcsimg

Thread: Looping Code, Save time

Arrow Looping Code, Save time

Hi all.
    So here the deal.
    I I making a program to monitor the connection state to 54 servers.
    The code works perfect but it's rediculously long and if I want to alter it at any point. I have to change it 54 times!

Can someone assist me in looping the script so it does one block of code 54 times (or 55 if we get another server etc)

here are the first two blocks

Code:
            Label1.Text = "Checking Store 01: 1st attempt (1000ms)"
            ProgressBar1.Value = 1
            If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.1.1", 1000) Then
                If p01.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 01, connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                p01.BackColor = Color.Lime
                t01.BackColor = Color.Lime
            Else
                Label1.Text = "Checking Store 1: 2nd attempt (5000ms)"
                If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.1.1", 5000) Then
                    If p01.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 01, connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                Else
                    Label1.Text = "Checking Store 1: 3rd attempt (10000ms)"
                    If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.1.1", 10000) Then
                    Else
                        If p01.BackColor = Color.Lime Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 01, connection dropped" & Environment.NewLine)
                        p01.BackColor = Color.Red
                        t01.BackColor = Color.Red
                    End If
                End If
            End If

'****************************************************************************************
            Label1.Text = "Checking Store 02: 1st attempt (1000ms)"
            ProgressBar1.Value = 2
            If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.2.1", 1000) Then
                If p02.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 02, connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                p02.BackColor = Color.Lime
                t02.BackColor = Color.Lime
            Else
                Label1.Text = "Checking Store 2: 2nd attempt (5000ms)"
                If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.2.1", 5000) Then
                    If p02.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 02, connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                Else
                    Label1.Text = "Checking Store 2: 3rd attempt (10000ms)"
                    If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168.2.1", 10000) Then
                    Else
                        If p02.BackColor = Color.Lime Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store 02, connection dropped" & Environment.NewLine)
                        p02.BackColor = Color.Red
                        t02.BackColor = Color.Red

End If
                End If
            End If
            '****************************************************************************************

Re: Looping Code, Save time

Trying but I i'm having no joy lol
    Code:
    For value As Integer = 1 To 54
                Dim pb As PictureBox = "p" And value
                Dim tb As TextBox = "t" And Value

I am getting the error that type long cannot be converted....

Code:
                Dim tb As TextBox = "t" And value

Label1.Text = "Checking Store " & value & ": 1st attempt (1000ms)"
                ProgressBar1.Value = value
                If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." & value & ".1", 1000) Then
                    If pb.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                    pb.BackColor = Color.Lime
                    tb.BackColor = Color.Lime
                Else
                    If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." And value And ".1", 5000) Then
                        If pb.BackColor = Color.Red Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                    Else
                        Label1.Text = "Checking Store " And value And ": 3rd attempt (10000ms)"
                        If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." And value And ".1", 10000) Then
                        Else
                            If pb.BackColor = Color.Lime Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection dropped" & Environment.NewLine)
                            pb.BackColor = Color.Red
                            tb.BackColor = Color.Red
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            Next

A few things...
    1) you're name is stephen, right? and you are a human, right (well, you seem human, I suppose you could be anything, we do have a gnome, a dog, a three-eyed frog and a vase of fish here, so maybe we should go with humanoid)... so I couldn't point to you and call you a bicycle now can I? Because you're not a bicycle. But that's what you did with these lines:

you declared a bicycle (Dim pb as PictureBox) and then called it stephen ("p" and Value) ... "p" is a string... so it cannot be a picture box... the fact that it happens to be part of the name of a pic box is irrelevant. The Good news is that every form (and every container for that matter) has a .Controls collection... which does contain all of the controls (directly) on it ... more on that in a moment as there's another issue to sort out.

2) "p" And value -- doesn't do what I think you think it should do. And is a boolean/bit operator... it looks at the bits of the two values, turns them on when there is a match on both sides and off when there's a mismatch... it does not concatenate them together. & is the preferred operand for that. You got that right in a few places through out the code, and used "and" in others...
    Back to the dim statements:
    Dim pb As PictureBox = Me.Controls("p" & value.ToString)
    Dim tb As TextBox = Me.Controls("t" & value.ToString)

NOW we have strings where we need them, properly concatenated, and used to pass to the Control property of the form which will then return the correct PictureBox and Text box.

Note - this wasn't the only place where you used "and" instead of "&"... so you'll need to go through the rest of the code.

WARNING - this will work if the pictureboxes and textboxes are on the form DIRECTLY, if they are contained in a group box, or another container... it may take a bit more finesse to get to them, but it does make a difference.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

very good and amusing answer from tg. only problem i spotted was: "it looks at the bits of the two values, turns them on when there is a match on both sides" that would be XNOR which i am not aware its implemented

so you eliminated a whole bunch of redundant code with that change. great. now some more art of these:

step 2:
    Code:

dim isAlive as boolean=false
                If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." & value & ".1", 1000) Then
                	isalive=true
                Else
                    If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." And value And ".1", 5000) Then
    	            	isalive=true
                    Else
                        If My.Computer.Network.Ping("192.168." And value And ".1", 10000) Then
    		            	isalive=true
                        End If
                    End If
                End If

if isalive then
                else
                        If pb.BackColor = Color.Lime Then Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection dropped" & Environment.NewLine)
                        pb.BackColor = Color.Red
                        tb.BackColor = Color.Red
                end if
            Next
    now you realize that you are concating the ip multiple times:
    Code:

dim sIP as string="192.168." & value & ".1"
                If My.Computer.Network.Ping(sIP, 1000) Then
                	isalive=true
                Else
                    If My.Computer.Network.Ping(sIP, 5000) Then
    	            	isalive=true
                    Else
                        If My.Computer.Network.Ping(sIP, 10000) Then
    		            	isalive=true
                        End If
                    End If
                End If

if isalive then
                else
                        pb.BackColor = Color.Red
                        tb.BackColor = Color.Red
                end if
            Next
    ok but three pings, just because different timeouts?
    Code:

dim msTimeout as int32=1000
                do
                	Label1.Text = string.format("Checking Store {0}: attempt #{1} ({2}ms)",value,(mstimeout\5000)+1,msTimeout)
                	isAlive = My.Computer.Network.Ping(sIP, msTimeout)
                	msTimeout = if(msTimeout=1000, 5000,10000)
                loop until isAlive or msTimeout=10000

if isalive then
                else
                        pb.BackColor = Color.Red
                        tb.BackColor = Color.Red
                end if
            Next
    i must admit, the # attempts for the label.text entry are a bit cryptic. i'd consider droping this and just say "checking store x, yyyy timeout"

ok but you then realize that you do not need the pb before the end of the pings so cleaning up a bit:
    Code:

dim msTimeout as int32=1000
                do
                	Label1.Text = string.format("Checking Store {0}: attempt #{1} ({2}ms)",value,(mstimeout\5000)+1,msTimeout)
                	isAlive = My.Computer.Network.Ping(sIP, msTimeout)
                	msTimeout = if(msTimeout=1000, 5000,10000)
                loop until isAlive or msTimeout=10000

Dim pb As PictureBox = me.controls("p" & value)
                Dim tb As TextBox = me.controls("t" & value)
                if isalive andalso pb.BackColor = Color.Red Then
                	Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection restablished" & Environment.NewLine)
                elseif not isAlive andalso pb.BackColor = Color.Lime Then
                	Log.AppendText(Now.ToString & " :Store " And value And ", connection dropped" & Environment.NewLine)
                end if
                pb.BackColor=if(isAlive,Color.Lime,Color.Red)
                tb.BackColor=pb.BackColor
            Next
    all untested, just typed in here.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalShaman View Post
    very good and amusing answer from tg. only problem i spotted was: "it looks at the bits of the two values, turns them on when there is a match on both sides" that would be XNOR which i am not aware its implemented
    That is correct... I misspoke... it should have read "... turns them one when both sides are true, and turns them off when not..."

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The way that I would go about doing this to setup a method that accepts a string collection as a parameter to represent all of the IP addresses:
    Code:
    Private Sub CheckStore(ByVal ipAddresses() As String)

End Sub
    Then inside of the method, use a For/Each loop to loop through the collection:
    Code:
    For Each ip As String in ipAddresses

Next
    Assuming that each store has a unique IP address(which it probably does) then you could use IndexOf to get the value of your value variable:
    Code:
    Dim value As Integer = Array.IndexOf(ipAddresses, ip) + 1 'Add 1 for 0 based index
    Label1.Text = "Checking Store " & value.ToString() & ": 1st attempt (1000ms)"
    Then from there it is just a matter of executing your code.