Thread: radiobutton

radiobutton

hello all
    Can anyone please tell me how to uncheck all the radiobuttons by default in vb window form?
    I know the codes through javascript but not through vb. Please help
    Thanks

Re: radiobutton

You don't need any code to uncheck them by default. You simply set the Checked property to False in the designer, which it already is by default anyway. Basically, what you're asking for is the default behavior.

Do you perhaps not actually mean by default but rather unchecking them explicitly after one may have been checked? If so then that could be done like this, assuming that all the RadioButtons have been added to the form directly:
    Code:
    For Each rb In Me.Controls.OfType(Of RadioButton)()
        rb.Checked = False
    Next

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You don't need any code to uncheck them by default. You simply set the Checked property to False in the designer, which it already is by default anyway. Basically, what you're asking for is the default behavior.

Do you perhaps not actually mean by default but rather unchecking them explicitly after one may have been checked? If so then that could be done like this, assuming that all the RadioButtons have been added to the form directly:
    Code:
    For Each rb In Me.Controls.OfType(Of RadioButton)()
        rb.Checked = False
    Next

Thank you so much
    I will try this and get back to you.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi25 View Post
    Thank you so much
    I will try this and get back to you.

Thanks again
    hi
    This method doesnt work.
    i still have a default checked button.
    Is there any other way?

please help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi25 View Post
    hi
    This method doesnt work.
    i still have a default checked button.
    Is there any other way?

please help

Thanks
    Are the RadioButtons all directly on the form? Are they in GroupBoxes or Panels? Are some on the form and some in GroupBoxes/Panels?
    We know nothing of where they are or how your form is set up.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Are the RadioButtons all directly on the form? Are they in GroupBoxes or Panels? Are some on the form and some in GroupBoxes/Panels?
    We know nothing of where they are or how your form is set up.
    radiobuttons are inside a groupbox.
    if i use this code it doesnt enter the loop:

For Each rb As RadioButton In Me.GroupBox1.Controls.OfType(Of RadioButton)()
    rb.CheckedByDefault = False
    Next

Where am i going wrong?

If you mean that a RadioButton is checked when the form is first displayed then there are only two reasons that that would happen:

1. The Checked property of that RadioButton is set to True in the designer.
    2. That RadioButton is the first control in the Tab order for the form.

With regards to #2, a RadioButton becomes checked when it receives focus and the first control in the Tab order gets focus when a form is first displayed. If that's your issue, the solution is generally to change the Tab order of the controls to avoid a RadioButton being first.

If that's not possible for some reason, the code I have already provided is what you would use to uncheck the RadioButton. The important thing is where you put the code. Putting it in the Load event handler is useless because that is executed before the form is displayed. You need to execute the code after the form is displayed, so you'd put it in the Shown event handler.

If you mean that a RadioButton is checked when the form is first displayed then there are only two reasons that that would happen:

1. The Checked property of that RadioButton is set to True in the designer.
    2. That RadioButton is the first control in the Tab order for the form.

With regards to #2, a RadioButton becomes checked when it receives focus and the first control in the Tab order gets focus when a form is first displayed. If that's your issue, the solution is generally to change the Tab order of the controls to avoid a RadioButton being first.

If that's not possible for some reason, the code I have already provided is what you would use to uncheck the RadioButton. The important thing is where you put the code. Putting it in the Load event handler is useless because that is executed before the form is displayed. You need to execute the code after the form is displayed, so you'd put it in the Shown event handler.

Hi
    Can you please tell me exactly how to use this code?
    Shown event handler means like where?
    I have still not succeeded inunchecking it.
    Please help.

Thanks

Handle the Shown event of the form and put the code there. If you don't know how to handle an event then that's probably something you should look into. It's one of the most fundamental things you can do in VB and that's why pretty much every beginners tutorial covers it. If you don't understand the fundamentals then you should take the time to work through such a tutorial. There's a link to one in my signature below.

Handle the Shown event of the form and put the code there. If you don't know how to handle an event then that's probably something you should look into. It's one of the most fundamental things you can do in VB and that's why pretty much every beginners tutorial covers it. If you don't understand the fundamentals then you should take the time to work through such a tutorial. There's a link to one in my signature below.

Private Sub Form1_Shown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) _
    Handles MyBase.Shown
    Try
    For Each rb As RadioButton In Me.GroupBox1.Controls.OfType(Of RadioButton)()
    rb.CheckedByDefault = False
    Next

Catch ex As Exception

End Try
    End Sub

This is where I am with no output.
    Where is it wrong now?