Thread: Switching ISP

PowerPoster

Switching ISP

If I switch to a new ISP do I loose my current email address

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Switching ISP

Typically no. I've switched several times and have always continued to recieve emails from the old address.

I'm actually not sure who officially "owns" the address though. I know that my Sky emails are still served up through Sky, not my current provider. And they've made some slightly worrying noises about shutting it off if I don't log on to their web mail regularly (I think this is just meant to stop automated bots etc abusing their system)
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

That's why I use non-ISP mailboxes. I have my own host through which I manage my emails. Plus Google mail. But by having my own host with mailboxes, means I can create new one-off emails when I need to.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I have a heavenly host. Whenever I get new mail a fanfare of trumpets sounds and a golden light pours forth from my monitor.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I know like with phone numbers you can switch phone carriers and ask to keep your old number but phone numbers are just numbers and they don't show or use a company's name but with email I don't understand how you can have the same email address since they require the company's server names in order to get the mail

For example:

My current ISP is Verizon so my email is jms@verizon.net (not my actual email) so here the company name is part of my email address. Also to get that email using Outlook Express I have to set up the correct server names like this:

incoming: incoming.verison.net
    outgoing: out.verison.net

also I have to use my Verizon user name and password

So if I switch to another ISP, like, TWC or AT&T how then can the other companies use the same names as what I already have since I would think that the server names, user name and password etc are all proprietary to Verizon. I see where I probably only need to keep the jms@verison.net and I will be using the new companies servers etc but doesn't @verizon.net belong to Verizon?

I also have a web site so I use the mail service from there too and I have OE configured to retrieve my mail from there as well as from Verizon.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

I will be using the new companies servers
    No. You'd continue to use the old company's servers. They still serve up your emails to you, even though you're no longer a customer.

So far I've moved on from CompuServe, BT, Virgin and Sky. They all continued to serve up my emails even though I was no longer a customer. I think they probably have the right to cut you off (not sure though) but typically they just let you roll on.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    No. You'd continue to use the old company's servers. They still serve up your emails to you, even though you're no longer a customer.
    Umm, here is where I see a problem. Since I am moving to another ISP because Verizon has blocked all of my email coming from a particular source and they refuse to unlock it wouldn't Verizon continue to block my email even though I am now at a different ISP

So far I've moved on from CompuServe, BT, Virgin and Sky. They all continued to serve up my emails even though I was no longer a customer. I think they probably have the right to cut you off (not sure though) but typically they just let you roll on.

Either you've gotten lucky, or it's different where you are... but typically once you're no longer with an ISP, your login and pwd no longer works... usually.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Since I am moving to another ISP because Verizon has blocked all of my email coming from a particular source and they refuse to unlock it wouldn't Verizon continue to block my email even though I am now at a different ISP
    If they're blocking it already I wouldn't expect that to change. In my experience, when you close an account nothing actually changes at all, one way or the other.

Either you've gotten lucky, or it's different where you are... but typically once you're no longer with an ISP, your login and pwd no longer works... usually.
    Really?! it's always seemed to be standard practice when I've moved on. I stop using the old addresses after a while but I've cheerfully allowed them to gradually whither for well over a year without them being actively discontinued. I wonder if this is a US vs UK thing (though I doubt it as some of these companies are international).

When in doubt contact Verizon
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Really?! it's always seemed to be standard practice when I've moved on. I stop using the old addresses after a while but I've cheerfully allowed them to gradually whither for well over a year without them being actively discontinued. I wonder if this is a US vs UK thing (though I doubt it as some of these companies are international).
    So, you buy a service, get an e-mail account, then cancel the service. Free e-mail hosting?

I think they just forgot to delete your account...but you are right that there may be a UK regulation that they have to serve your e-mail for a certain period of time after you are not a customer.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

And if you Google this situation you'll see where people had their email account closed and all mail cleaned out and then an OOOOPS from Verizon - "we goofed" too bad so sad.

PowerPoster

That's what I'm afraid of. I guess I'll have to make sure all my contacts that use my current Verizon email get updated to one of ny static email accounts before I cancel Verizon

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

And yet when one gets transferred from one prison to another, one's criminal record remains intact!
    I don't live here any more.