Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 IDE Mousewheel Windows 10.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 IDE Mousewheel Windows 10.

Until recently I have been using Wheeler with great success. However, under Win10 (release) it no longer works after a reboot/start. You have to stop the service and reinstall. I have tried all the mousewheel tools at my disposal inc;

VB6IDEMousewheel addin (No longer shows in Addin Manager)
    VBScroll
    VB6ScrollwheelFix 7

None work. Anyone have any ideas about a solution?

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 IDE Mousewheel Windows 10.

This is always a pain... right up until you find something that works and then you get that "works for me, what's the big deal?" attitude.

Then it breaks and you are all alone with everyone else snubbing you.

I don't know of any fix that works for everybody all of the time. I've had systems where VB6ScrollwheelFix works just fine, others where it worked for years and then something broke it and I couldn't get it working again.

On those systems I have fallen back on X-Mouse Button Control which allows you to tailor mouse button and scrollwheel action program by program in addition to global defaults. This has been updated for Windows 10 and might be an option that would work for you.

Sadly it has a confusing configuration user interface, but I'm sure you'll work it out.

I usually add a profile for VB6.EXE and change Scroll Method under Advanced Window Scrolling to Method 1 (SCROLL Msg) and that should work for you.

Fanatic Member

Many thanks Dil, that was exactly what the doctor ordered.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 IDE Mousewheel Windows 10.

Glad it helped.

You know though, this is something Microsoft could have directly addressed a long time ago in a VB6 Service Pack. For that matter they could get off their couch and deal with a ton of these little issues in a new SP7. Of course they won't, even though we aren't asking for new features or anything, just patching up a hatful of small flaws here and there that they have known about for a decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    This is always a pain... right up until you find something that works and then you get that "works for me, what's the big deal?" attitude.

Then it breaks and you are all alone with everyone else snubbing you.

I don't know of any fix that works for everybody all of the time. I've had systems where VB6ScrollwheelFix works just fine, others where it worked for years and then something broke it and I couldn't get it working again.

On those systems I have fallen back on X-Mouse Button Control which allows you to tailor mouse button and scrollwheel action program by program in addition to global defaults. This has been updated for Windows 10 and might be an option that would work for you.

Sadly it has a confusing configuration user interface, but I'm sure you'll work it out.

I usually add a profile for VB6.EXE and change Scroll Method under Advanced Window Scrolling to Method 1 (SCROLL Msg) and that should work for you.
    I, too, lost the ability to scroll in code windows under Windows 10. So I installed XMBC. I set up a new profile, clicked Find Window, then clicked one of my code windows.
    I set Wheel Up to Scroll Window Up and Wheel Down to Scroll Window Down, then in Scrolling and Navigation, as you suggested, I set Scroll Method to Method 1 (Scroll Msg), changing Vertical Lines to 3.
    Sadly, nothing's changed. I still can't scroll in VB6. I've tried all the various Scroll Methods now and nothing seems to work. As far as you can tell, am I setting this up correctly?
    Thanks much. What a hassle.

PowerPoster

I leave Wheel Up and Wheel Down and everything else at default. Then I set Scroll Method to Method 1, Vertical Lines to 15. I don't change anything else.

I leave Wheel Up and Wheel Down and everything else at default. Then I set Scroll Method to Method 1, Vertical Lines to 15. I don't change anything else.
    Thanks much. I may give that a try.

Lively Member

In my case VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll works ok in VB6 in Windows 10 Pro. My mouse is EVO ADVANCED WIRELESS LASER MOUSE. Perhaps, it depends on the mouse.

Just an update: VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll didn't work. Using the REG file supplied didn't do anything as the add in just didn't show up. Opening the source code project threw an error about Connect.dsr not found - this file is missing from the installation and the project could not be built.

So searched on the net, found this thread, downloaded XMBC and followed dilettante's recommendations - happy to say the scrolling is back!
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Dilettante's recommended X-Mouse Button Control is the only one I've ever found that correctly scrolls a VB6 code window that you have split-into-two-sections, which I find myself doing often. It's a truly nice solution (and through the years, I've tried them all at one time or another).
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Thank you dilettante for the help. It works like a charm and it also was a tool I was looking for in the past but failed to found.

Resolved Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 IDE Mousewheel Windows 10.

HoneyBee, the reg file is for VBA only. And you must register the .dll or compile directly in IDE and it will be registered automatically.

I know the thread is old, but I personally fixed it by following the steps on Microsoft's site:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...ts-do-not-work

I advise downloading VB6MouseWheel.exe, and adding those instructions to a readme.

I'm using Windows 10 x64, working in 2022

Also the old jjbot add-on was updated by himself in 2021.
    There is a link to Github:

https://github.com/jjbott/VB6ScrollWheelFix
    Last edited by FrannDzs; May 25th, 2022 at 03:53 AM.

So here I am in 2022 and I find myself back to my roots and wading through some very old VB 6 code I have to manage. The lack of scrolling was driving me nuts on Windows Server 2019. Your advice was perfect and I have scrollage once again

Frenzied Member

I know this thread is 'resolved' but I thought I'd just add this to the list as I didn't see it mentioned.

The scroll was an issue for me as well on my Windows 10 Pro system.

VB6ScrollwheelFix.exe didn't work for me UNTIL I discovered that starting it as 'Run as Administrator' did the trick.

So every time I start up VB6 on my machine, I just right-click the VBScrollwheelFix icon and select 'Run as Administrator' and it works like a charm.

If I don't use 'Run as...' it does nothing.

:-)

Glad it helped.

You know though, this is something Microsoft could have directly addressed a long time ago in a VB6 Service Pack.
    They are trying to choke off VB6, and they don't want to do anything that might encourage further use.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grant View Post
    Until recently I have been using Wheeler with great success. However, under Win10 (release) it no longer works after a reboot/start. You have to stop the service and reinstall. I have tried all the mousewheel tools at my disposal inc;

VB6IDEMousewheel addin (No longer shows in Addin Manager)
    VBScroll
    VB6ScrollwheelFix 7

None work. Anyone have any ideas about a solution?
    I'm using Windows 11 latest upgrades.

CoPilot has gotten really good at this stuff. The fix included a suggestion to use Task Manager to get administrative privileges, and moving the DLL from System32, where I had it, into the SysWOW64 folder.

- Move the 32-bit DLL to the %systemroot%\SysWoW64 folder if itÂ’s currently in %systemroot%\System32.
    - Open an elevated command prompt:
    - Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager.
    - In Task Manager, click File > Run new task.
    - Type cmd in the Open field and check the Create this task with administrative privileges box.
    - Click OK and follow any User Account Control prompts.
    - Run the following command:
    %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32 %systemroot%\SysWoW64\VB6IDEMouseWheelAddin.dll

And voila, mouse wheel is operable in the VB6 IDE

Note: Before contacting CoPilot, and after I had tried numerous attempts at some variation of opening cmd from Run or from the Menu using Run as Administrator, and trying the sysWow64\regsvr32 without having moved the DLL to the sysWOW64 folder, I decided to try installing the VBA Mouse Wheel Fix.reg into the registry. I don't know if doing that facilitated the success with doing the steps above.

vb6mousewheel.exe unzips the DLL, reg file, and vbp DLL project, which in and of itself is a thing of beauty, though unnecessary to instantiate the wheel to to the IDE. Attached VB6_IDE_MouseWheel.7z containing vb6mousewheel.exe and its contents.
    Attached Files Attached Files