Thread: Socket Module Needed

Fanatic Member

Socket Module Needed

Hi Guys,

I am looking for someone to help me out with an Asynchronous Socket module... Is anyone willing to help for a beer money budget?

Basically I need a module I can plug into my software that I can call to say "create socket" and "send to that socket", in the meantime it needs to listen asynchronously. I have a basic means of this working, but I know the problem is that the app cannot tell the socket is closed etc, so it needs to accomodate this...

If anyone is willing to help please let me know and name your price, bearing in mind the beer money budget
    "Wisdom is only truly achieved, when you realise you dont know everything" ... I must be a genius because I always have to ask stupid questions...

Pointing an idiot like me in the right direction, is always appreciated by the idiot, explaining how to do what you have pointed the idiot to, is appreciated even more. I apologise to all experienced coders who will think I am an idiot, you are right, I am an idiot, but I am an idiot who is trying to learn

Fanatic Member

Re: Socket Module Needed

Hi All,

I appreciate this thread has been viewed 150 times, but no replies... Out of curiosity, is that because I am offering payment of Beer Money quantity, or is that just a lack of interest / experience in sockets as I am looking to use the module as?
    "Wisdom is only truly achieved, when you realise you dont know everything" ... I must be a genius because I always have to ask stupid questions...

Pointing an idiot like me in the right direction, is always appreciated by the idiot, explaining how to do what you have pointed the idiot to, is appreciated even more. I apologise to all experienced coders who will think I am an idiot, you are right, I am an idiot, but I am an idiot who is trying to learn

I'm almost always willing to do a job especially if the money matches the task. My issue is not with the money but with the topic. I do not know enough about working with sockets... The one time that I tried, I got so frustrated that I gave up.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Fanatic Member

Thanks dday, I appreciate that.

I just want to clarify, I am not criticising anyone for not replying, I was just merely trying to understand (having not tried to hire a dev before) if "beer money" was basically an offensive offer to make to a dev!

I must admit though, if It wasn't for the fact its essential to my project, I would have given up by now!

Fanatic Member

Just to say, I still need help with this, so if anyone is still interested and feels comfortable with the task, it would be greatly appreciated

Frenzied Member

i am a sucker for a good problem...

we should talk after the new year...

PM me

What kind of module? A DLL? Or a class in a specific language? If so, what language?
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    What kind of module? A DLL? Or a class in a specific language? If so, what language?
    I have not yet gotten as far as to understanding a DLL incorporation, I have been working with classes in vb.net 2010.

I enclose a sample of what I currently use.

Ideally, I would want to run the following logic: (SockMod is Socket Module, and however you desire to write it).

>App takes string of data, sends to SockMod
    >SockMod checks "is connection open already?" if Yes - then send data down the socket, if No then create a new Socket.
    >SockMod returns a data value to my app, which my app can read in (e.g. Response 1). My app uses this data whilst SockMod awaits further reply from the app.
    >SockMod receives further responses and returns those to my app.
    >Other application closes the socket down. SockMod checks to see if the socket is closed, if so, it tells the app through whatever means, the socket is now closed (perhaps a variable in my app can be used).
    >Repeats the above, as socket is closed by other app, it then creates a new socket.

If at all possible, though, not essential - it would be great if SockMod could give the socket a reference for my app. For Example, it could reply to my app and say "Socket <Insert Reference> opened on IP x Port Y", likewise "Socket <Insert Reference> Closed to IP X Port Y"

EDIT: Please forgive the mess of the code!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JayCR; Feb 1st, 2016 at 06:58 AM.

Frenzied Member

i have sent you a PM but am not sure it went through (sent items is shown empty?!). i initially wanted to include the actual code for your problem but this resulted in a message too long for this board. PM me if you have not got my message otherwise contact me by mail (my address in the PM) so that i can send the source.

Frenzied Member

Do you have an update on this? Did the code i sent you work for you?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalShaman View Post
    Do you have an update on this? Did the code i sent you work for you?
    Hi Matey,

Unfortunately I havent had chance as of yet... With a new baby in the house, and work was dead up until two days before you sent the code, Since then I have been thrown from here to there and everywhere in between lol.

I am hoping things settle down soon, as soon as I can get the code plugged in, I will definitely give you a shout! if nothing else, I will owe you beer money if it works! I still have your email so even if I dont touch base on here straight away, I will drop you an email