Thread: [RESOLVED] Find smallest value ListView

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Find smallest value ListView

Hi, all.

I want to find the lowest value in a ListView's subItem. I have been trying with the code below, but it only gives me the last values in the ListView.

Code:
      Dim num As Integer
            num = Me.ListView1.Items.Count - 1
            For x = 0 To num
                Dim smallestNumber As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text)
                If CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text) < smallestNumber Then smallestNumber = CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text)
                lblResult.Text = "Best Match @ " & " Freq: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(0).Text & "Hz " & "SWR: " & smallestNumber.ToString & "  R: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(2).Text & _
                 "  X: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(3).Text & "  Z: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(4).Text
            Next

PowerPoster

Re: Find smallest value ListView

Try this,

move the Dim smallestNumber outside the loop, otherwise your just resetting it every loop

Code:
      Dim num As Integer
            Dim smallestNumber As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(0).SubItems(1).Text)
            For x = 1 To num

If CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text) < smallestNumber Then smallestNumber = CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text)
                lblResult.Text = "Best Match @ " & " Freq: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(0).Text & "Hz " & "SWR: " & smallestNumber.ToString & "  R: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(2).Text & _
                 "  X: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(3).Text & "  Z: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(4).Text
            Next

Hyperactive Member

Hi, thank's.

Yes, that worked. However not for the other subItems they are still the last row values.
    I guess I need to declare them first as well.

PowerPoster

Your only testing SubItem(1)

Hyperactive Member

Yes, but I want the other values at the same row's subItems.

Hyperactive Member

This code only give the first number for the frequency, but it looks for the same value.

Code:
     Dim num As Integer
            Dim smallestNumber As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(0).SubItems(1).Text)
            Dim Freq As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(0).SubItems(0).Text)
            For x = 1 To num

If CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(1).Text) < smallestNumber Then Freq = CDbl(Me.ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(0).Text)

lblResult.Text = "Best Match @ " & " Freq: " & Freq & "Hz " & "SWR: " & smallestNumber.ToString & "  R: " & ListView1.Items(x).SubItems(2).Text & _
            Next

Frenzied Member

Iterate through all the rows in the ListView. keep a record of the smallest value found, and also keep a record of the row that it occurs on.

wes4dbt's code starts off by making the assumption that the first row has the smallest value, so you only need to iterate from the second row (index = 1) looking for smaller values.

When the loop finishes, you will have a record of the row that contains the smallest value. Use that to find your other values.

Update the label only after the loop finishes.

Code:
    Dim filteredRowIndex As Integer = 0
    Dim smallestValue As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(0).SubItems(1).Text)

For rowIndex As Integer = 1 To ListView1.Items.Count - 1
        Dim thisValue As Double = CDbl(ListView1.Items(rowIndex).SubItems(1).Text)
        If thisValue < smallestValue Then
            filteredRowIndex = rowIndex
            smallestValue = thisValue
        End If
    Next

lblResult.Text = String.Format("Best Match @  Freq: {0}Hz  SWR: {1}  R:  {2}  X: {3}  Z: {4}", freq,
                                                                                                   smallestValue,
                                                                                                   ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(2).Text,
                                                                                                   ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(3).Text,
                                                                                                   ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(4).Text)
    If two or more SWR's can have the same minimum value, the code will find the first row that has that minimum value. To find the last row, change If thisValue < smallestValue Then to If thisValue <= smallestValue Then

Hyperactive Member

Thank's
    Worked fine. I needed to change this:

Code:
    lblResult.Text = String.Format("Best Match @  Freq: {0}Hz  SWR: {1}  R:  {2}  X: {3}  Z: {4}", ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(0).Text,
                                                                                                           smallestValue,
                                                                                                           ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(2).Text,
                                                                                                           ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(3).Text,
                                                                                                           ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(4).Text)
    You are right, there is more values which is equal. The best would be to compare with the ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(4).Text), which is the impedance value.
    The value nearest 50 is the best match. Meaning something like:
    When smallestValue=true and ListView1.Items(filteredRowIndex).SubItems(4).Text) = closest to 50 then

thanks for your help.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Find smallest value ListView

wes4dbt's code starts off by making the assumption that the first row has the smallest value, so you only need to iterate from the second row (index = 1) looking for smaller values.
    No I don't, there is just no need to test index 0 because you just assigned it to "smallestNumber". If you tested index 0, you would be testing the same two values.