dcsimg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell?

Re: Farewell?

The people make up the community here and that cant be replicated via most other venues. If some members arent happy with its current state then why not take action to fix it?
    I tried to bring back the contests, and the first one we had a huge participation... but the second one we had one submission

Lots of names have gone away, but lots of interesting characters have also joined up. It seems like Gruff has been around for a long time, as well as DDay, but heck, DDay wasn't even born when this forum started (don't believe any of that nonsense about him being married and having a kid, even if it's true it's because he lives in Louisiana).

What we have lost are some of the marginal personalities. I won't mention any names, because some of them lurk. It would take a fairly old person to remember the, now deleted, immigration thread that once rivaled the post race...except with vitriolic vinegar added. I think I remember who started that, and they haven't been around for a decade, but I may have the name wrong, so I won't say it. Some of those folks started lengthy, and even heated, threads on various subjects. Things are a bit more staid now, and that's not a bad thing for a developer site.

All we need to get things riled up again would be the right instigator. Somebody not just willing to throw out off-the-wall, yet sincere, opinions, but willing to back them up, too.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like work.
    Nawh, work is not work when its something you enjoy, that would then be a hobby
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I tried to bring back the contests, and the first one we had a huge participation... but the second one we had one submission
    You cant be 100% successful all the time. Thats not the definition of a programmer. lol. Maybe it was the topic or content etc. for the second one
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    ...All we need to get things riled up again would be the right instigator. Somebody not just willing to throw out off-the-wall, yet sincere, opinions, but willing to back them up, too.
    So you are suggesting to perform a ritual to raise the banned?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    So you are suggesting to perform a ritual to raise the banned?

When un-dead, go to the source.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That's a pretty cool link. The reviews are a hoot. I didn't peruse them sufficiently to know whether or not anybody called it a good Sumer-time read, or not.

Bring Timeshifter back. He will be sure to start some sh*t
    My usual boring signature: Something

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    If some members aren't happy with its current state then why not take action to fix it?
    Where do I sign up?
    I don't live here any more.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

You cant be 100% successful all the time. Thats not the definition of a programmer. lol. Maybe it was the topic or content etc. for the second one
    Yep i have to say even though i didn't participate in either (i struggle to find the time at the moment) i didn't even know the second one was under way as you stopped posting about it in Chit-chat. Not everyone just has the new posts screen up and so i think if you do decide to try it again then you should definitely add a post advertising it in chit-chat.

Also you subject for your first competition was better, taking a look at the second one i had never heard of that dice game.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

The loss of Battle Programming, alone, would be hard to take. Fortunately, I have a copy on my computer.
    Yes that thread and book alone have given me many hours of unbridled joy and made me happy i became a member.

If VBF participation is declining, and it does seem to be. What is not? The need for information isn't in decline, and the languages on here are certainly common enough. SO can't be picking up everything can it?
    I wonder if the name of the forum is anything to do with it??

VB is not what people are learning anymore at college or university and so when they go looking for a programming site the name doesn't resonate with them which is a shame as this is a great site.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I think I've been here over tens years now...since the beginning most of the answers I have needed come up in searches. Not only here but when using Google. My point is I don't think the number of new posts has a direct relationship to how many people are using the site. I don't post solutions that often because the experts here tend to know the nuts and bolts along with the whys. I'm content to help when I can and enjoy the show.

I'm usually on every workday day several times.

Here is the top of how many viewers there are just at this posting. I call it respectable for a site of this nature:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I see my name!

I see my name!
    As a moderator do you have access to statistics on how many people visit the site daily that you can post? Just something to put some meat on the discussion.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Unfortunately I do not. My job is to basically weed out the (which is a lot!!!) and to move threads. That would be something that Brad or Steve would have.

Unfortunately I do not. My job is to basically weed out the (which is a lot!!!) and to move threads. That would be something that Brad or Steve would have.
    Well, you're not doing your job then... the pill pusher Ed-something or other is really pushing it. 1 post in this thread 3-4posts in another.... spmming his own thread with 2 posts.... sweet jesus momma...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

The Metro forum is pretty hilariously silent. Can you imagine if they'd created an Azure forum?

I'm not suggesting there is anything inappropriate about either techology. What it really tells us is a lot more about the types of members we have here. At least in terms of .Net, since Microsoft pretty much left VB6 progammers out in the cold on both.

My conclusion would be that the membership is mostly students, hobby plinkers, and vocational coders. The few professional and experienced programmers probably answer far more questions than they ask.

Of course I'm sure some are doing more than tinkering with Metro (or UAP, or whatever it is called tomorrow, maybe Golden Levitating Boots?) but they wouldn't ask about it here because the odds of good answers are better elsewhere. So it becomes a bit of a self-defeating situation: no questions being asked here, nobody asks new questions here. Basically, "the community doesn't live here."

Azure has no forum here but I'm sure it gets a slightly larger trickle of questions, though somewhat the same situation applies.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    or whatever it is called tomorrow, maybe Golden Levitating Boots?)
    Not a chance. The acronym is taken.

Lurker

Hey Woss, I guess all communities change over time but it definitely doesn't feel the way it used to on here.

I think the bulletin board format is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but I remember getting involved in some fantastic discussions and a few collaborative projects through this website which wouldn't be possible over the modern StackExchange format. There are people on this website who gave me more valuable knowledge than I ever got from a classroom and I'm forever indebted to them.

I almost wish I worked with .NET just so I could contribute as much as I used to be able to.

(Joking... I don't.)

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Hey Pena LTNS.

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    I think the bulletin board format is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but I remember getting involved in some fantastic discussions and a few collaborative projects through this website which wouldn't be possible over the modern StackExchange format.
    Great observation. Yes, the forum model does have the ability to maintain a thread for a long time without seeking a specific end state - things can evolve for many months if there is recurring interest. It can foster a terrifically friendly and supportive atmosphere under the right circumstances.

StackExchange (which is great for purely learning stuff in a hurry) is eager to divide broad topics down to specific and mostly esoteric points and solve them definitively and then analyse the crap out of it until the people who did all the work have been divorced from it by the machine. It can be sterile and soulless. That said the SE model is very interesting and it is always being reviewed and improved. It's probably a superb model for corporate CRM (or whatever they are calling it these days) systems to take inspiration from.

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    There are people on this website who gave me more valuable knowledge than I ever got from a classroom and I'm forever indebted to them.
    This, a thousand times over.
    I don't live here any more.

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

What is this doom nonsense?
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Ouhhh Doom, now that was a video game!!!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Still playing it.

Look who just got resurrected!!

No playing games here. too busy and any free time Im posting

Who got resurrected? -_-

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I think he was a mafia boss a long time back.

PowerPoster

Falwell was resurrected? Oops! Wrong thread.

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

I ran the Mafia game threads. IIRC, I played the character that was initially murdered.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

You should run another! I missed the first one.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I won't mention any names, because some of them lurk.
    I have no idea why any of them would do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    Somebody should tell koolsid that we found you!

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    Neither do I.

Of course, you aren't one of the insane ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendhak
    Neither do I.

Of course, you aren't one of the insane ones.
    The Ghost of Froggy past!

Mendhak, come back. We Shaggy needs some competition in the pun contests.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow_Raider View Post
    I ran the Mafia game threads. IIRC, I played the character that was initially murdered.
    Isnt it Maria Month? -_-

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I cant remember approving any of these posts!!
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Atheist.... Welcome back.

Yuss! Everyone is coming back!

This forum is like sooooo 5 years ago

We will see how long it lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    We will see how long it lasts...
    NIIIINNNNE THOUUUUUUUUUUUUSAND YEARS!

-tg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast