Thread: Dust plugs: opinions?

PowerPoster

Dust plugs: opinions?

Has anyone used those port dust plugs for laptops, cellphones, network accessories, etc?

These are usually made from silicone rubber and jam into ports to keep dust and crud out. You can find them in many sizes: RJ-45 Ethernet, USB, VGA, HDMI, audio jack, eSATA, etc.

Often you can find different "sets" of them for laptops vs. phones/tablets. Of course you might need two sets to get fuller coverage for a given laptop and a few related devices (travel routers, etc.) you might want to cover. I've seen packages like a grab-bag of RJ-45s or USBs too (maybe 10 or 12 in a pack).

These seem like a great idea, but I have no experience with them. However if they're all that great you'd think they'd be common at all kinds of retailers and even those "dollar store" ("pound shop") places for dirt cheap, being sold in vast quantities. Since I haven't seen them there (or have I not been looking?) I wonder if they really aren't all that handy after all.

Name:  plugs.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  14.5 KB

Any opinions? Preferably based on experience?

Re: Dust plugs: opinions?

I have never used them, but I have not had much of a problem with dust getting into my holes (giggity?).

I can see these getting lost quite frequently. Especially the USB and power plugs since they will be used the most... Probably end up being more of a hassle replacing them than it would be to just blow out the hole every once in a while.
    My usual boring signature: Something

PowerPoster

Good point. Even if you only plugged holes you never use (that's what she said) you'd probably end up putting tape on them too just to hold the darned plugs in. At that point you might as well just tape over the holes.

Probably why you can't find a set for $1 in every Best Buy or Staples.

I didn't even know they existed. I'd probably end up loosing them too... pull one out to plug something in.... unplug the device and walk off... yeah,seems more of a hassle than it might be worth. Not even sure I've even thought about it before.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Our manufacturing floor has numerous PCs. It is also an extremely dusty environment. The PC fans suck in a tremendous amount of dust. We routinely blow the cases and ports out with compressed air. Plugging the unused ports doesn't gain us much. I would be more likely to use them to identify bad ports so we don't waste time trying to use them.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

PowerPoster

I notice that my camcorder and still camera use captive port dust caps, as does my Bluetooth headset. I saw some ruggedized tablets that use them too.

But so far nobody is reporting any experience with aftermarket caps. I might have to buy a set and try living with them a while so I can give a report/mini-review.