Thread: Reading multichoice questions and answers on a pdf page

Addicted Member

Reading multichoice questions and answers on a pdf page

I am writing a vb.net program for a multichoice e-testing. The program should pick the answer input from a user, read a pdf file, locate the correct answer, compare it to the user answer and send a wrong or correct answer verdict back to the user. My question is how do I read a pdf file? Is there a .dll for this. I have read about iTextSharp but I don't know if it can really do what I want to achieve here. If so, please give me some clues as to how to use it. If not, is there any other reader I can use to achieve this? Should I use a different format such as xps or even plain text. Please bear with me, I just want a kick-start advice because I have never written a program like this before. Thanks for helping.

Re: Reading multichoice questions and answers on a pdf page

If you have the ability to format the answers in any form you like, why is PDF mentioned? Does the information need to be in pdf format?

If not, then essentially you have a database-like format. The simplest would be a text file. Any other document format is going to be a lot of trouble in comparison.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Addicted Member

Re: Reading multichoice questions and answers on a pdf page

The first choice is the pdf format because the text is presented in it. However, if it proves to be cumbersome and not the best solution I am willing to go with what you advise to work best. I was also thinking of just putting the answers in a collection and do the iteration to pick the correct answer and do the comparison. In fact, I think by a simple referencing this should work out unless there is a better idea. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    If you have the ability to format the answers in any form you like, why is PDF mentioned? Does the information need to be in pdf format?

If not, then essentially you have a database-like format. The simplest would be a text file. Any other document format is going to be a lot of trouble in comparison.