Thread: [RESOLVED] Accessing web data

Resolved [RESOLVED] Accessing web data

IN VB6, not using "winHttp.winHttpRequest" , how do I access a web page, not as source, but as it displays within any browser? The info I am trying to get is on the page, but not in the source. I need to get one piece of info and write it to a text file.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Accessing web data

I guess you're asking about WebBrowser control to show how a page looks

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Yes.

If data is being displayed, but isn't part of the source, then I'd suspect that it is probably being loaded dynamically by some js and an AJAX call. That poses a problem because it's not part of the original source loaded by the browser.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Or the text might be written into the page by script loaded from an off-page file (script tag with a src attribute). Or script that fetches more script to execute and then that writes the text. Or it might even be text rendered as an image at the server and sent back for display.

In any case this could be going on for a number of reasons, but one of the main reasons is to prevent the very thing you are trying to do.

Web scraping is theft unless explicitly permitted by the site operator.

I believe that the data is protected. That is why it not in the source file. I am not trying to change any data. It is a number, probably less than 50. I can easily see the data on the screen. All I want to do is to copy that number and display it elsewhere. I have access rights to the displayed screen. I am the only one with the access rights.

right... ok... but unless it is in the source, there isn't a means to extract it... you can't extract something that simply is not there...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

OK thanks. I'll close this thread