Thread: MVC for simple site?

Lively Member

MVC for simple site?

Hi guys bit new to MVC and especially ASP.NET. I am trying to create a simple site/landing page(s) with a bit or a parallax feel to it. Would it be best to go with MVC or use Web Forms?

I am leaning towards MVC because im sure it will be useful somewhere. But really even for later projects is it possible to do static like stuff with MVC?

King of sapila

Re: MVC for simple site?

I would go 100% with simple web forms. Don't want to explain again or start another "food fight" with JM. MVC seems to bee the future implementation of asp.net (as asp.net web forms has been hold ) but almost everything you want to do will work fine.
    Having said that, I would have gone 100% with client side JS vs Asp.net. I just use asp.net as a "notepad" that i can write JS with some intellisense.
    So I would say neither on MVC and ASP.NET but if i had to choose the I would have gone with ASP.NET. Mind you Microsoft MVC is bs, other implementations on php are perfectly fine.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

If all you want is static then you don't need MVC, WebForms or ASP of any flavour. These are for making dynamic web pages. What's wrong with plain old HTML?

Microsoft MVC is bs
    You'll be glad to hear that MVC is growing on me and I definitely prefer it over WebForms. I've never tried the pure javascript aproach, though, so have no real basis for comparison to you aproach.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

MVC in general as a design pattern is pretty great (IMHO) ... it's MS's implementation of it that I've had problems with.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

MS MVC bashing leads me to post again that NancyFx is a nice, lightweight framework that handles MVC very cleanly and doesn't have the bloat of MS's MVC implementation.

King of sapila

I wonder what they were drinking that day at MS, when they created MVC....And possibly if they can give me some too
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    If all you want is static then you don't need MVC, WebForms or ASP of any flavour. These are for making dynamic web pages. What's wrong with plain old HTML?

You'll be glad to hear that MVC is growing on me and I definitely prefer it over WebForms. I've never tried the pure javascript aproach, though, so have no real basis for comparison to you aproach.
    Yeh its kind of a basic site. One section has an input that takes an email and when they click the button it stores the address in a database and then it sends them to a page with testimonials.

The testimonials page then has links to each individual testimonial with individual info.

So alot of information will be stored in the database so I think MVC might be the right way still.
    Last edited by sharpCode#; Jun 19th, 2015 at 09:47 PM.

Lively Member

I should add the look and feel will be similar to this as it is the main product site. http://urbanenterprise.com.au/monitor/