Thread: [RESOLVED] How to prevent to open a new dynamical form in runtime in this case?

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to prevent to open a new dynamical form in runtime in this case?

I've a mdiparent form where I load multiple mdichild forms. These mdichild forms are the same form with different data (the program is based on data analysis, so I can open multiple files and create a new form in runtime). The code I use to open the new form is the next
    Code:
    Dim MyNewForm As New frmChildForm
    Load MyNewForm
    MyNewForm.Show
    So each time I open a file, a new form is shown.

The problem I've is that I want to draw a line in MyNewForm from another form when I press a command button (the command button is not in the MyNewForm) a new MyNewForm is opened instead of drawing the line in the active MyNewForm.

In MyNewForm I've a Public Sub:
    Code:
    Public Sub DrawALine()
         MyPictureBox.Line (10,50) - (30, 80)
    End Sub
    In the other form I've
    Code:
    frmChildForm.DrawALine
    And the result is that a new mdichild form is created with the line, instead of drawing in the active form.

What do I should change to draw the line in the active form instead of creating a new form?

Re: How to prevent to open a new dynamical form in runtime in this case?

The active MDI child is a property of the MDI form: ActiveForm
    Is that what you want? MDIform.ActiveForm.DrawALine ?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    The active MDI child is a property of the MDI form: ActiveForm
    Is that what you want? MDIform.ActiveForm.DrawALine ?
    I'm looking something like that but I cannot find .ActiveForm property. I'm looking for it.

It's a property on the MDI parent: Me.ActiveForm or [MDIparentFormName].AcitveForm

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

It's a property on the MDI parent: Me.ActiveForm or [MDIparentFormName].AcitveForm
    I've found it. Thank you. It works ok.

I've another question. In this case I don't have any problem because the secondary form where I press the button 'Draw a line' is not an mdichild. But imagine that the activeform is the mdichild form where I press 'draw a line'. The program would try to draw a line in the same form where I press the button.

So I think I should have to use another method to draw a line in a non-active mdichild form and it must be done where there are maybe 4 or 5 non-active mdichild forms. How to approach the problem in that scenario?

Good question. How will your form know which sibling is to draw the line? Will the active form have to know which sibling form to call or will the user have to tell it which sibling?

If it is user-directed, you will likely want to show some menu or popup window for the user to choose from.

If is is not user-directed, you will likely need to keep some sort of list. If it decided by ZOrder of the child forms, you can get the current ZOrder via APIs. But those APIs use hWnds and since all your child forms are of the same class (frmChildForm), you'll want to loop thru the Forms collection to find the form that has the appropriate hWnd, i.e.,
    Code:
    For f = 0 To Forms.Count - 1
       If Forms(f).hWnd = targetHwnd Then
           Forms(f).DrawALine
           Exit For
       End If
    Next
    The above questions are rhetorical, to be answered by you. I didn't ask them, for you to post the answers here.

Bottom line Jose, this requires a bit of forethought on your part. First think it through and then the best option will likely stand out

Hyperactive Member

Good question. How will your form know which sibling is to draw the line? Will the active form have to know which sibling form to call or will the user have to tell it which sibling?

If it is user-directed, you will likely want to show some menu or popup window for the user to choose from.

If is is not user-directed, you will likely need to keep some sort of list. If it decided by ZOrder of the child forms, you can get the current ZOrder via APIs. But those APIs use hWnds and since all your child forms are of the same class (frmChildForm), you'll want to loop thru the Forms collection to find the form that has the appropriate hWnd, i.e.,
    Code:
    For f = 0 To Forms.Count - 1
       If Forms(f).hWnd = targetHwnd Then
           Forms(f).DrawALine
           Exit For
       End If
    Next
    The above questions are rhetorical, to be answered by you. I didn't ask them, for you to post the answers here.

Bottom line Jose, this requires a bit of forethought on your part. First think it through and then the best option will likely stand out
    I'm carefully reading your answer. The line has to be drawn in the last active frmChildForm and it's not user-directed. I think the program will need to select the form via ZOrder, because the intention is to use the last active frmChildForm.

I don't know how to identify the target hWnd. I think about monitoring the frmChildForms and each time that the frmChildForm is activated, the value of a variable LastActivefrmChildForm can be updated with the hWnd of the active frmChildForm. Would be this a good solution?

Think that should work for you and honestly, should be easier than calling some function to determine which sibling form is directly lower in the ZOrder, via APIs, than the current one. But you'll need to think this thru. If you click on the child whose button will be clicked, that child will have set itself as the LastActiveChildForm, correct? So, sounds like you to need to know at least the last 2 active child forms?

Hyperactive Member

Think that should work for you and honestly, should be easier than calling some function to determine which sibling form is directly lower in the ZOrder, via APIs, than the current one. But you'll need to think this thru. If you click on the child whose button will be clicked, that child will have set itself as the LastActiveChildForm, correct? So, sounds like you to need to know at least the last 2 active child forms?
    Well, I don't explained the mechanism very well sorry. I tried to explain that only the frmChildForms can modify the LastActiveChildForm. You've correct when you say that the other form would update the LastActiveChildForm variable. But I forgot to mention that only the frmChildForms can update that value.

If it doesn't work or becomes a pain to keep your references up to date, the API approach is quite simple to return the hWnd of the sibling window directly below, in ZOrder, of the active window
    Code:
    ' Declarations
    Private Declare Function GetNextWindow Lib "user32.dll" Alias "GetWindow" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wFlag As Long) As Long
    Private Const GW_HWNDNEXT As Long = 2

' sample call from the child form whose button is being clicked
    tgtHwnd = GetNextWindow(Me.hWnd, GW_HWNDNEXT)
    ' if tgtHwnd = 0 then there is only 1 child form loaded

Hyperactive Member

If it doesn't work or becomes a pain to keep your references up to date, the API approach is quite simple to return the hWnd of the sibling window directly below, in ZOrder, of the active window
    Code:
    ' Declarations
    Private Declare Function GetNextWindow Lib "user32.dll" Alias "GetWindow" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal wFlag As Long) As Long

' sample call from the child form whose button is being clicked
    tgtHwnd = GetNextWindow(Me.hWnd, GW_HWNDNEXT)
    ' if tgtHwnd = 0 then there is only 1 child form loaded
    thank you very much LaVolpe. That information is high enought to solve the problem.

Re: [RESOLVED] How to prevent to open a new dynamical form in runtime in this case?

Here's an example that demonstrates another simple approach that doesn't require APIs. Instead, it relies on the Deactivate event of a Form. Start a new Standard EXE project, make the default Form an MDIChild, add an MDIForm and a standard module and then copy & paste the following:

Code:
    Option Explicit 'In MDIChild Form

Private Declare Function GetWindow Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uCmd As Long) As Long

Private WithEvents cmdNewForm    As VB.CommandButton
    Private WithEvents cmdPrintTimer As VB.CommandButton

Private Sub cmdNewForm_Click()
        #If OneLiner Then
            Forms.Add(Name).Show
        #Else
            With New Form1
                .Show
            End With
        #End If
    End Sub

Private Sub cmdPrintTimer_Click()
        If Not LastActiveChildForm Is Nothing Then LastActiveChildForm.Print Timer
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Deactivate()
        Set LastActiveChildForm = Me
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        AutoRedraw = True
        Caption = hWnd

Set cmdNewForm = Controls.Add("VB.CommandButton", "cmdNewForm")
        cmdNewForm.Caption = "New &Form"
        cmdNewForm.Visible = True

Set cmdPrintTimer = Controls.Add("VB.CommandButton", "cmdPrintTimer")
        cmdPrintTimer.Caption = "Print &Timer"
        cmdPrintTimer.Visible = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize()
        On Error Resume Next
        cmdNewForm.Move ScaleWidth / 2! - cmdNewForm.Width, (ScaleHeight - cmdNewForm.Height) / 2!
        cmdPrintTimer.Move ScaleWidth / 2!, (ScaleHeight - cmdPrintTimer.Height) / 2!
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
        Dim hWndNext As Long, Form As VB.Form

If Not LastActiveChildForm Is Nothing Then
            DoEvents 'Let the new LastActiveChildForm's Deactivate event finish first (this won't happen though when stepping thru in IDE)
            hWndNext = GetWindow(LastActiveChildForm.hWnd, GW_HWNDNEXT)

If hWndNext Then
                For Each Form In Forms
                    If Form.hWnd = hWndNext Then
                        Set LastActiveChildForm = Form
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next
            Else
                Set LastActiveChildForm = Nothing
            End If
        End If
    End Sub
    Code:
    Option Explicit 'In a standard (.BAS) module

Public LastActiveChildForm As VB.Form

EDIT

The amended code above now incorporates LaVolpe's API suggestion which solves the issue he pointed out in post #17.
    Last edited by Bonnie West; Jun 15th, 2015 at 04:34 AM.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Hyperactive Member

Re: [RESOLVED] How to prevent to open a new dynamical form in runtime in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie West View Post
    Here's an example that demonstrates another simple approach that doesn't require APIs. Instead, it relies on the Deactivate event of a Form. Start a new Standard EXE project, make the default Form an MDIChild, add an MDIForm and a standard module and then copy & paste the following:

Code:
    Option Explicit 'In MDIChild Form

Private WithEvents cmdNewForm    As VB.CommandButton
    Private WithEvents cmdPrintTimer As VB.CommandButton

Private Sub cmdNewForm_Click()
        #If OneLiner Then
            Forms.Add(Name).Show
        #Else
            With New Form1
                .Show
            End With
        #End If
    End Sub

Private Sub cmdPrintTimer_Click()
        If Not LastActiveChildForm Is Nothing Then LastActiveChildForm.Print Timer
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Deactivate()
        Set LastActiveChildForm = Me
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        AutoRedraw = True

Set cmdNewForm = Controls.Add("VB.CommandButton", "cmdNewForm")
        cmdNewForm.Caption = "New &Form"
        cmdNewForm.Visible = True

Set cmdPrintTimer = Controls.Add("VB.CommandButton", "cmdPrintTimer")
        cmdPrintTimer.Caption = "Print &Timer"
        cmdPrintTimer.Visible = True
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize()
        On Error Resume Next
        cmdNewForm.Move ScaleWidth / 2! - cmdNewForm.Width, (ScaleHeight - cmdNewForm.Height) / 2!
        cmdPrintTimer.Move ScaleWidth / 2!, (ScaleHeight - cmdPrintTimer.Height) / 2!
    End Sub
    Code:
    Option Explicit 'In a standard (.BAS) module

Public LastActiveChildForm As VB.Form
    Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it.

PowerPoster

@Bonnie

What's it supposed to do

If I put the code in the MDIChild (Form1) like you say I get nothing but a blank Form

If I put the code in the MDIForm (Form2) I get error

No MDI Form available to load (by clicking on the cmdNewForm button)
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Jun 14th, 2015 at 01:39 PM.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    @Bonnie

What's it supposed to do

If I put the code in the MDIChild (Form1) like you say I get nothing but a blank Form

If I put the code in the MDIForm (Form2) I get error

No MDI Form available to load (by clicking on the cmdNewForm button)
    Did you perform the following steps exactly as I wrote above?

1. Start a new Standard EXE project.
    2. Make the default Form an MDIChild.
    3. Add an MDIForm and a standard Module.
    4. Copy & paste the codes in post #12 to their respective modules.

If you've done it correctly, the cmdNewForm button will load and show a new instance of the MDIChild while the cmdPrintTimer button will print the output of the Timer function to the last active MDIChild Form.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0

PowerPoster

I started a new Standard EXE
    When the default Form (Form1) appears I made MDIChild = True
    I added Form2 and left it as is (MDIChild = False)
    I put the code in Form1, the MDIChild Form
    I added a .BAS module
    I put the module code in the module
    I set the project to start on Form2

All that happen is I get Form2 show as a blank Form

If you've done it correctly, the cmdNewForm button will load and show a new instance of the MDIChild while the cmdPrintTimer button will print the output of the Timer function to the last active MDIChild Form.

How can that happen when Form2 has no code and Form1(with the code to show cmdNewForm) is never executed.

If I set the project to start on Form1 I get error

Are you sure you stated everything to do?

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Getting Bonnie's sample project running is one thing, but her logic to determine 2nd to last form that had focus is pretty good. I do see at least one pitfall.

Let's say there are 3 child forms currently displayed
    1. User clicks on the middle one, the one that happens to be LastActiveChildForm
    2. This forces what was just the top level form to deactivate & changes LastActiveChildForm to itself
    3. User closes the now top level form (does it trigger a deactivate event?)
    -- if yes, then LastActiveChildForm points to an unloaded form -- incorrect
    -- if not, then LastActiveChildForm now points to the top level form -- incorrect

I added Form2 and left it as is (MDIChild = False)

. . .

I set the project to start on Form2

All that happen is I get Form2 show as a blank Form
    The second Form (Form2) is supposed to be an MDIForm. A VB6 project cannot have MDIChild(s) without their parent MDIForm. The project's Startup Object should be the first Form (Form1).

PowerPoster

So how to make Form2 a MDIForm
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Jun 14th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.

So how to make Form2 a MDIForm
    Menu: Project|Add MDI Form
    Change the form name if desired

PowerPoster

Duh

I do see at least one pitfall.
    Great catch!

The best way, it seems, to fix that issue is by combining both of our approaches. The revised code in post #12 now has the best of both worlds and with none of the disadvantages!