Thread: [RESOLVED] VB.Net - MS Access - Check Boxes

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB.Net - MS Access - Check Boxes

Hi - a question for you all for my own knowledge and learning.

I have a form which sends and retrieves data to/from an Access database. The form comprises a couple of Check Boxes, among other things. I found that when saving/retrieving data from the DB, i received the following error:
    'An unhandled exception of type 'System.ComponentModel.InvalidEnumArgumentException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: The value of argument 'value' (-1) is invalid for Enum type 'CheckState'.'
    The offending code:
    Code:
    Imports System.Data.OleDb    
       Private Sub btnRetrieveData_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnRetrieveData.Click
            Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
            Dim dbProvider$ = "Provider=MICROSOFT.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;"
            Dim dbSource$ = "Data Source = C:\Desktop\Access.accdb"
            Dim DS As New DataSet
            Dim DA As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter        
            con.ConnectionString = dbProvider & dbSource
            con.Open()
            DA = New OleDbDataAdapter(Select * From tb, con)
            DA.Fill(DS, "FirstTable")
            ckPplFFTD.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(5)
            ckPplSEND.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(7)
            con.Close()
       End Sub
    Ok... so... after a bit of head scratching, i figured Access' Check Box integer values were different to VB.Net's Check Box values. So... i changed my code to the following and the form worked:

Code:

If DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(5) = -1 Then
            ckPplFFTD.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(5) + 2
            Else
            ckPplFFTD.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(5)
            End If

If DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(7) = -1 Then
            ckPplSEND.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(7) + 2
            Else
            ckPplSEND.CheckState = DS.Tables("FirstTable").Rows(inc).Item(7)
            End If
    My question: Is this the correct way of doing things?? It seems a little clunky and i cant help but think i'm not doing things as they should be done.

Thanks in advance.

GTD

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB.Net - MS Access - Check Boxes

set your table data type to boolean then use the .Value property after your item and set the checked property instead of the check state would be a more conventional method

The Access data type to represent a Boolean is `Yes/No`. Yes corresponds to True and No corresponds to False, as you'd expect. In .NET, the CheckBox property that represents a Boolean is Checked, NOT CheckState. I see so many people using CheckState without ever reading anything about it to see what it is really for.

You use CheckState ONLY if you want a tri-state CheckBox, i.e. one that can be checked, not checked or in an indeterminate state. You would use that to represent a nullable Boolean. If you have a yes/No column in Access that supports NULLs then you would use the CheckState, i.e. Yes corresponds to Checked, No corresponds to Unchecked and NULL corresponds to Indeterminate.

So, you should NEVER be assigning values from an Access field directly to the CheckState property. If the field is not nullable then it should contain a Boolean and that should be assigned to the Checked property.
    Code:
    myCheckBox.Checked = CBool(myDataRow("YesNoColumn"))
    If it is nullable then it should still contain Booleans so you first test whether it does and then which it is and assign the appropriate CheckState value.
    Code:
    myCheckBox.CheckState = If(myDataRow.IsNull("YesNoColumn"),
                               CheckState.Indeterminate,
                               If(CBool(myDataRow("YesNoColumn")),
                                  CheckState.Checked,
                                  CheckState.Unchecked))

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You use CheckState ONLY if you want a tri-state CheckBox, i.e. one that can be checked, not checked or in an indeterminate state. You would use that to represent a nullable Boolean. If you have a yes/No column in Access that supports NULLs then you would use the CheckState, i.e. Yes corresponds to Checked, No corresponds to Unchecked and NULL corresponds to Indeterminate.
    I am using tri-state... so i'm on the right track -- thanks for responding .

GTD