Thread: Connection String

Fanatic Member

Connection String

Hi

I want to make a connection string & it should try to make connection in a certain period of time . If connection successful them o.k else it give message "timeout,unable to make connection within specified time"

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Connection String

ADO Connection objects can be declared WithEvents.

Then you can call the Open method passing adAsyncConnect, and Enable a Timer control.

If the Timer fires before the Connection raises its ConnectComplete event you can call the Cancel method.

All of this is covered in the MSDN Library CDs that shipped with legal copies of VB6.

Fanatic Member

Hi

Isn't there any option of timeout in connection string

Thanks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Then you can call the Open method passing adAsyncConnect, and Enable a Timer control.

If the Timer fires before the Connection raises its ConnectComplete event you can call the Cancel method.

All of this is covered in the MSDN Library CDs that shipped with legal copies of VB6.
    How do you know it has to do with ADO when that is not even mentioned

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    How do you know it has to do with ADO when that is not even mentioned
    The term "Connection String" is a pretty good hint. That and being in a VB6 forum.

PowerPoster

Oh, OK. I don't know ADO so that's why I asked
    Last edited by jmsrickland; May 29th, 2015 at 02:02 AM.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jagjit View Post
    Hi

Isn't there any option of timeout in connection string

Thanks
    Or... you just create the connection object, set the connectionstring, set the ConnectionTimeout property, wrap it in an error handler, and then attempt to open it. If it doesn't open within the time specified by the CommandTimeout, and error will be raised... if the connection is successful, then it opens, and the code continues.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

True enough, though as it says in the manual:

Make sure the provider to which you are writing code supports the ConnectionTimeout functionality.
    Then if the interval is short enough (5 seconds or less) hanging on a synchronous Open works too. Longer than that and Windows will mark you "unresponsive" (irresponsible?). Plus you have no way to let the user "cancel" a connection attempt that takes too long.
    Last edited by dilettante; May 29th, 2015 at 08:33 AM.