Thread: After create Install my software can't create files in Program Files folder ?

Lively Member

After create Install my software can't create files in Program Files folder ?

I create Setup for my app with InstallCreator, and when my software is installed all files be copied in C:ProgramFiles/MySoftware
    For create, delete or copy any file or folder in ProgramFiles system need administrator permission (click on button "Continue")

My software need to create .txt files in folder but always if user click on button to create files I get this error from windows:

HTML Code:
    Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to contionu. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. 
    Access to the path C:/Program Files/MySoftware/file.txt' is denied
    What should I do?
    Sorry for bad English.
    Thanks a lot.

Re: After create Install my software can't create files in Program Files folder ?

My workaround for this was to create a folder in the 'My Documents' of the user account and save all editing files in there. The thing is that on windows vista and on you need administrative permission in order to edit or change any documents in the program files folder.

For example, this code will open an excel doc in the 'My Documents' location.

Code:

Dim xlAppP As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application
                Dim xlWorkBookP As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook
                Dim xlWorkSheetP As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet
                Dim excelType As Type = System.Type.GetTypeFromProgID("Excel.Application")

xlAppP = CType(System.Activator.CreateInstance(excelType), Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application)
                xlAppP.Application.DisplayAlerts = False

xlWorkBookP = xlAppP.Workbooks.Open("" + My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.MyDocuments + "\FOLDER1\FOLDER 2\ExcelDoc.xlsx", Notify:=False) 
                xlWorkSheetP = CType(xlWorkBookP.Worksheets(1), Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet)

xlAppP.Visible = False

Dim xlapprange As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range = xlWorkSheetP.Range("D2")
                Dim valueofappprange As String = CStr(xlapprange.Value)

TextBox19.Text = valueofappprange
                ReleaseCOM(xlapprange)
                releaseObject(xlapprange)
    You can use this and modify it in order to create a folder, file, or copy and paste your files from your Programs folder into the My Documents. Since the Programs folder can not be edited I use them as an untouched 'original' of the document and then when needed, copy that original into the My Documents location and edit that file.

I hope that helps

Frab~

---____--- EDIT ----____----

I also have found that this program, Inno Setup Compiler, has a much easier installer than on Visual Studio. Save your program as an EXE and then use the Inno to setup the files and folders to go inside the Program Files.

Inno Setup Compiler
    Last edited by Frabulator; May 27th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
    Oops, There it goes. Yep... my brain stopped...

Useful Things:

How to link your VB.Net application to Excel

Lively Member

Re: After create Install my software can't create files in Program Files folder ?

Thanks for answer and help but I must save my files in app folder.
    If I run my software as administrator then all works fine, I try to change in my software to run administrator.
    When I try to open "View window setting" and I get error:

The parameter is incorrect.(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))

Thanks

You should not be writing to program files. Thats where applications live. Not Data. Application Data is created for such reasons.

As ident said Program Files is for your Program's exe and any DLL files, etc.
    Any documents your app writes should be written in a folder in your Documents folder which is intended for that purpose and doesn't have restricted write access.