Thread: [RESOLVED] Creating & using a temporary database

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Creating & using a temporary database

I would like to print using rdlc.
    I have data in a csv file which changes.
    I have in the past used vb, sql & rdlc to write reports from one database.

This time, I would like to open the csv file and create a temporary database.
    I then wish to access this to create reports using rdlc reports.

All the examples I can find are about connecting to a specific database. My database will be a different one created specifically on the individual computer, then the application is run, and then deleted.

Can you give me any help on how to get started, i.e. how to programmatically create the database and connect to it and how to use rdlc reports.

Thanks

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Creating & using a temporary database

What database are you using SQL Server, Access, MySql OR other ???

In SQL Server for instance you can - Right-click on the Database, select Tasks and then Generate Scripts, which will launch the Script Wizard. This allows you to generate a single script that can recreate a full database including table, indexes, stored procedures, functions e.t.c depending on the options you choose.

There are a number of options in the Script wizard that you will probably want to select, you can even script data as well as tables if you select the option.

Of course you would need to create the database in the first place, but once you have done that and generated the Script you can then just run the script on another database server and it will recreate your database for you

I am not sure its possible in Access to create a whole database from script, maybe another member can confirm that though?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Hyperactive Member

Thanks.
    I'm using a SQL Server.
    But I wonder if this is to complex as the user will need to have SQL Server on their computer or be linked to a network server.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    What database are you using SQL Server, Access, MySql OR other ???

In SQL Server for instance you can - Right-click on the Database, select Tasks and then Generate Scripts, which will launch the Script Wizard. This allows you to generate a single script that can recreate a full database including table, indexes, stored procedures, functions e.t.c depending on the options you choose.

There are a number of options in the Script wizard that you will probably want to select, you can even script data as well as tables if you select the option.

Of course you would need to create the database in the first place, but once you have done that and generated the Script you can then just run the script on another database server and it will recreate your database for you

I am not sure its possible in Access to create a whole database from script, maybe another member can confirm that though?

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Well if you are using SQL server then of course the user will need to have SQL Server on their computer or be linked to a network server!!!

But whatever database you use will have to either be a networked instance or installed on the users machine.

Even for Access at the very least you would need the Access Runtime Version installed !!!

The point is you cant have a database just on its own, every database has a database engine that it requires to host and run the database
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Hyperactive Member

Thanks, that's clarified it