Thread: iPhone and low picture resolution

iPhone and low picture resolution

I finally have an iPhone, that my boss gave me when I complained that texts cost me 10 cents each .

My daughter performed in Rock Orchestra so I took pictures. A coworker told me how to zoom in. I took pictures of her doing the electric guitar solo in So Far Away by Avenged Sevenfold (so proud ). The pictures look great on the phone. I copied them to my PC, and the ones of the whole band where I didn't zoom in look good, but the ones zoomed in of my daughter look really grainy. And they're tiny (800k).

I uploaded them to Walmart for printing, but I am not sure how they are going to come out.

My daughters told me pictures on my iPhone are supposed to just stay there, and that is what I am supposed to show people. I get annoyed when people show me pictures on their phones. Now I have to be annoying? (JK, I know it's me, I'm old fashioned). Plus, I scrapbook, and really want the physical picture.

Is there any way to copy the pictures from the phone to the PC at a higher (> 1k, which is about what the not zoomed in ones are) resolution???
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: iPhone and low picture resolution

Which version of the iPhone?

The photos should come out at a decent resolution assuming you're just copying them off the phone. However, depending on the camera, and how far you zoomed in, the pictures may be grainy due to a poor quality camera (again, depends on the version).

I shouldn't assume the ones not zoomed in are going to print nicely either. After all, 1k is a lot smaller than 4k, which is the size of pics on my regular digital cameras.

Anyway, the version is iPhone 5c. Is that very old? I'm sure it's not the latest as I don't really rate. The phone is used and was given to me when they got rid of a contractor.

I didn't zoom in very far. She was on a stage, I was in the 3rd row, but it is a big performance theater where some rock musicians have played (Morrisey, Steve Miller - I also saw them there. Didn't have the phone yet, though, so didn't use it on them ).
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The iPhone doesn't have a actual zoom, and is just a digital zoom - like most phone cameras. You don't get something for nothing, so zooming in will get you nothing, probably less, than simply using a full shot and cropping.

Further, while megapixels is good, it's sensor size which is critical. Those millions of pixels are crammed into a tiny sensor which doesn't have a lot of light falling on it, so anything less than full bright daylight is going to result in some kind of picture defect. There's a reason people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on dedicated digital cameras and more on the lenses.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Anyway, the version is iPhone 5c. Is that very old? I'm sure it's not the latest as I don't really rate. The phone is used and was given to me when they got rid of a contractor.
    The best Camera i have had on any Phone is my Current Samsung Galaxy5. I didn't buy it for the camera but as far as cameras on phones go it is great, and much clearer pictures then my sisters IPhone.

Supposedly the best camera on a phone is those Nokia Lumia's but i hate the phones so i wouldn't get one just for the camera.

The iPhone doesn't have a actual zoom, and is just a digital zoom
    Yeh zooming on Camera Phones in general is not good

There's a reason people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on dedicated digital cameras and more on the lenses.
    Yup no Phone camera is going to come near a good proper camera, but you can do better than the IPhone cameras which i think are one of the worst features of IPhones
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I guess I've been misled. I thought people loved their iPhone cameras. I feel odd when I go to concerts and pull out my small digital camera. I also have a Pentax K1000 digital - but the problem with these is they need a flash, and usually at school performances it's "no flash devices".

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    I guess I've been misled. I thought people loved their iPhone cameras. I feel odd when I go to concerts and pull out my small digital camera. I also have a Pentax K1000 digital - but the problem with these is they need a flash, and usually at school performances it's "no flash devices".
    People do love their iPhone (and other phone) cameras. As noted, perhaps the iPhone camera isn't the best of the bunch, but they don't love them because of the high image quality - which isn't half bad, really, just not to the semi-pro level.

The point is that it's readily available to catch a moment. While there's a lot of tripe captured with phones, there's a lot of personal memories which would be lost, otherwise. Having images on your phone is like photographs in your wallet.

The only way to capture quality images in a limited light is with the largest CCD (in general) and a 'fast' lens.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    Having images on your phone is like photographs in your wallet.
    Ah, but so much more annoying!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I guess I've been misled. I thought people loved their iPhone cameras.
    People love there iPhones, not so much the cameras.

The point is that it's readily available to catch a moment.
    imho people spend far to much time trying to "catch" the moment rather than actually experiencing the moment!!!

I don't understand why people go to concerts and then spend most of the concert watching it through there Phone while trying to video it or take pictures.

My daughter performed in Rock Orchestra so I took pictures
    Of course that doesn't count
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Thanks , but I do so much agree that I would've enjoyed the concert more had I not been so busy trying to "capture" it. But by capturing it, she can see the pictures and enjoy it all over again.

I didn't know the song So Far Away before the concert. I've been listening to it a lot. I wish I had paid more attention to the young man singing and playing acoustic guitar - a 6th grader!

So I guess it's a dilemma. Enjoy the now fully or experience it again later.