Thread: MS Access - Add a Build, Edit, and Save button

MS Access - Add a Build, Edit, and Save button

Hello all, I am new to the forum so if I am breaching any sort of etiquette when posting here please let me know. I am also new to Microsoft Access. Everything that I have learned has been on the job learning and any code I have needed to figure out has been from searching Google and forums so please bear with me lol. And most of the time I have found my answer through my research but this time I think I am way in over my head so any help you guys could provide would be most appreciated!

I have a form created in Microsoft Access that serves the purpose of consolidating information in order to generate a description for an item. The heart of the form operates on queries (over 30 queries) that help generate combo boxes and the user selects what he/she wants in order to build the description that he/she desires. And that part works perfectly fine! But my boss now wants me to find out a way to build multiple descriptions on the same form AND ALSO have a way to GO BACK AND EDIT certain descriptions that have already been built and honestly I have no idea how to do this. The way I was conceiving this to happen is there would be a button entitled “Build Description” that would initiate the instance of building Description #1 and then a save button entitled “Save” that would save that description to the form and then of course another button entitled “Build Description” that initiate the instance of building Description #2 and so on and so forth. ALSO, (this is where it gets really tricky) right next to the “Build Description” button there should be a button entitled “Edit” that would allow the user to edit the description that was PREVIOUSLY generated. For instance if I had already built ten descriptions and I wanted to go back and edit Description #2 I would click the “Edit” button next to Description #2 and it would REGENERATE all of the form data, that is inclusive of the comboboxes it took to generate that particular description in the first place, and I would go in there and make the necessary CHANGES to the comboboxes and REBUILD the description. To describe this Edit button in the form of analogy it is almost like playing a video game and the gamer saves the game throughout but will create MULTIPLE save files throughout just in case so that the gamer can go back and access those save files at later date. And that is similar to what I want to do is create multiple save files and be able to go back and edit those save files later on. So I feel like the hard part is adding instances into a seamless form.

I feel like a macro recorder could come in handy here but unfortunately MS Access does not have one and also I don’t know if a subform could help me out here, although I’m not entirely sure what subforms do or how they could help….idk I’m just spitballing here everything that’s come into my mind. Also nothing I’ve said here is verbatim I am totally up for changes or you guys telling me that there is a way better way to do this. I am totally all ears here.

Idk it seems impossible to me I always feel like my boss is shooting for the stars when he assigns me these whimsical ideas of his but anyway any help or advice with my current predicament would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, I have link to download a doc explaining clearly what it is I want in my form don't know if it will work but let's give it a shot: Doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X...ew?usp=sharing
    Database: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by codeman17; May 22nd, 2015 at 01:51 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: MS Access - Add a Build, Edit, and Save button

TMI, please narrow it down.

Re: MS Access - Add a Build, Edit, and Save button

I will try to narrow it down as best as I can I am new to MS Access so I have a hard time describing exactly what I want. Also, if you guys are able I would encourage looking at that Doc and my database so you can see visually what's going on. But anyway I will give it another shot:

Essentially, I would like to know of a way where I can save a textbox or record, if you will, to the form and then move on and create a new record and so on and so forth. Also I would like for there to be a way where I can go back and edit a record that had been previously created. The problem is I have description textboxes that are bound to comboboxes and Dlookup functions to retrieve data to fill them in so any changes I make will result in the text boxes changing. Therefore, I am only able to build one record and that is it. So I want to know of a way where i can build multiple records seamlessly without them affecting one another.