Thread: The Who Hits 50 Tour

The Who Hits 50 Tour

Anyone planning on attending The Who tour?

I want to go... but my generation doesn't like The Who so I have no one to go with...
    My usual boring signature: Something

Re: The Who Hits 50 Tour

This wasn't meant to be an invite with me... I was just curious if anyone else enjoyed the Who as much as me.

I got someone to go with me. I bought tickets. Any other Who fans out there

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post

... but my generation doesn't like The Who so I have no one to go with...
    I c wut u did thar.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Who?

I'd love to see them but I imagine the tickets are costing a bomb.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I saw them during their so-called "Farewell Tour" when they said they were giving up the business and never touring again.

That was in 1982.

I don't remember what I paid for tickets but I remember it was steep.

I think I'll pass on this one.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I saw them during their so-called "Farewell Tour"
    Yeah, they've done a few of them. Almost as many as the Stones.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Have they stopped smashing their guitars and amps? Maybe it just "depends"
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The Who they were a good band once, are they still alive?

or is it like when they got that Hologram of Tupac on stage and they will all appear virtually?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    The Who they were a good band once, are they still alive?
    Daltrey and Townshend are all that's left.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel

Them and the name. It's more than some bands have.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I paid about $95 for two tickets. Total was $224 and some change.

And yeah they are pretty old, reviews say the show is still really good though. Daltrey and Townshend are both in their early 70's so it should be interesting. They threatened to stop a show a few days ago because there were too many people smoking pot in the audience and it was irritating Townshend's throat.

I kinda hope they smash some equipment at my show. It would be pretty exciting. Although its more likely they they will smash their hips trying it.

These guys live on embalming fluid.

Seeing them in Oakland Arena this September.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    Seeing them in Oakland Arena this September.
    Yay! So at least two people in this forum are going. I figured that there would be more Who fans here.

I guess not a lot of Who fans (used to) do VB

dclamp - have fun!!! Glad you found someone to go with.

Someone asked if they were still alive. That reminds me of when Kiss was touring. My daughter (at the time, 14 years old; 16 now), really likes them. But we were already going to other concerts when they were going to be at a local (1 1/2 hours away) venue and we try to have a budget. Then my husband emailed me a tabloid cover of Richards and Jagger titled "Dead Men Walking". It made me think, no one's going to be around forever so seize the day. Tickets weren't sold out and not too expensive , so we went, and it was great.

This year (July), I'm going to see Def Leppard and Styx with my daughter. It's funny how she likes all the old stuff from my teenage years. (She got mad when I changed the radio station during Teenage Wasteland. So if The Who does that song, think of her . I like The Who, just not that song). Other concerts I am seeing this year: Mumford and Sons and The Psychedelic Furs. I like a variety of bands.

Hope the show is fantastic!!!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

It would be a bit strange for The Who to sing Teenage Wasteland at this age. There would be weirder songs, but that one would be right up there.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Kind of like when we saw KC and The Sunshine Band (free concert at "Library Park" - told you my taste was varied) around 13 years ago (my youngest was a baby and I had her in a sling), and my husband said "Is it strange for him to be singing 'Shake Your Booty' at this age?"

But I don't know the words to Wasteland, so I'm not sure why it would be strange.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    dclamp - have fun!!! Glad you found someone to go with.

Someone asked if they were still alive. That reminds me of when Kiss was touring. My daughter (at the time, 14 years old; 16 now), really likes them. But we were already going to other concerts when they were going to be at a local (1 1/2 hours away) venue and we try to have a budget. Then my husband emailed me a tabloid cover of Richards and Jagger titled "Dead Men Walking". It made me think, no one's going to be around forever so seize the day. Tickets weren't sold out and not too expensive , so we went, and it was great.

This year (July), I'm going to see Def Leppard and Styx with my daughter. It's funny how she likes all the old stuff from my teenage years. (She got mad when I changed the radio station during Teenage Wasteland. So if The Who does that song, think of her . I like The Who, just not that song). Other concerts I am seeing this year: Mumford and Sons and The Psychedelic Furs. I like a variety of bands.

Hope the show is fantastic!!!
    I am happy to hear that the show is still good! I was a little worried the show might not be as good considering their age. My thought exactly, I probably wont ever get to see them again so I might as well go see them.

When I was younger I had a legal guardian (long story) who loved The Who. Because of him I developed my love for them as well. He passed away from cancer 10 years ago February so I want to see them for him as well. It will have some Sentimental value to it as well.

Maybe we can get Joe Frasier and Mohammad Ali out for one more fight?

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Maybe we can get Joe Frasier and Mohammad Ali out for one more fight?
    Smokin' Joe died in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    I saw them during their so-called "Farewell Tour" when they said they were giving up the business and never touring again.

That was in 1982.

I don't remember what I paid for tickets but I remember it was steep.

I think I'll pass on this one.
    I saw that tour in Shea Stadium with the Clash - the Clash recorded Live at Shea Stadium at that concert. 70,000 people in the stadium - the playing field filled with people.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Steve - my daughter (not the Kiss fan, the Rammstein/A Life Divided/Mumford and Sons/Clash fan) will be SO jealous!!!

The Who was great - The Clash was spectacular. I cannot recall all that many opening numbers of the concerts I've seen...

I'm not sure I would see The Who today - hitting 50. They were still relevant in 1982. They semi recovered from Moon's death and made good stuff (Quadrophenia). Daltrey really did throw that microphone way out in the audience.

Concerts in those days were mind altering - to say the least.

Chicago, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, 4 Non Blondes (ok a lot more recent) - some of these more then once. There's got to be more...

Sara Brightman put on a concert that was insane - doing covers of Procol Harum (A Salty Dog - she was flying through the air).

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Let me see if I remember: Elton John, Chicago, Crosby Still and Nash, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Steve Miller, Genesis (sans Peter Gabriel), Eric Clapton, REM, INXS, Fleetwood Mac (I think that's in order: HS, college, my early 20's).

How did 4 Non Blondes end up in that group? The only song I know by them is "What's Going On", but it's great. I use it in my aerobics classes. I use a professional online company and make my own mixes, so not everything is available. I was happy they had 4NB!

Steve - Just curious because I know you live in CT now. Did you see Chicago in Hartford by any chance?

I saw the Beatles when they played Pittsburgh in 1964...couldn't hear a thing because of all the screaming. I was just a small tyke that went with my family\older sister.

Steve - Just curious because I know you live in CT now. Did you see Chicago in Hartford by any chance?
    Chicago and Bob Marley in a field in Shelton, CT that is now gone - called Pinecrest.

Live near New Haven so Toad's Place got me 4 Non blondes - even Foghat. That is small club. Had ringing in my ears for a year after Foghat...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

A field. Interesting. I think it was Toad's Place where I saw Todd Rundgren and Utopia.

A field. Interesting. I think it was Toad's Place where I saw Todd Rundgren and Utopia.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A9639C8B63

NY Times picked up the demise...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Sad. I think I just heard something about the Oakdale Dome and how noisy it is in the neighborhoods, but I'm not sure what they proposed doing about it (just saw Goo Goo Dolls and Ringo Starr there [not together] last year).

Did that field really become condos?

And Harry Chapin...how did I forget about him? He came to my college in the early 80's.

That field is condo's now. We used to sneak in when I was 14 years old from the back streets through the woods.

Shea stadium where The Clash/The Who played in 82 is gone now also...

I saw Sara Brightman at Oakdale...

How about Broadway shows? Raul Julie and Sheena Easton in Man of La Mancha in Boston. Bebe Neuwirth in Damn Yankees in NYC. Lots of other shows - those were notable performers.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Foxboro Stadium where I saw Elton John on July 4th, 1976 (America's bicentennial) is probably gone. I don't even know who the heck Sara Brightman is. Broadway...hmm...nothing since Cats? LOL. Saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Kathleen Turner. Boy do I love her. Especially when she's with Michael Douglas. And him alone, too.

SB (covering Procol Haram)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVhQw4TDRGg

At around 43 to 45 seconds it becomes apparent why Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote the part of Christine in Phantom of the Opera for her (his then wife).

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I saw the Beatles when they played Pittsburgh in 1964...couldn't hear a thing because of all the screaming. I was just a small tyke that went with my family\older sister.
    I would have been one year old - I believe one of my sisters saw the Beatles play.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008