Thread: [RESOLVED] Dupe Icons in Toolbox

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dupe Icons in Toolbox

How did I mess this up, and how do I fix it? Googled...no good responses.

When I add, for example, Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0, I get multiple 'copies' of the same icons in the Toolbox.
    In this image, you can see the icons for the Tabstrip, Toolbar, and Statusbar and others appear three times. Some show up twice.

Have NO idea what I did to cause this. Any suggestions?

Attachment 126767

Re: Dupe Icons in Toolbox

If you press Ctrl+T to show the components & then check the "Selected Items Only" box, does that answer the question? Unchecking one or more should remove some of those icons
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

No. For example, (as I did this AM), start a new project, and use Ctrl-T (or right-mouse on the Toolbox to select Components) to bring up the list of additional components to add to the toolbox, there will be none checked (default)...but of course, you know all that.

If I select JUST the MS Common Controls 6.0 only, (regardless of what if the "Selected Items Only" box is checked or not), and say okay (or Apply and ok), I get those dupes. It does not occur on the other "Common Controls" components I have (This is Visual Studio Enterprise Edition, VB6 6.0 for 32-Bit, Version 8176.

not funny to you, but lol. This happens for any project, new or existing?

P.S. The checkbox idea was just to visually filter which components were currently selected

Edited: If you save your project (with the dupes) & open the vbp file in wordpad, do you have multiple entries for the same controls? Maybe that's the issue, registered multiple times? Just a guess
    Last edited by LaVolpe; May 19th, 2015 at 11:34 AM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Yeah, I figured you really didn't think the checkbox made the difference!

Both New and Existing. I looked at a bunch of my older programs that might have had Common Controls 6.0 and all I found had the dupes in them. I do not know when this first occurred, but definitely within the past 12 months (before that, if I recall correctly, there were no dupes.) It MAY have been around the time I was playing around with setting up a default "Templates" directory (so I would not have all the various templated Projects listed when I start a new project), but sincerely doubt that would have caused the issue.

Where are the 'controls' files located (if they ARE files)?...maybe I corrupted that one somehonw.

When I load this project: "VB Enterprise Edition Controls.vbp", shipped with my VS Pro, and file dated 6/26/1998, it also shows these same dupe icons. SOMEWHERE, I messed that up...just can't find out where, or how to remedy.

Is another 'clue'.
    I have three TabStrip Icons...I drop one of them on a form, it names it TabStrip1, saying it is a TabStrip control.
    The second one I add, names it TabStrip21, saying it is a TabStrip2 control.
    And the third one names it TabStrip31, saying it is a TabStrip3 control.

Just a little more confusion. Almost like I added two additional TabStrip controls to the ToolBox somehow, and called them TabStrip2 and TabStrip3, in addition to an original TabStrip1.

Things that make ya go 'hmmmmmm'.

This may help. These controls are in this ocx: MSComCtl.ocx. (Of course you knew THAT as well.)

Could THIS file be corrupt? If so, how do I fix? (Limited user privileges on this machine, so doubt I'd be able to register it.)

Found the file in Sys32....here is a snapshot:

Note the date (probably time all this started to occur - March 2014).

Attachment 126777

Mine has same date. Probably a Windows patch/update.

P.S. Seeing if I can replicate your problem. no joy so far

Yeah...I musta done something...SOME DAY, I'll learn this language (if I don't run outa days first).

Well, changed my Environment back to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Template" as the location for Templates (default). Still same dupes for that set of Components.

Will keep researching.