Thread: [RESOLVED] Java installation on my computer

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Java installation on my computer

Hi.
    I have a desktop computer (less than a year old) with the best of all the features.
    When I bought it 11 months ago, it was top the line.
    It is 64-bit, and it runs Windows 8.1 (64-bit).
    And I am perfectly happy with it.
    But, when I look at the control panel > Programs and features, I can't find Java installed on my computer.
    I even type java in that page (Programs and Features)'s searchbox, and suddenly the list of installed programs becomes empty and a little message appears saying "no items match your search"
    Am I missing something?
    There is no problem with my computer. There are no symptoms. And everything works fine and great.
    How can everything be great without Java being installed?
    I thought browsers use Java.
    There are also a lot of talk about it. Some people advise others to turn Java on or off for some reasons.
    All of that makes me think that Java should have come pre-installed on my computer.
    I also installed Firefox, google Chrome and Opera browsers, and I keep them as well as my operating system always up to date.
    So, all of that makes me think that java should have been installed on my computer, but, how come I can't find it on the Programs and Features page in the control panel?
    Can you please help me better understand this?
    Thanks.

Re: Java installation on my computer

Browsers don't run Java, they use Javascript, which is completely different. If you don't have any of the JRE (Java Runtime) installed, then you're not running any apps that use Java.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: [RESOLVED] Java installation on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by IliaPreston View Post
    Hi.
    Snipped............
    There is no problem with my computer. There are no symptoms. And everything works fine and great.
    How can everything be great without Java being installed?
    ..... Snipped...
    LOL.
    JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is a platform that is required to run application written in Java language. And since it's not required by Windows, it's usually not pre-installed. The user can download and install it when needed. If your computer works fine without JRE installed, chances are you don't need it now. You'll know when you need it (when you try to run something and it tells you that Java is not installed). When that time comes, you can simply download the latest version of JRE from java.com and install it.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -