dcsimg

Thread: GetAsyncKeyState vs Keyboard Layout What's the solution... or alternative?

GetAsyncKeyState vs Keyboard Layout What's the solution... or alternative?

As I understand it, and I have quite a few hours of searching and testing, GetAsyncKeyState doesn't get the "translated" (OS-processed) keystroke input. Hence, my "" key is detected as keycode 186, which represents ";" and ":" depending on whether Shift is pressed.

I read that to do what I want, I need to use SetWindowsHookEx instead of GetAsyncKeyState. I tried it, but without success. The A-Z letters are all capitalized and it still can't capture keys like "" and others.

Is there a way to get the OS-processed/translated "messages" that I (or the OS if you will) send to the presently focused window?

Please, it's driving me nuts. My experience is not that great, so I go slowly, though I usually get there. If you are knowledgeable enough, what is a matter of two or three minutes for you can be a matter of hours, if not more, to me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: GetAsyncKeyState vs Keyboard Layout What's the solution... or alternative?

I am wondering how were you able to type "" without key combination?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I am wondering how were you able to type "" without key combination?
    My keyboard is Brazilian/Portuguese. It has the key "" to the right of "L"

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Maybe WM_CHAR has the right code?
    Where can I start? Does it use the SetWindowsHookEx API?

Fanatic Member

i believe you need to look into MapVirtualKeyEx and ToUnicodeEx. check: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

PowerPoster

WM_CHAR is received in the WndProc of a subclassed form/control. From there, if it's still not correct, you could further translate with functions in the link baka pointed out from additional information provided in the lParam.

Also, you generally shouldn't use GetAsyncKeyState and use GetKeyState instead.