dcsimg

Thread: Help! Thought my lab project was saved, but I can't find it!

Addicted Member

Help! Thought my lab project was saved, but I can't find it!

So, I was working on a lab project. I selected my USB device as a save location. I have done quite a few builds, including the final one. The VS environment is set to save upon build. When I closed Visual Studio, it asked me if I wanted to save my changes. Without thinking, I pressed "Discard".

I spent one whole hour working on this project and I can't even find the exe file.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Help! Thought my lab project was saved, but I can't find it!

Are you looking for the exe or the source? Your project is built and saved every time you run the project and it won't run if that save isn't successful so if you've been running it then they exist (or have existed) somewhere. I'd suggest doing a search for files using explorer. If you were saving and building directly on the USB then they should still be on there but I'd also suggest searching the hard drive in case you hadn't set thing up the way you thought.

However, I would suggest that using a usb thumb drive (I assume that's what you're referring to) as the primary working medium for anything important isn't a great idea. You ought to be using your hard disk and then copying the files onto the usb if you want to carry them around. It's pretty easy to fudge a usb so that it appears to be larger than it is and there are stack loads of faked usbs on the market. When the content exceeds the real size then stuff starts mysteriously disappearing.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd