Thread: Recognising what code makes use of the local drive

Recognising what code makes use of the local drive

Hi All (Been a while)

I have been given a bit of an epic job.
    I have an enormous code base. Literally hundreds of folders with thousands of VB.net and VB solutions scattered around.
    My job is to search through all the code and identify where the code in some way hits the local drive. Any code that for example alters a registery key or reads a file from current applicationpath/sub folder.
    I will use some kind of grep tool or will write one myself.

What the heck should I search for? There are so many ways to mess around with the client machine.

All comments welcome. Thanks in Advance :-)

Parksie

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Recognising what code makes use of the local drive

I will use some kind of grep tool or will write one myself.
    It would be fairly easy to create an app to loop through all those folders and read in the code files into a list. You can then do all sorts of matching.

Sooooooooooooo as you have said the only issue you have really is identifying all the ways you could "mess with the local machine", which is a bit of a broad definition.

What the heck should I search for?
    "C:\" , RegistryKey , Application.Path, Environment.SpecialFolder, File.Copy, File / Folder Dialogs (which if you have a naming precedent will be easier to find)

to start you off!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

look for streams - filestreams, memory streams - readalllines, writealllines, read/writealltext... basically any file operations.

seems like an odd assignment, but im guessing some one has a reason for this.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    It would be fairly easy to create an app to loop through all those folders and read in the code files into a list....
    Will it find itself, though?!
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."