Thread: Reading Sql Connection from .ini file

Fanatic Member

Reading Sql Connection from .ini file

Hello can someone help me how to make
    when run project to read information about sql (mssql) connection from the .ini file what database to read,user,password,host

My.ini
    [Settings]
    Host = 127.0.0.1
    User = sa
    Password = password
    Database = MyDatabase

and if there is no connection with the settings when run the application to display message, cant connect to database please check configs, else to load the project
    can someone help me how to make it?

Re: Reading Sql Connection from .ini file

There are plenty of examples around of reading data from an INI file. What do you not understand about them?

As you read the data, use a SqlConnectionStringBuilder to construct the connection string one component at a time.

Fanatic Member

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...Edit-Read-Info
    here is the example that i try to explane

is there a reason why you're hell-bent on using an ini file instead of my.settings as i suggested in your other thread about writing to the ini?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

because i want to change from the .ini file if i use other username password database its much faster instead to enter in code the others

Quote Originally Posted by diablo21 View Post
    because i want to change from the .ini file if i use other username password database its much faster instead to enter in code the others
    You are misguided. It is certainly easier to have the connection information stored external to the EXE so that you don't need to recompile to change it. The authors of .NET have already thought of that though. You should be storing your connection string in the config file, which is XML and can be read automatically by your application. You should open the Settings page of your project properties and add a setting of type (ConnectionString) there. What you enter will be stored in the application config file automatically and you can retrieve it in code via My.Settings. Easy-peasy.