Thread: VB6 Rendering of Nodes in a Graph (with Hover over Connections)

Hybrid View

PowerPoster

VB6 Rendering of Nodes in a Graph (with Hover over Connections)

This cairo-(vbRichClient5)-dependent Demo will show (as the Title says) - how to efficiently
    implement a scenario, where you have to manage "connectable, draggable Boxes"
    (as in the Graph in the following screenshot):

There's a green highlighted Connection (with an appropriate ToolTip), which can - (especially
    when the Path is complex) - often cause headaches with regards to: "how-to-implement".

With cairo we have two nice calls available, which can help a great deal, when solving
    such more challenging "HitTest-problems":

- cCairoContext.InFill(x, y)
    - cCairoContext.InStroke(x, y) <-- this one was used in the Demo

So, what one basically has to do to accomplish a complex HitTest is, to simply apply the Path
    in question onto a CairoContext with the appropriate coordinates "as when truly rendered".

Even better, such a cairo-context doesn't have to be derived from "something physically"
    (as e.g. a larger ImageSurface), a "virtual one" is already sufficient for that task.

For that purpose (when working with the WidgetEngine, as in this Demo) - each cWidgetBase
    already offers such a context over W.MeasureContext.

A slight problem I found was, that whilst CC.InFill always worked reliably, CC.InStroke was only
    delivering reliable Hits in 80-90% on the length of a complex Path (as e.g. the Beziers I used here,
    due to rounding-errors in the cairo-C-Source).

Though I found a patch for that in the cairo-repo and backported that to the version (vb_cairo_sqlite.dll)
    which comes with the RichClient - in consequence CC.InStroke will now work equally reliable as CC.InFill.

So the version of the RichClient (including the latest compile of vb_cairo_sqlite.dll) which will work
    well with the zipped Demo-Archive below, needs to be at least 5.0.24
    - please visit the Download-
    page at vbRichClient.com and update your package appropriately before running it.

Here's the Demo-Zip:
    WidgetGraphConnections.zip

Have fun...

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Apr 15th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.

Re: VB6 Rendering of Nodes in a Graph (with Hover over Connections)

Nice demo. Maybe it would have been useful if we had had some additional features such as possibility to add/remove nodes or connections in real time but anyway the app offers a good base for other improvements. Thanks

PowerPoster

The Demo is related to the Discussion here: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...rogram-Testers
    and I plan to post an extended version here in this thread soon.

But reexre has made some enhancements (draggable connections etc.) already on his adaption,
    where you could take a look.

Olaf

i downloaded samples but i need this changes like this picture :
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  21.6 KB

and i need print of this result.
    how can do that?

i created new thread here too : http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ions-graphical
    Last edited by Black_Storm; Sep 11th, 2018 at 05:17 AM.