Thread: [RESOLVED] Install SQL Server silently from the command prompt

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Install SQL Server silently from the command prompt

I am trying to add a new instance of SQL Server (2012 Express) silently from the command prompt (as administrator) using the following command:

"D:\sql server\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" /qs /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ENU /ACTION="Install" /FEATURES="SQLEngine" /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /INSTANCENAME="SQLEXPRESS2012" /SAPWD="abc" /UpdateEnabled="False"

This extracts the install package, displays the installation interface and it appears to be doing something but at the end of it, the dialogue just disappears and the new instance is not created. Am I missing required parameters or is something not configured correctly? Why is the new instance is not being created?

Re: Install SQL Server silently from the command prompt

The setup would have created a log when it attempted the install. Do you have a copy of this log?

Let us assume that your installation directory is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

SQL Server 2012 – C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt
    SQL Server 2008\R2 – C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Frenzied Member

Re: Install SQL Server silently from the command prompt

Excellent thank you. Resolved. The log file stated that the instance name I used was fully qualified and was longer than the allowed 16 characters.