Thread: Login System in Visual Studio 2010

Login System in Visual Studio 2010

Hello ! I am making a login system in visual studio 2010 . I used this code and it works fine !
    Code:
       My.Settings.Username = TextBox1.Text
                My.Settings.Password = TextBox2.Text

My.Settings.Save()
                MsgBox("Account Created !", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Create")
    The only problem is that when it only remembers my username and password untill I close my project's .exe file . After I close it and reopen it all the saved data gets deleted . Could you help me by telling that how can I build a login system in which the data should not get lost even after I close the .exe file ? Many thanks !

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Login System in Visual Studio 2010

You can't using that method, as each time you enter a new user and password it will write over the last one.

The settings file is a terrible place to hold username / password information, as it completely insecure.

If you want to have multiple users of your system then you will need to use a database here is decent example of how you might go about it.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    You can't using that method, as each time you enter a new user and password it will write over the last one.

The settings file is a terrible place to hold username / password information, as it completely insecure.

If you want to have multiple users of your system then you will need to use a database here is decent example of how you might go about it.
    Hi. Thats a nice guide, but I cannot find and understand where is the code that actually checks if the password and username is wrong or correct.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

That's in Section 9, (the second black back-grounded code block).

This is the code he uses - >

Dim sql As String = "SELECT * FROM tbl_user WHERE username='" & txtUsername.Text & "' AND password = '" & txtPassword.Text & "'"
    Dim sqlCom As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(sql)

'Open Database Connection
    sqlCom.Connection = conn
    conn.Open()
    Dim sqlRead As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader = sqlCom.ExecuteReader()
    So basically he doesn't compare username and password exactly as checks to see if any users exist in the database with that Username & Password. If non exist then the user doesn't exist !

There are a number of issues with his code now i look at it closer specifically he doesn't use Parameters, but if you follow it all the way through then it should give you a good idea about how to get started, and i (and plenty of others here) can show you how to use parameters.

If you try and create your own Login system i will be more then happy to help with your code. Just post what you are trying out and i will see how i can help.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you