Thread: [RESOLVED] [ACCESS] IsNull() function in Access

Resolved [RESOLVED] [ACCESS] IsNull() function in Access

Hello,

I'm using Access 2010 and I'd like to get a specific value from my query when some null value is obtained. I know that in SQL Server we can use the function IsNull, but this doesn't work with Access. Could someone help me?

I tried to use Nz function and IIF(IsNull(...), if true, if false), but anyone worked.

Thanks.

Frenzied Member

Re: [ACCESS] IsNull() function in Access

AFAIK:
    IsNull() is a vba function,that returns true or false
    Nz() is an access function that returns the second argument if the first argument is null
    or the value of the first argument if it is not null, (simular to SQL IsNull)

Hello IkkeEnGij,

I tryed to use Nz function too, but this doesn't worked. I made something like below:

SELECT Nz(tblTermos.Termo, tblTermos.Termo, 'Null value') FROM tblTermos

I'd like to use a function like the IsNull from SQL Server.

Could you help me? Have something wrong in my query above?

Frenzied Member

I have not the faintest idea what you are trying to do
    the Nz() has only 2 parameters

The Nz function works in Access like the IsNull works in SQL Server, right?

Frenzied Member

cant test it, but i think YES

Use the IS NULL keywords... IIF([Column] IS NULL, 'It was null', [Column])

Quote Originally Posted by rafaelcb View Post
    The Nz function works in Access like the IsNull works in SQL Server, right?
    yes... and the IsNull in SQL Server still only takes TWO parameters....
    Code:
    -- Access
    SELECT Nz(tblTermos.Termo, 'Null value') FROM tblTermos 

-- SQL Server
    SELECT IsNull(tblTermos.Termo, 'Null value') FROM tblTermos
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

since there is nothing that is equal to NULL (not even NULL)
    'IS NULL' is not needed if you use IIf()

IIF([Column],[Column],"It was null")

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    since there is nothing that is equal to NULL (not even NULL)
    'IS NULL' is not needed if you use IIf()

IIF([Column],[Column],"It was null")
    In your example it could also be false. IS NULL is there so you don't use "[Column]=Null". (I'm not trying to quibble)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ull-in-access/

Quote Originally Posted by dmaruca View Post
    In your example it could also be false. IS NULL is there so you don't use "[Column]=Null". (I'm not trying to quibble)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ull-in-access/
    I will quibble... it's there because nothing can = null. that's because null is the absence of a value. so [column] = null doesn't work. But Is Null does... Things are NULL or they are not... but they do not equal null. IIF may work, but experience has taught me that it doens't work as well as most people would expect. NZ in Access and IsNull in (most) other DBMSs or some form of Is Null does.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I will quibble... it's there because nothing can = null. that's because null is the absence of a value. so [column] = null doesn't work. But Is Null does... Things are NULL or they are not... but they do not equal null. IIF may work, but experience has taught me that it doens't work as well as most people would expect. NZ in Access and IsNull in (most) other DBMSs or some form of Is Null does.

-tg
    Hi techgnome. I wasn't advocating the use of =Null Have a great night.

Oh I know that... I just wanted to quibble and point that that coulmn = null doesn't work, period. Is Null is there not so that you don't have to use = null... but because you can't.

-tg

Hello,

Now I made my query like...
    Code:
    SELECT Nz(tblTermos.Termo, 'Null value') FROM tblTermos
    and this worked! But when I try to make the same query in VBA of Excel, this doesn't work. The error number -2147217900 is showed.

I'm making tests...

NZ is an ACCESS function... it doesn't work anywhere else. If you're using VBA, then you use the IsNull function.
    It has a little different syntax: it takes a single parameter and returns True or False depending if the expression is null or not.
    Code:
    If IsNull(myVar) then
      Msgbox "It's NULL!"
    else"
      Msgbox "Not null!"
    End if
    -tg

Hello tg,

I'm not trying to use Nz() function in VBA. I make my query in VBA code and execute this using ADO Command / Recordset / Connection.

See below the code I made:

Code:
    Private Sub AtualizarLista()
    On Error GoTo TrataErro

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
        Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command
        Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset
        Dim Query As String
        Dim Where As Boolean
        Dim li As ListItem
        Dim i As Integer

Set cnn = ConectaBanco
        Set cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
        cmd.CommandType = adCmdText

Query = "SELECT "
        Query = Query & "tblGrupos.Descricao, tblTermos.Termo, "
        Query = Query & "Nz(tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao, 'Null value'), tblTermos.Verificar, "
        Query = Query & "tblTermos.Excluido "
        Query = Query & "FROM "
        Query = Query & "(tblGrupos INNER JOIN tblTermos ON tblGrupos.id = tblTermos.id_Grupo) "
        Query = Query & "LEFT JOIN ("
        Query = Query & "SELECT tblAbreviacoes.id_Termo, tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao FROM tblAbreviacoes "
        Query = Query & "INNER JOIN ("
        Query = Query & "SELECT tblAbrevAux.id_Termo, MAX(tblAbrevAux.Alterado) AS AlteradoAux FROM tblAbreviacoes tblAbrevAux GROUP BY tblAbrevAux.id_Termo) tblAbrevAux "
        Query = Query & "ON tblAbrevAux.id_Termo = tblAbreviacoes.id_Termo AND tblAbrevAux.AlteradoAux = tblAbreviacoes.Alterado) tblAbrevAux2 "
        Query = Query & "ON tblAbrevAux2.id_Termo = tblTermos.id "

If trim(UCase(txtTermo.Value)) <> "" Then
            TrataWhere Where, Query
            Query = Query & "tblTermos.Termo like '%" & trim(UCase(txtTermo.Value)) & "%' "
        End If

If chkboxSemAbreviacao.Value = True Then
            TrataWhere Where, Query
            Query = Query & "(tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao IS NULL OR tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao = '')"
        ElseIf trim(UCase(txtAbreviacao.Value)) <> "" Then
            TrataWhere Where, Query
            Query = Query & "tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao like '%" & trim(UCase(txtAbreviacao.Value)) & "%' "
        End If

If trim(UCase(cboxGrupo.Value)) <> "" Then
            cmd.CommandText = "SELECT tblGrupos.id FROM tblGrupos WHERE tblGrupos.Descricao = '" & trim(UCase(cboxGrupo.Value)) & "'"
            Set rst = cmd.Execute

TrataWhere Where, Query
            Query = Query & "tblGrupos.id = " & rst.Fields("id").Value & " "
        End If

If trim(UCase(cboxVerificar.Value)) <> "" Then
            TrataWhere Where, Query
            Query = Query & "tblTermos.Verificar = " & TrataVerificar(cboxVerificar.Value) & " "
        End If

TrataWhere Where, Query
        Query = Query & "tblTermos.Excluido = False "

Query = Query & "ORDER BY "
        Query = Query & "tblGrupos.id ASC, tblTermos.Termo ASC"

Debug.Print Query

cmd.CommandText = Query
        Set rst = cmd.Execute

lview.ListItems.Clear

i = 1

Do Until rst.EOF
            Set li = lview.ListItems.Add(, , CStr(i))

li.SubItems(1) = rst.Fields("Descricao").Value
            li.SubItems(2) = rst.Fields("Termo").Value

If IsNull(rst.Fields("Abreviacao").Value) Then
                li.SubItems(3) = ""
            Else
                li.SubItems(3) = rst.Fields("Abreviacao").Value
            End If

li.SubItems(4) = TrataVerificar(rst.Fields("Verificar").Value)

i = i + 1
            rst.MoveNext
        Loop

If lview.ListItems.Count <= 27 Then
            lview.ColumnHeaders.Item(4).Width = 125.25
            lview.ColumnHeaders.Item(3).Width = 141.75
        Else
            lview.ColumnHeaders.Item(4).Width = 119.5
            lview.ColumnHeaders.Item(3).Width = 136
        End If

DesconectaBanco cnn, rst, cmd

Exit Sub

TrataErro:

TrataErro "Erro durante a execução do procedimento ""AtualizarLista"" do form ""frmEditar""."

End Sub
    The query will be something like this:

Code:
    SELECT tblGrupos.Descricao, tblTermos.id, tblTermos.Termo, Nz(tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao, 'Null value'), tblTermos.Verificar, tblTermos.Excluido FROM (tblGrupos INNER JOIN tblTermos ON tblGrupos.id = tblTermos.id_Grupo) LEFT JOIN (SELECT tblAbreviacoes.id_Termo, tblAbreviacoes.Abreviacao FROM tblAbreviacoes INNER JOIN (SELECT tblAbrevAux.id_Termo, MAX(tblAbrevAux.Alterado) AS AlteradoAux FROM tblAbreviacoes tblAbrevAux GROUP BY tblAbrevAux.id_Termo) tblAbrevAux ON tblAbrevAux.id_Termo = tblAbreviacoes.id_Termo AND tblAbrevAux.AlteradoAux = tblAbreviacoes.Alterado) tblAbrevAux2 ON tblAbrevAux2.id_Termo = tblTermos.id WHERE tblTermos.Excluido = False ORDER BY tblGrupos.id ASC, tblTermos.Termo ASC
    Note that in this VBA code above, I'm using the Nz() to build my query for after I execute. And when this is executed an error message is showed, but if I copy this query from VBA and paste this in Access, it works normally.
    Last edited by rafaelcb; Mar 31st, 2015 at 09:27 AM.

If the query works in Access as is... then it maybe something else that's the problem. Your "error handler" covers the whole sub, so the error could be coming from anywhere in the code. It may be the query, it may not be. It doesn't help that your error trap is generic in nature.

-tg

I know that my problem is when the line below is executed because I tested line by line my program.

Code:
    Set rst = cmd.Execute
    And this message is showed: "Nz Function undefined in expression".

PowerPoster

following the thread, nz is an access function, nothing to do with excel, you would need to use a generic VBA function or a valid SQL equivalent

you can use like
    where s1.f1 is not null
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Shouldn't matter... it looks like he's running VBA code in Excel against an Access database... so as long as the connection is actually to an Access database, it should work. But I doin't see the connection string info, so who knows.

-tg

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmaruca View Post
    In your example it could also be false. IS NULL is there so you don't use "[Column]=Null"
    indeed, i did not think about booleans,my bad

Hi,

My problem was resolved! I used:
    Code:
    Iif(IsNull(table.column), 'null value', table.column) AS Value1
    ... instead of Nz() function. I didn't use the above function correctly, and because this the code wasn't working.

Thanks for everyone!