Thread: package and deployment problem

Frenzied Member

package and deployment problem

I package my application using the vb package and deployment wizard. when I installed the program it says,
    "An error occurred when registering mscomctl.ocx" and "An error occurred when registering mscomct2.ocx" and "An error occurred when registering tablctl32.ocx" and "An error occurred when registering msstdfmt.dll"

dllregisterserver in mscomctl.ocx failed. return code was: 0x8002801c

What is the problem and how can I resolve this?
    Last edited by codesearcher; Mar 24th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: package and deployment problem

The return code indicates a permission error. I suspect the user context that your setup is running in does not have write access to the HKLM hive.

On versions of Windows NT prior to Vista such setups should run in the context of a member of the Administrators or Power Users group. Either log on as another user with the necessary rights or use the old-time version of Explorer's "Run as administrator..." and enter the credentials when prompted.

On supported versions of Windows there is no insecure Power Users group anymore. For all users except the special (normally hidden) built in Administrator account Explorer's "Run as administrator..." can be used to raise an elevation dialog. If the user is a member of the Administrators group they can approve elevation, if not then "over the shoulder" credentials must be entered into the dialog.

However Windows will detect many legacy scripted setups as such and automatically raise the elevation dialog for them.

The rules change a bit if somebody has foolishly turned UAC off and left things in that insecure state.