Thread: framework 4...

Lively Member

framework 4...

Hello , I made calculator and there's some error , When i send it to someone to check it and give me ideas they told me this app can't open because they don't have framework 4... how can i make framework on calculator .

i mean to make something without download the framework for them to let it work anytime .Name:  data.png
Views: 267
Size:  24.2 KB

Re: framework 4...

use something else other than Vb.NET or C# ... both are going to require the framework in one version or another...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

So i can't take the file of framework and put in on the progect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yehya View Post
    Include the required .NET version in your project's pre-requisites.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by Yehya View Post
    That would be nice, but no. It's not A file but a SET of FILES... various DLLs ... that comprise the framework... it's a few MB large...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

how to do that man ?!

Click on the link provided in post #4
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Lively Member

i didn't understand is there another way easy ?

The other way is to download and install the .Net 4 runtimes on the target computer:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17851

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

If you're project depends on framework 4 then framework 4 or later has to exist in the client pc for your executable to run.

You've really got two options if you truly depend on 4:-
    1. Build a deployment package (as per DDay's link) and include the framework as a dependency - that will cause it to be installed if it's not already present.
    2. Somehow get the framework onto the client pc before you install your executable, probably by telling the client to download it themselves.
    For usability reasons most of us would go with option 1.

There is another option you could consider which would be to target a lower version of the framework. You can do this in the Project Properties Application tab. You can target any framework that supports all the language features you've used. For a simple calculator I doubt you've used any particularly whizzy language features so targeting an older framework will probably be fine. The client will still need to have whichever framework you've targeted or later installed.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Lively Member

if i change the target framework
    from .net framework 4.0 client profile to .net framework 2.0

does that work ?
    or i will get some errors ?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

It depends on if your calculater use any language features that wasn't available in .Net 2.0. It's impossible for us to say, since we don't have your code. But since this is a Windows Forms application it will probably work as long as you don't use LINQ. Just test it, you can always switch back if you get any errors.

Lively Member

so
    if i change the target framework
    from .net framework 4.0 client profile to .net framework 3.5 client profile

this may work or not ?

Just try it, but the target PC at least needs .Net Framework 3.5.
    Maybe it's already installed, maybe not...

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Any target framework will work if you haven't used any features that were introduced in later frameworks. We can't tell you frameworks will work and which won't because we don't know what features you've used.

Just start by targeting 2. If you app fails to compile, try targeting 3 instead. If it still fails to compile, try 3.5 and so on. Whichever is the first to compile is the oldest framework you can target (without rewriting your code).
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

All replies have been the same. All you need to do is to change the target framework and hit the Run button to test it. If you don't get any error it's fine.