Thread: Remove Ads from EVERYWHERE QUICK!

Remove Ads from EVERYWHERE QUICK!

This is a hack that the big companies like Microsoft and the Government do not want you to know about!

Get rid of ads with this easy code that you run in terminal!

[Removed by dclamp] [insert funny dd command to format entire hard drive]
    Last edited by dclamp; Mar 23rd, 2015 at 11:18 AM.

Re: Remove Ads from EVERYWHERE QUICK!

zomg magic

I didn't run the command, but is that for a Linux terminal? Because there is no sudo command in Windows.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Yeah. I wouldn't run the command if I were you. Perhaps I should remove it or alter it so that no one actually uses it to remove ads...

It replaces your entire drive with zeros. As in binary zeros.

Why would you do that?!

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Yeah. I wouldn't run the command if I were you. Perhaps I should remove it or alter it so that no one actually uses it to remove ads...
    Probably a good idea...

Years ago in the day of the floppy I passed around a cartoon about getting more hard drive space... It involved the FORMAT command.... Sure seemed funny at the time...
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Why would you do that?!
    I learned about the dd command in my digital forensics class. It is apparently a "forensically safe" method of formatting a hard drive since it writes to the hard drive on the binary level.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Probably a good idea...

Years ago in the day of the floppy I passed around a cartoon about getting more hard drive space... It involved the FORMAT command.... Sure seemed funny at the time...
    Yeah I can picture it now... Some n00b finding a way to remove ads from their computer... and blaming me.

Yeah I can picture it now... Some n00b finding a way to remove ads from their computer... and blaming me.
    Me

Fanatic Member

Wait until the lawsuits begin to stack up.

Back before viruses became big business, I wrote a pseudo-virus. It didn't do anything harmful (though it may have effectively erased unused sectors on the HDs of the day). This was back in the days of DOS, so everybody knew the DOS prompt. When the program ran, it said something like "Hit some key or your hard drive will be reformatted." No matter what they pressed, it would start writing a file to the HD over and over. The file was deleted each time, and it didn't have anything in it, but the result was that the HD light would be on constantly (they were all bright red LEDs at the time), and the HD would grind away for many seconds, certainly long enough for panic to ensue. At the end of that time, the computer would go to an A: prompt. It wasn't really an A: prompt, it was just the string A: on the screen. Various commands were intercepted and resulted in messages suggesting that the HD had no operating system, but it was just a loop that would respond to a few commands, then the program would exit and you'd be back where you started with no harm done.

The modern version of that kind of nuisance program is the one where you screen-capture the dektop, set it as the wallpaper, and hide all the icons.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Reminds me of this Dilbert from a "few" years back - it's one of my favorites.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post

It replaces your entire drive with zeros. As in binary zeros.
    I thought you had /dev/zero for both input and output (and it isn't April 1 yet) in which case it should just run endlessly, but not harm the disk. Only if you specified a device representing a disk for the output would it fill the disk with zeros. But I might not be remembering it correctly. I thought it was a nuisance command as given, not a harmful one.

I had /dev/disk0 as the second command lol. From what I read, /dev/zero is just an endless stream. Not sure what would happen if you used it as a destination...

Sinecure devotee

Yes, it provides an endless stream of zeros, but I'm pretty sure it is also used as a sink, like /dev/null.
    There is a reason to choose it over /dev/null in some cases, but I don't remember off the top of my head why and have to start working so can't look it up.

And we all thought linux was clever.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Sinecure devotee

Depends on the definition of clever. Perhaps clever enough that it is harder to program a virus for it, but not so clever in that it is easier to "program" the novice user to destroy the OS himself in many, seemingly obscure ways.

?any one else confused

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    ?any one else confused
    If you go to a command prompt and type 'removed by dclamp', it replaces all ads with boxes which say 'removed by dclamp'. It may say 'command not found' or something like that. You have to try it several times for it to take, for some reason there's a delay in the parser activation on opening the command line. You'll have to check the process/task manager and see if sachets.exe is running with the correct command prompt. This is a delayed start process.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."